Is it possible to user damage and bend pins of an undamaged DDR3 memory DIMM connector socket?

Is it possible to user damage and bend pins of an undamaged DDR3 memory DIMM connector socket?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi

I inserted a memory module into a DDR3 240 pins DIMM connector-socket of a new EVGA motherboard. First insertion of a memory module in that motherboard memory socket..

Being that DIMM sockets connectors have to have both latches down, are keyed for inserting the memory module only one way and that the memory module has to go into the channels on each sides of the socket to be able to insert it. The pins in a DIMM connector - socket are tensioned with a bend to contact the memory module contact pads on the sides. The pins have no jagged edges or ways of hooking. You could put a screwdriver in the socket - connector the pins will bend away and come back to their initial position. There is to my knowledge no way that a user could bend pins by inserting the proper memory module and even the wrong one just won't fit and get close to the pins. In development and engineering the term used is electrician proof.

Is it possible to user damage and bend pins of a physically undamaged 240 pin DDR3 memory DIMM connector socket?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I think technically you should be able, but I think that requires so much force that people already will have realized there's something not right.

Basically everything can be broken, even this :) But I think it only can be broken when people do it on purpose.

Reactions: Oussebon
NB same topics on other forums:

The OP provided more context in the EVGA topic.

The consensus of the answers seemed to be as above, that's it's very, very, very difficult to do if installing the memory properly. It'll be hard to show any damage wasn't user error. Perhaps if there were photos of the mobo before installation they might show the pins already not sitting right, but I can't imagine many of us photograph a brand new mobo that passes normal visual inspection before using it...

TRENDING THREADS