PCG Article Obsidian's road to the future

Sarafan

Community Contributor
There has been an article published about Obsidian by PC Gamer recently: https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-just-had-one-of-its-best-years-ever-without-releasing-a-single-rpg/.

In short, it's sum up of Obsidian's development record in the last 10 years or so. As we all know the studio is well-known for great RPGs. Recently they decided to try something different and developed Grounded which is a co-op survival game. Generally it's not my kind of game, but I have nothing against it. Everybody needs to work on something new from time to time. They also released a smaller title, but not everybody knows about it. Pentiment is a mix of adventure, RPG and detective game (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205520/Pentiment/). Many people compare it to Disco Elysium, but it's something more unique. I didn't have an occasion to play it yet, but it's claimed to be one of the best titles developed by Obsidian. Too bad that it probably won't achieve a success that it deserves.

Anyway, Obsidian is currently working on two bigger projects: Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2. Both are first perspective RPGs. I'm especially waiting for Avowed. Claimed by many to be Skyrim in the world of Eora, although the only thing we've got so far is a teaser and some pre-alpha leaked screenshots. It'll be cool to visit the Pillars of Eternity world from the first perspective, but I'm wondering whether Obsidian will target in a full-fledged open world like in Fallout New Vegas or something smaller, divided to areas.

In general I liked The Outer Worlds, but the game definitely isn't on my top list. That's why I'm not hyped for The Outer Worlds 2. I'd certainly love to see some isometric RPG in place of it, not necessarily Pillars of Eternity 3. My dream game is something based on D&D, preferably Neverwinter Nights 3, but I doubt that will happen. Or maybe a new Fallout since both Bethesda and Obsidian are now owned by Microsoft. This one has a bigger chance, I guess, but it won't be isometric for sure.

What about you? Have you played Grounded or Pentiment already? What do you think about Obsidian's plans for the future? Any wishes?

Last edited:
I haven't played any of them, but I've heard a lot of great things about them. People in another forum I visit are speaking very highly of Pentiment. I'm usually not into 2D retro games, but as highly as they're speaking of it, I may have to give it a shot, especially since it's on Game Pass.

I've heard a lot of great things about Grounded, too. I'm not usually into multiplayer games, but I've heard it's fun as a single player game, too.

I've never heard of Avowed, but now I'm interested. I'm sure it will be out years before TES VI.

Interested in Avowed, I should probably get Deadfire first. Never finished Pillars 1, but I played something like 120 hours over two playthroughs and liked it. The world building was good and I'm glad they didnt abandon it, guess it makes sense for them to continue with the setting practically speaking.

Excited to try Pentiment one day, it really sounds like it was made with passion. Grounded doesnt sound like my kind of thing at all, but heard its really good.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
That looks like it could be very awesome. But I want to see gameplay to see what it will actually be like. I'll definitely keep my eye on this. Thanks for the recommendation.

I heard there were some problems during development. After the DLCs for Pillars of Eternity 2 a lot of Obsidian developers felt burned-out. That's why they were transferred temporarily to Grounded and Pentiment and it's one of the reasons why we don't have any details regarding Avowed. I'm in good spirits when it comes to game however. I'm sure Obsidian will stand up to its legend.

Interested in Avowed, I should probably get Deadfire first. Never finished Pillars 1, but I played something like 120 hours over two playthroughs and liked it.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is better in every aspect than the first one, if only you can bear the setting. It's good to finish PoE1 first, because PoE2 is a direct continuation.

Pentiment is a mix of adventure, RPG and detective game (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205520/Pentiment/). Many people compare it to Disco Elysium, but it's something more unique. I didn't have an occasion to play it yet, but it's claimed to be one of the best titles developed by Obsidian. Too bad that it probably won't achieve a success that it deserves.
I've looked at Pentiment, but the chosen art style of the game just didn't entice me (I'm not being negative to the art style, just that it doesn't appeal to me personally).

I'm especially waiting for Avowed. Claimed by many to be Skyrim in the world of Eora, although the only thing we've got so far is a teaser and some pre-alpha leaked screenshots. It'll be cool to visit the Pillars of Eternity world from the first perspective, but I'm wondering whether Obsidian will target in a full-fledged open world like in Fallout New Vegas or something smaller, divided to areas.
Avowed is at the top of my hopeful list of upcoming PC games, even though we know little about how it will play. Will it be similar to the open world gameplay of Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas, or more akin to the Outer Worlds gameplay? An open world RPG set in the world of Eora, whether or not it relates to POE 1 &2 (yet still retain the lore) would be my wish.

In general I liked The Outer Worlds, but the game definitely isn't on my top list. That's why I'm not hyped for The Outer Worlds 2.
I also like The Outer Worlds (and the 1st DLC), but I really have no desire to play it again. It had some excellent moments, but overall I felt the story, gameplay, combat, companions, and optional conversation choices were a bit shallow. Nothing terrible, but it lacked the depth of Obsidian's previous games.

What about you? Have you played Grounded or Pentiment already? What do you think about Obsidian's plans for the future? Any wishes?
At the top of my Obsidian wish list:

1-
A full remake of Fallout New Vegas, including cut content, a bigger NV strip, and more NPCs
2-Fallout New Vegas 2, continuing the story of FONV years later
3-An isometric RPG which Obsidian does so well, preferably Pillars of Eternity 3 that continues the story after the endgame of POE2, either with previous characters or events that happen years later.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've looked at Pentiment, but the chosen art style of the game just didn't entice me (I'm not being negative to the art style, just that it doesn't appeal to me personally).

I was skeptical at first, but the more I look on the materials from the game, the better is my reception of its artistic style. So I might love it at some point.

1- A full remake of Fallout New Vegas, including cut content, a bigger NV strip, and more NPCs

I'd also love to see a remake of FNV, although there's plenty of mods, so you can make a remake yourself. :)

3-An isometric RPG which Obsidian does so well, preferably Pillars of Eternity 3 that continues the story after the endgame of POE2, either with previous characters or events that happen years later.

I play less isometric RPGs these days, but would certainly reserve some time for Obsidian's game. It could be PoE3 or something on the D&D license. I'm afraid however that they will focus on FPP RPGs in the foreseeable future. The sales records for PoE2 weren't good enough and I'm afraid it'll be the same with Pentiment.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I played Grounded when it first launched into early access. It was a good survival game, but I never really got into it for some reason and just quit playing at some point.

Pentiment is on my todo list,

As far as the future goes, I want Avowed some time this afternoon. That's not too much to ask, I don't think. A new Fallout would be good, but let's stick to Avowed for now.

I tried Grounded some time ago and it was interesting and unfortunately a bit buggy for my taste. I often got stuck and had to rely on earlier saves and as far as I remember these were checkpoints.

Avowed is nothing more than a fever dream and I have not seen much news in that department since the trailer. That tells me that they are either not prioritizing the game for some reason or that they are going to do a surprise release. The chance of a surprise release is literarily zero, but I can manage those odds.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

TRENDING THREADS