October 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I FINALLY am getting around to Aliens: Dark Descent and have to say it’s a great game. My first go at it I was thinking how dumb it was cause I figured I was supposed to engage the xenos like xcom… and then I realized I was the dumb one cause in no Alien movie are people like, “yeah let’s see how many times we can survive an onslaught of xenos.”

The sneaking around the levels is pretty clever and although the combat could use some polishing I think they really captured the vibe of James Cameron’s Aliens.

I had to take a break from Elden Ring SOTE because I was going a little too hard into it and was starting to feel like it was becoming a little bit of a grind. Always a good point to step away because even the best games get grindy if you keep playing them non-stop.

I FINALLY am getting around to Aliens: Dark Descent and have to say it’s a great game. My first go at it I was thinking how dumb it was cause I figured I was supposed to engage the xenos like xcom… and then I realized I was the dumb one cause in no Alien movie are people like, “yeah let’s see how many times we can survive an onslaught of xenos.”

The sneaking around the levels is pretty clever and although the combat could use some polishing I think they really captured the vibe of James Cameron’s Aliens.

I had to take a break from Elden Ring SOTE because I was going a little too hard into it and was starting to feel like it was becoming a little bit of a grind. Always a good point to step away because even the best games get grindy if you keep playing them non-stop.
I'm waiting for another good Alien game which has a main focus of singleplayer. I'll take another Isolation, since there are rumors now floating around one's coming, but I'd really prefer one with more combat.

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Decided to continue my old Battletech save. Turns out, I was mid-campaign on it, so I just picked up where I left off. Have to say, I like everything about that game, no exaggeration. From the UI to the combat to the music. Man, the music is good.

Also, I've had this nibbling idea of trying to complete XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Impossible difficulty. Watched a few guides, readied myself and dove into it. And yeah... Don't think I can do it. Enemies consistently hitting my guys for 6 damage in full cover from the other end of the map is tough to swallow :D

@Pifanjr @neogunhero You all need to get into redstone if you aren't already. Also, an automatic chicken spawner/cooker is super simple to make, gets you endless cooked chicken and feathers. (if you already have a lot of chickens)

But before I got exhausted of Minecraft I did a bunch of things with redstone--mob spawners, auto doors automatic farms, etc. It really extends the life of the game if you can get into it. It's also fun to spawn in a few command blocks and see what all you can do with those.

I did a bunch of custom Hunger Game maps (this was before battle royale became popular), where it would automatically spawn some items that you had to race other players for and then have a fight to the death. Of course, it would also spawn the players in to begin with so no one had an advantage. Did a lot of redstone in these maps.

I also did some custom dungeon maps using redstone and command blocks, and the kids would spawn in at the beginning and have to make it to the end. Were some light puzzles and a bunch of monsters to fight. Was a lot of fun making them.

What I'm trying to say is, if you get bored of the game, there's a lot more game there that you might be interested in.

I've dabbled a bit with redstone, but like I said previously, I dislike having to fiddle with all of the wires. I made some really simple stuff for my kid where she had to choose one of three levers, with one opening the next door and the other two spawning monsters or lava or something. Even with something so simple, just having to put all the redstone underground and covering it all up is a bother to me.

Decided to continue my old Battletech save. Turns out, I was mid-campaign on it, so I just picked up where I left off. Have to say, I like everything about that game, no exaggeration. From the UI to the combat to the music. Man, the music is good.

Also, I've had this nibbling idea of trying to complete XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Impossible difficulty. Watched a few guides, readied myself and dove into it. And yeah... Don't think I can do it. Enemies consistently hitting my guys for 6 damage in full cover from the other end of the map is tough to swallow :D

Battletech is great. I have 211 hours in it and would love to play more, but the one thing I'm over with it is the load times. They're just excruciating, especially with mods. I've only dabbled a little bit with BEX, because I just can't take how long it takes to load and unfortunately, it disables the mid-mission saves.

Been thinking I should maybe just play the game unmodded again so I can do those mid-mission saves and reduce the load times back to "normal". I did get 200-hours of fun out of it unmodded.

Also, I think Commander Ironman is really the definitive way to play XCOM anyway, so no need for Impossible!

Ah, my apologies. I have no memories of having this conversation before. I have some memory issues.

Don't worry, it wasn't in a conversation with you, it was in one of my posts about my Minecraft game. You might have just not read it at all.

While I lost all motivation to continue my Minecraft game, I do still kind of want to play more Minecraft. I'd been wanting to play the Thaumcraft 4 mod again, as I absolutely loved it the first time I saw it, so I'm planning on playing the Blightfall modpack, which has a pre-built world including a story based around Thaumcraft.

But first I'm going to see if I can manage to squeeze in a couple extra demos from Steam Next. I've been having a lot of fun with my kid just trying out several games today, but there are a couple I saw that she wasn't interested in that I would like to try out.

I'd forgotten how fun it can be to just play a demo, even if I have no intention of buying the full game. Sometimes it's just nice to have a bunch of short, novel experiences.

I picked it up again a couple days ago and made my way to the final boss. Apparently it was nerfed in a patch a while ago, but I am not seeing it. Havent managed it, in a couple of hours of trying so far I got it to second phase twice.

Still playing Pillars of Eternity 2, I tried to make my way to the end game but turns out what might be the final battle is pretty tough at level 16 so I carried on exploring to level up. It doesnt feel too grindy yet because the combat is mostly fun and theres a fair amount of written content I didnt cover.

I take back what I said about the turn based combat being as good as Baldurs Gate 3 though. Ive had ups and downs with at as its gone on. At normal difficulty most encounters arent interesting at all. Maybe its because it was designed first as a RTWP game, so slowing down small low level encounters to turn based makes for bad pacing. A fight with a couple of Xaurips or something that should be over in a few seconds with a pause and couple clicks now takes a minute. Turning up the difficulty helps a lot, bigger battles demand some thought then but the same problem still exists with the random lesser encounters. To be fair there arent all that many of them, but its still annoying when it happens.

Good game though, I think Ive liked it more than the first all in all.

Last edited:
This was kind of hilarious. I was playing one of my simulator games, and I went up to one of my employees and gave him a location to go take care of. As I was walking to the next employee, the first employee backed over me with his truck. I clipped into the trailer of the truck and couldn't get out. He just drove off with me in the trailer. Fortunately he drove into a forbidden part of the map, which knocked me back out into the street. :ROFLMAO:

Oct 19, 2024
Visit site
2024 is packed with exciting PC games! Some top picks include S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl—a survival horror FPS set in a radioactive open world, Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater—a faithful remake with updated graphics, and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown—a fun platformer. Check them out!

Ah, my apologies. I have no memories of having this conversation before. I have some memory issues.

Don't worry, it wasn't in a conversation with you, it was in one of my posts about my Minecraft game. You might have just not read it at all.
he will be in trouble when its tests time... not reading every thread? The nerve of some people... Colif runs before being asked to show proof he wasted his time reading 11900 threads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts