Is anyone here playing Escape From Tarkov?

Jan 13, 2020
twitch.tv
Despite the recent controversy the game looks incredible, I've been logging serious hours watching streamers contend with its systems while going about my daily work.

Is anyone here playing it? Do you have any starting recommendations for how to get started/what edition to buy/why someone should take the dive?

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I thankfully got a key for the early alpha due to press reasons. I would be seriously mad if I had paid any money from it. Especially since they don't allow refunds (which is technically illegal in the EU).

I dislike the game on two aspects:
1. Gameplay Design
2. Developers

I think that the core design of the game is flawed and not that great. It does some "fake realism" like SCUM. Where they claim that our game is HYPER REALISTIC!!11. Bro, you gotta take care of your hydration, nutrients, pulse, blood pressure. HYPER REAAALIIISSSSM.

In the end you play around with values in 0,1-1% range and nothing really matters that much in the end. Its all bloated and pretty fake. They also don't care about balancing at all. Low Level players with no or very basic gear have to face grouped up players with Gucci Gear. A lot of the early adopters have asked for some kind of gear score system that would not let this happen. At least for the "normal mode". The devs promised a lot and one empty promise is the "open world". You are supposedly capable to player all the levels combined as one big map, with no time limitations and a lot of players. Considering how well the medium sized maps run (not good), I doubt we will ever see this happen or if we do, it will be borderline unplayable and certainly not enjoyable.

At least some key figures of the Development Team also react extremely unprofessional. When known "Netcode Analysis" Youtuber Battlenonsense did review of the netcode (it was not good), the CEO of the company basically claimed that it is all fake news. Some other statements past and previous also dont make want to support that game and company in any way.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Yes, a friend gifted me the game 2 years ago, I stopped playing about a year ago cause my wife and I had a kid, but now I'm back into it.

I have the standard edition which is great considering the love/hate relationship with this game. If you spend the money to get the EoD version you get a much bigger stash for your loot, but honestly I think that just leads to "gear fear".

In terms of starting tips, just try to do the tasks that you can collect from the traders and level up your PMC. The game is much easier to learn if you can discord squad up with someone who has been playing for a while. Now I know enough that I mostly do solo runs, but the game is substantially more forgiving if you have a partner or squad to work with. If you start out solo it can be really frustrating getting killed because 75% of the time you won't know from where you were killed - just fade to black.

Once you know the layout of the maps it gets easier, so Scav runs are your best bet. Also spawn during daytime hours. Going into a night raid with no night vision is a death sentence.

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been playing Tarkov for over 2 years now. It's had it's mad crazy bugs, hackers and all the usual stuff that comes with new games in Alpha/Beta stages. Many if not most of which no longer appear in the game today (I am not saying it is 100% bug free, as its still in beta, but it's not far off).

I will assume that the two people before me haven't played since 0.12 patch?

The game has had a complete turnaround with the introduction of the hideout patch 0.12 (which I personally wasn't looking forward to but actually quite like it). New mechanics have been introduced and a flea market and it is playing so smoothly.

The game is far more optimised than it once was, every gun, every attachment, every mod is "real", meaning they exist in the real world. Every noise is a real noise that the Battlestate guys went out and recorded then used in game, these devs have spent hours upon hours creating a game that is not only unique to anything you will have played before but enjoyable.

I bought the top package quite early on because I saw the potential, its a survival shooter. You die you lose the loot you are carrying, and you will die, over and over again. It can be brutal. But it has rewards too, those times you do win and extract with bags full of loot makes it worth while and so rewarding. Buying the standard package grants you a small stash (bank), which will fill up quickly with guns, armour, meds, keys, quest items, hideout items etc etc You have the option to increase your stash in the hideout but will take some serious time and energy (with EOD edition your stash is already maxed out). Faction with the traders is starts slightly higher with the E.O.D package also, so it's not as difficult to level up with the traders and gain better/cheaper items sooner.

It is not an easy game by any stretch and takes time to learn and understand, and the learning curve is bloody steep. But if you stick with it it will make sense, like you say you have been watching streamers for a while so you should have some advantage to understanding the game.

I bought it on release and probably played an hour of it. That hour was spent being extremely confused on what to do.

I have always been meaning to just knuckle down and learn the game, but I really struggle to get into it.

A couple of things to know before buying:

1. You will lose your gear, so do not get too attached to it.
2. Deep focus on taking things slow, listening and having the right armor/ammo/attachments for your deploying character.
3. If you run around a lot and do not take into consideration what you are running on/through, there is a very high chance of an early trip to the graveyard.
4. Begin with a standard edition and work your way up or just buy a better secure container at the in-game market.
5. Knowing your map is essential, especially the exit points as you will need to get to a safe exit.
6. Soloing is hard, but possible.
7. When it comes to preparing for deployment, bring more than just enough. Be sure you are ready for a fight. So, don't skimp out on your items, especially if you are going in solo.
8. Get used to dying, A LOT!

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I bought it on release and probably played an hour of it. That hour was spent being extremely confused on what to do.

I have always been meaning to just knuckle down and learn the game, but I really struggle to get into it.
Hey Dan,
If you are from the UK there is a facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/342525452872568/) who regularly try and help out people who are new. They have a discord so you can use voice chat and group up - loads of newer people joining at the moment also looking to group up and learn.

Reactions: Rensje and Round

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I bought it years ago but never played it much! Tried to reinstall it last night and now I'm getting a weird error, unfortunately. :(

I've heard many people are having this issue lately. With it's burst of recent popularity matchmaking has also ranged from 4 minutes to 20 minutes, so maybe wait a week then give it a shot. It's such a worthwhile experience, completely unique.

Reactions: Round
Is this game actually any good, though? It looks kind of intruiging and I like the idea that it's a slower and more methodical game than many of the twitchy multiplayer shooters that mostly reward quick reflexes and perfect hand-eye coordination, but when I actually sit down to watch some gameplay of it the game just seems downright hostile to newcomers.

I also take issue with the fact they charge at least €35,- for a product that is far from finished, even happily charging far more than that just to give you some extra stash space. Path of Exile charges you in-game for extra stash tabs, but that game is free to play. From the €79,99 tier and above (you wot, mate?) you also get an 'initially good standing with all in-game traders'. Tell me how that plus the extra starting equipment is not simply giving players who are willing to spend more a direct in-game advantage.

Also, the highest buy-in tier for this beta game is €109,99. What. The. Actual. Flipendo.

I am sure this game has its merits, but no video game is worth that kind of money, particularly not one that is unfinished. It's all well and good that it's very realistic and that the gun modeling and customisation is unparalleled, but that does not actually make it any more fun to play. Particularly for newcomers, I might actually be preventing them from having any fun because it's just so damn arcane.

For now, unless they drop the insane pricing and just give everyone the same in-game 'rewards' (or lack thereof) regardless of which edition they buy, I think I'll stick with Hunt: Showdown. That's another PvPvE online shooter I really love, and although it looks very different it shares a lot of ideas and systems with Tarkov. I would argue though that in its current state it is a much better game, less impenetrable for newcomers, much more interesting visually and also vastly more interesting in terms of the game's setting and atmosphere.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I think there is a huge difference between the perception of the game and how it really plays. Also thanks to the direct and indirect marketing.

The game often likes to present itself as super realistic and "tactical" and I think its not. A lot of the gun stuff does not make a huge difference. The biggest difference is what optic you have on the gun and thats pretty much it. That 2% less recoil you may get from a different stock is not important or noticeable.

I also find that the core gameplay pretty boring, since it usually punishes active play. To me it is pretty much camper and inventory management simulator 2020.

Reactions: Rensje

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I think all the above points are valid but what it comes down to is Tarkov gives you the rush of gambling. It’s a rollercoaster of the highest highs and the lowest lows. One night you’re hauling out boatloads of loot while another every PMC and Scav only needs one bullet to commandeer your gear. Going in to a raid with your fully geared PMC is like putting a stack of chips in, and getting out feels like hitting the jackpot. Hunt: Showdown is great, but with the RPG and loot systems Tarkov is the much more rewarding of the two when you’re doing well.

Reactions: Round and Liil
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
For now, unless they drop the insane pricing and just give everyone the same in-game 'rewards' (or lack thereof) regardless of which edition they buy, I think I'll stick with Hunt: Showdown. That's another PvPvE online shooter I really love, and although it looks very different it shares a lot of ideas and systems with Tarkov. I would argue though that in its current state it is a much better game, less impenetrable for newcomers, much more interesting visually and also vastly more interesting in terms of the game's setting and atmosphere.

I also own the Hunt: Showdown whereas I like the idea of the game, it is does share some similarities to EFT, it's not EFT. Yes you lose gear and your character after lvl 16, but you just roll another. It is no where near as indepth.
No game has ever had my heart pumping the way EFT has. Unfortunately as you don't own EFT, its difficult to argue that Hunt:Showdown is better when you haven't tried both.

No game has ever had my heart pumping the way EFT has. Unfortunately as you don't own EFT, its difficult to argue that Hunt: Showdown is better when you haven't tried both.
You are quite right, I'm not really allowed to have an opinion on the quality of one vs. the other when I haven't actually played both. I should amend my statement and say that I believe Hunt: Showdown and its developers have done a much better job of creating a good on-boarding process. In Hunt, new players don't get dropped in with the hardcore crowd right off the bat. From account levels 1-15 you're in the 'newbie' bracket, which gives you some time to learn the basics of the game and get a feel for the layout of the maps before the training wheels come off and it's every man for himself.

On top of that, they have a quick play mode now where you get dropped in with some random gear and don't really lose anything when you die, but you get to keep your hunter should you win. That's a bit less stressful for newcomers. EFT has a similar setup with Scav runs, of course, but you would still have to contend with the gaming gods regardless.

Also, EFT could do more to market itself to new players. Hunt is on Steam and has, through that platform, enjoyed a few free weekends which allowed people to actually try the game before buying. It's had some fairly deep discounts. The base price of the game is a bit easier to swallow, as well.

I don't see this happening, but launching into early access on Steam (or another platform) with a free weekend and a brief sale would more than likely get me to buy into EFT. I am absolutely interested in the game, but I don't necessarily agree with how they are handling their business model.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
One night you’re hauling out boatloads of loot while another every PMC and Scav only needs one bullet to commandeer your gear.

But this is not the case. Especially for medium or fully equipped players versus lower equipped players. You can take way more "damage" with your armor and helmet. Combine this with a passive and very defensive play-style and you get (in my opinion) a boring meta. The cherry on top is that the game also does not care about grouped up players. The map factory has a a limit for 7 players and the max group size is 4. So this map is often quite unplayable for solo players or duos. You have 4 people camping the map, farming Scavs and players until the time runs out. Even "if" you kill one, chances are high that a friend will retrieve his entire gear, or the most valuable things.

To me it is more interesting how effective "Twitch Marketing" is. Right now it is "the game of the moment" because they paid a couple of high profile streamers to play the game and say some nice things about it. Other streamers see that and also want in on the current attention and also start playing (while not being paid). Then "the press" is seeing that the game is trending and also join in.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
But this is not the case. Especially for medium or fully equipped players versus lower equipped players. You can take way more "damage" with your armor and helmet. Combine this with a passive and very defensive play-style and you get (in my opinion) a boring meta. The cherry on top is that the game also does not care about grouped up players. The map factory has a a limit for 7 players and the max group size is 4. So this map is often quite unplayable for solo players or duos. You have 4 people camping the map, farming Scavs and players until the time runs out. Even "if" you kill one, chances are high that a friend will retrieve his entire gear, or the most valuable things.

To me it is more interesting how effective "Twitch Marketing" is. Right now it is "the game of the moment" because they paid a couple of high profile streamers to play the game and say some nice things about it. Other streamers see that and also want in on the current attention and also start playing (while not being paid). Then "the press" is seeing that the game is trending and also join in.

