My old PC is dying and I need a new one

I am thinking of going all in and be poor for this decade. Do these components work well together or would you choose something else?

Cooler Master H500
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER DUAL EVO
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or I9 9900K
CM Masterliquid ML240L RGB
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
Samsung PM981a SSD 1TB M.2
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING -AM4
Corsair TX750M, 750W Gold
Windows 10 Home

Last edited:
What is this for?

If it's just for gaming, something less expensive would do just as well near enough. or do you have other uses? Spending £300 more on an i9 9900k instead of an R5 3600 (for instance) doesn't really get you much for most gaming situations.

And what resolution and refresh rate is your monitor? A 2080 is overkill for anything less than 1440p high refresh. Not futureproof, just overkill.

Reactions: Frindis
@Oussebon Thank you for the questions! The PC will be used mainly for video/sound rendering/editing and gaming. I was thinking of maybe streaming with it also and using my old computer for capturing (while it lasts). As for the main screen, I am thinking of a 2560x1440, 165hz/1440p.

Last edited:
I would be looking at an R9 3900x over the 9900k for those uses (esp video rendering), with an X570 mobo, and an RTX 2070 Super for the GPU (it being about as powerful as a 2080 non-Super and usually a lot cheaper, at least at UK prices).

What's the full budget (+currency)for the system including monitor? Can always suggest a Partpicker list :)

@Oussebon Not found a screen yet, but the price without one is around 2,7K. I have not built a PC from scratch before and knowing my 10 thumbs, I'll be better off buying a custom-built PC. I was actually thinking of using my Old PC for tinkering and learning the ropes without being afraid of destroying anything.

Hmm, the R9 3900x got more cores, so I can see how it would be better for rendering. Do you think 2080 super would just be overkill even for what I mentioned?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
If you can hold out for another 5-6 months, you'd most likely be able to upgrade to Zen 3 and Nvidia's 3000 series cards. I know, you can get stuck perpetually waiting for the next big thing, but given they're both supposed to launch this year, and the upgrade should be significant over the current gen, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend waiting. If your old PC is just dying and not dead, I'd try to hold on a little longer.

@Kaizer777 Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty horrible at waiting when I am almost over the fence, but you never know:) I guess some CPR could be used if I decide to play the waiting game.

Edit: Hmm, I was also thinking about that Cyberpunk 2077 will be releasing in September, so there could potentially be some nice deals to get then also.

Last edited:
Do you think 2080 super would just be overkill even for what I mentioned?
It's not that it's overkill, it's more that - depending on your local prices - it's bad value. Being barely any better than a 2070 Super but costing a lot more, while being little cheaper than a 2080 Super despite being somewhat less powerful.

A GPU of that kind of spec is a good match for 1440p high refresh gaming

TRENDING THREADS