October 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Antibiotic for the win! Still not well, but certainly getting better.

Karlach seems like a good character in BG3. However, I've never been fond of barbarian types. She managed to get herself killed in her very first fight. I used the game's system to create a monk character earlier, so I used that same system to switch Karlach to monk. Her personality isn't exactly the typical monk, but I think it might work out.
She could be the first 'angry monk' character archetype!

Reactions: neogunhero
I've been getting into the Blightfall Minecraft modpack. It's an entirely pre-made world almost entirely covered by the Taint from the Thaumcraft mod and the goal is to remove all of the taint. You get a quest book that guides you along the different mods included in the modpack, as well as to the couple of teleport beacons dotted around the world in different biomes which you can use to set up bases once you've activated them.

I haven't gotten very far yet, mostly because the modpack adds some complexities to upgrading your tools. You can't mine iron with stone tools, you need to find copper or the newly added promethium ore first, but ore generation is significantly dialled back and copper specifically is a lot more rare than normal. I eventually looked up directions to my first copper because I just could not manage to find any.

Luckily, once you do find your first copper, you can order more with the points you get from completing quests. Which can also be used to get random seeds, saplings, sugar cane and a bunch of other stuff.

Now once I find some gold I can start crafting higher grade metal tools and get started on the magic mods, at which point I can finally start automating stuff.

More Far Cry 6 last night. Just goofed around but did get a few missions completed. I’ve been turning off the HUD and enjoying the sights while flying around in my car/helicopter thing. One thing I find a bit weird compared to other FC games is the third person cutscenes. They really emphasized the player character as being more integral to the story in this game, which isn’t bad at all, just different and never fully clicked in my head until last night.

I also switched from Story Mode to Action Mode which is supposed to make the gameplay difficulty a bit more in line with your traditional shooters but it’s still a bit easy. Enemies do deal more damage towards me but it’s not much of a challenge over all. I turned it on right before a mission where you storm Castillo’s compound trying to find him, and there were a good 20-30 enemies in there you had to fight. I noticed myself taking more damage but killing enemies just as easily as I was on Story Mode.

I also got an hour in on Rogue Legacy 2. The game is great but it’s lost its initial excitement over me, perhaps due to me not playing it very often. I bought it maybe 2-3 weeks ago but only played for a good 5 hours total. It’s a damn good game but maybe I’m not in the right mindset to play it a bunch. I’m also busy playing Minecraft most of the time I get a chance to play games.

I’ve been wanting to get a new game to really dive into but I also have a growing backlog that’s starting to eat at me. Earlier this year I started Death Stranding again, got the furthest of the 3 times I’ve attempted to play it, but just fell off. I also need to beat Yakuza 0, I believe I’m over halfway done and could just grind through the rest of the story if I wanted to. Those are the two biggest games I want to finish.

I’m actually quite proud at how many games I’ve finished this year. I don’t tend to complete games fully, so the amount that I have completed so far is really good for me. This year I’ve beaten Cyberpunk 2077, Dead Island 2, DUSK, and Lightyear Frontier (what was available at Early Access launch). May not seem like a big list but it definitely is an improvement over previous years. I have a really bad habit of starting a game but never finishing it. I think last year the only game I fully finished was Cult of the Lamb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts