New DirectX update causing crashes

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
When I turned on my PC today, I got an update for DirectX. Well, now I cannot play any game for more than ten minutes without a system crash occurring. I tried Need for Speed: Heat and F.E.A.R. as two tests. Same issue with both games. Tried system restore, still the same issue. Has this happened to anyone else?

PCG Jarred

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Seems more likely that something else is causing problems rather than DirectX. Maybe a file or driver got corrupted in the update, or maybe it's something else. Post specs, though.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
When I turned on my PC today, I got an update for DirectX. Well, now I cannot play any game for more than ten minutes without a system crash occurring. I tried Need for Speed: Heat and F.E.A.R. as two tests. Same issue with both games. Tried system restore, still the same issue. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just to clarify in my own head, was it a DirectX update or a graphics driver update? I was prompted for an Nvidia driver update a couple days ago, but I haven't let it install yet. I find new driver updates can cause crashing and other issues when they are brand-new.

I find new driver updates can cause crashing and other issues when they are brand-new.

especially Nvidia drivers

I don't see an update for DX11 recently and DX12 is built into win10 and doesn't have a stand alone installer. Expect it would get installed via the windows store now - reliability history not showing any for me in last month. I guess he could be on Win 7.

I assume Shaines won't kill me for suggesting this link - run ddu and reinstall GPU drivers and see if that helps

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Just to clarify in my own head, was it a DirectX update or a graphics driver update? I was prompted for an Nvidia driver update a couple days ago, but I haven't let it install yet. I find new driver updates can cause crashing and other issues when they are brand-new.

Agreed on this one. I tend to not install new drivers until they've been around for a bit to ensure there aren't any issues. The only exception is if I'm playing a game at launch and running in to some issues that the newest drivers fix.

It also depend on age of the card, I find newer Nvidia drivers aren't going to help my GTX 980 and are more written for the new RTX family of cards. Hence I don't actually install the Nvidia drivers using Geforce Experience and instead just run windows update and use the older drivers MIcrosoft have. They are all made by Nvidia, the age varies.

TRENDING THREADS