Is the RTS genre dead?

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Growing up the RTS genre was always a favorite, the Command and Conquer series, Supreme Commander, etc. The last great RTS I can remember playing, and still do occasionally, is the Company of Heroes series. I have tried things like Planetary Annihilation and Ashes of Singularity, but it almost seems like the genre is regressing and the games aren't as good as things released 15 years ago. Is there anything on the horizon that looks promising? I am hoping the genre is not as dead as it appears.

Reactions: Sarafan
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello!

The latest real-time strategy game I played a lot with lots of excitement is Command and Conquer: Generals (Zero Hour). I wish they develop a game like this one.

Cheers,

Sarafan

Community Contributor
The only bigger RTS games on the horizon are remasters: Warcraft 3 and Command & Conquer. There's also a niche project called Sea Power, but it's not a classical representative of the genre. So yes, the genre is pretty much dead unfortunately. But this can change in the future. Classic, isometric cRPGs were also dead 10 years ago and they returned in glory. Maybe RTS games will return some day as well.

Reactions: Cooper88
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I know what you mean. The last RTS that got released that got me interested in a new mechanic was R.U.S.E.

There is a new RTS coming that is trying to mix up some of the conventions of the genre (full disclosure; I work for the studio making it). You might want to check it out, it's called NeuroSlicers (https://www.neuroslicers.game/) and they are doing some PVP testing on their Discord server at the week ends to (www.discord.gg/neuroslicers)

Reactions: DreamerOne
Command & Conquer Remastered coming soon, I'm quite surprised EA hasn't canned it yet considering OpenRA has been out for years and already does a great job putting C&C, RA95, and Dune in High Definition.

It's sad that they (EA) keep having to rehash the best RTS games from the 90's instead of just writing new ones. What is so hard about keeping that same epic gameplay, maybe amping the graphics up a bit, and a new story? Where's my Command & Conquer 5 with that classic RTS gameplay and a new story featuring Joe Kucan as Kane?

Reactions: Cooper88

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, it's not QUITE dead, but it was coughing up blood this morning.

It got a nasty kick to the teeth because console controllers couldn't really deal with the games. Now more and more PC gamers are insisting on using controllers so...

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Command & Conquer Remastered coming soon, I'm quite surprised EA hasn't canned it yet considering OpenRA has been out for years and already does a great job putting C&C, RA95, and Dune in High Definition.

From what I know OpenRA uses the same assets as the original games. The remastered versions from EA will use updated assets, so the games will look a lot better in higher resolutions. Here's a comparison:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPOr8PxeXk

Last edited:
Reactions: Volley

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Genre isn't dead, but isn't doing great either.
Outside of few indie titles that are either throwback to classic era of RTS (Bannerman) or are trying to experiment with the genre (Tooth and Tail, They're Milions), the only "big" games are remasters.

StarCraft II is king of this particular hill for years and seems it will remain there with the esport scene still going and even growing in last two years.

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I really miss proper RTS campaigns. I do recommend playing Grey Goo, which is probably the last RTS campaign that I enjoyed (I still have an extra key somewhere if anyone is interested). I hope we'll see a revival from smaller studios, like Iron Harvest which plays like Company of Heroes already.

Feb 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm a RTS from the old games like Dune too.

I found a lot of cool modern one. COH is great one. The second is not so old. I found another one on Microsoft Store that lead me to believe the RTS genre is far from finish.

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I feel like it's dead, there hasn't been a really good AAA quality RTS game in years. But fortunately (at least for me) playing older RTS games is still a ton of fun.

I grew up on RTS aswell and I'm saddened to see how unpopular it is these days.

Reactions: IndecentLouie

TRENDING THREADS