MASSIVE FPS drop (half) when playing on 4K TV

May 29, 2020
Visit site
A bit long post because I have tried everything I could before posting.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00 GHz, no overclock
GPU: GTX 1808 Ti, 11 GB VRAM, No Overclock
RAM: 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Description of the problem:

I have been playing NieR: Automata on my computer for a while now. As I have found out from an earlier discussion, the reason my 144 Hz refresh rate monitor is always at 60 Hz is the game has a bad "PC port". OK, fine. No problem. I am OK with 60 FPS.

However, I have a Samsung Q6FN 4K TV with max refresh rate 120 Hz. I like playing on the big screen since I am not really into competitiive high FPS games but just RPGs and care about the visuals more. I only played on it earlier and it was fine I remember.

However, today, when I tried playing it on the TV again after months, I found it was VERY blurry and lagging and just not even playable. Bizarre. I did notice the graphics had the option of 4K resolution in the game menu so I set it to that. I thought that's the reason because my 1080 Ti can't handle 4K @ 60 FPS. But nope. It's stuck at a perpetual 30/31 FPS when I use nVidia in-game overlay to check.

I tried everything from lowering resolution to 1440p and even FHD and also graphics presets from high to medium to low. NOTHING worked. Except the window. I changed from fullscreen to Windowed mode and IMMEDIATELY it shot up to 60 for both 1440p and FHD and even 45 FPS for 4K. I switch back to fullscreen and it immediately locks back at 30 FPS. I have tried everything in the main display settings of Windows, nVidia control panel, whatnot.

I then checked on my computer again to make sure it's not a problem with the game itself and it's still running on my computer at 60 FPS. So it's definitely a TV issue. I tried even an 8K HDMI 2.1 cable but no use so the DP to HDMI cable is not the bottleneck. I tried game settings on and off on the TV. No change. I checked many forums on the internet but 90% of them are about fullscreen INCREASING FPS not decreasing it. I have literally exhausted everything and just want some help. It really shouldn't be too hard to play on 60 FPS at 1440p. I do it on the computer all the time. Why can't it just replicate it on the TV like it does on the computer monitor?

Thanks for all your help!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I don't own a 4k tv (mine is still 1080p lol) but what I found so far: Instead of trying different cables, have you tried using different ports on the TV? As what I read in a steam topic now is that the TV may have different HDMI ports, where only 1 is a 2.1 port.

Page 138-139 it says 40k above with more than 30hz is only supported with HDMI 2.0 mode. That's not the cable, it's either the port or a setting on your Samsung TV.

Also, page 136 states that when UDH color is OFF the max refresh rate is 30hz. You need to turn it ON to run at 60 hz.
Page 95 refers to how to set that on your TV.

Well that are a few options to try I think :p

Reactions: bloodtalon
May 29, 2020
Visit site
I don't own a 4k tv (mine is still 1080p lol) but what I found so far: Instead of trying different cables, have you tried using different ports on the TV? As what I read in a steam topic now is that the TV may have different HDMI ports, where only 1 is a 2.1 port.

Page 138-139 it says 40k above with more than 30hz is only supported with HDMI 2.0 mode. That's not the cable, it's either the port or a setting on your Samsung TV.

Also, page 136 states that when UDH color is OFF the max refresh rate is 30hz. You need to turn it ON to run at 60 hz.
Page 95 refers to how to set that on your TV.

Well that are a few options to try I think
Hey thanks so much. I just tried borderless windowed mode with an external tool. It was still stuck at 30 fps strangely. Then I enabled HDMI UHD for THAT port and it became 60 fps. And it's basically like fullscreen so I am really happy until I get a full solution for the fullscreen mode. Thanks so much!

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

TRENDING THREADS