The game certainly isn't for everyone. In the two years I've had it I have cycled through all the emotions; I played with squads only, I played solos only, I played Scav only, I played it every night, I stopped playing it all together, I unistalled it, etc. The meta changes frequently from game to game and although it's not guaranteed that you'll be up against 4 factory try-hards, geared to the teeth, there always is the chance that the matchmaking gives you that unlucky grouping. I have had successful factory runs as a solo, completing tasks and extracting with loot, but I certainly don't expect that to be a regular occurrence.

The Twitch phenomenon is the reason I reinstalled. I couldn't believe Dr. Disrespect was playing it, and watching him slog through a few matches gave me the itch again. To be honest I would have never bought this game in the first place, someone gifted me the Standard Edition a while back (which I never upgraded), but I do think it's a great game even in its Beta state.

Reactions: Round and Liil
Hey Dan,
If you are from the UK there is a facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/342525452872568/) who regularly try and help out people who are new. They have a discord so you can use voice chat and group up - loads of newer people joining at the moment also looking to group up and learn.

I'm not on Facebook, but I'll definiftely look at joining a Tarkov Discord. I'm sure playing with others will make the game much more fun.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I have to say, the game is SO much more playable now than it used to be about a year ago. The servers are much more stable now, the timed tasks are gone, and the flea market makes it much easier to progress and develop your gear and character. Plus the Reserve map is incredible. I haven't mustered up the sand to do a labs run but I've got keys sitting in my stash. I'll get there...

Reactions: Liil and Frindis
Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
It Sounds like you would enjoy it! Especially if you’ve watched streams etc, you know what you’re getting in to. People can have their opinions about the devs, but from what I have seen - they are amazing, extremely active and constantly interacting with the community.
The game itself is a unique experience, no other game can get your adrenaline going like this, the feeling when you take out a heavily geared pmc and extract with tons of loot is unmatched. The risks are high and so are the rewards.

MeFirst honestly doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The game isn’t for everyone, and he is obviously looking for something more like the division. You shouldn’t try to take on high level players when you first start, that’s endgame stuff, you should be learning the maps, ratting for loot etc until you have built up enough loot and confidence to do some serious pvp.

all In all, start with the cheapest version and get the hang of things, then decide if you want to upgrade. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise!

Reactions: Rensje and Liil
Alright, I owe a couple of people in this thread an apology for being ignorant, particularly @Liil. You were right and I was wrong. I have now tried both because I finally caved and bought Escape From Tarkov earlier this week and hot damn! This game is something else, isn't it?

I think I'm obsessed with it.

LsOgYzs.png

Staking out a fresh kill to see if any vultures are coming for a piece.

After picking up the cheap version of the game (I still think the price tiers are a little scummy) and getting to grips with it over the past week, I've come to the conclusion that this game is probably the best shooter I have ever played in my life. The guns feel and sound excellent, the customisation is beyond ridiculous and the sheer terror you feel when you hear a gun going off close to you is just tremendous. Tarkov really sells the idea that a gun isn't a toy to be used for fun, but that people die using these things. Also, the way people collapse in this game when you shoot them is just too real.

I have never fired a gun in real life, and after this I don't think I want to.

The roguelite RPG metagame surrounding the action is also a lot of fun; I've been grinding out a few quests while trying to make it out not only with my life but with enough building materials to slowly upgrade and improve my hideout. The adrenaline rush you get from gunning for the nearest extraction point with a camping bag full of valuables is crazy. At one point I got into a firefight with minutes to spare and I literally limped to the extraction with only a few seconds left on the clock. I needed a minute after that.

I also find that this game doesn't get me salty the way other hard games do. I mean, it sucks getting your PMC killed when you just decked him out minutes earlier, but the downtime between runs makes it so that I never get too worked up about anything. I've gotten into the habit of doing a low-stakes Scav run, collecting some stuff and actively seeking out combat to improve my skills, then doing a PMC run and taking things a bit more slowly. It's a flow that works real well for me.

If there's one thing that grinds my gears it's that you will never know who killed you and where you were shot from. I get that they don't show you, it's simply not for you to know, but it would be helpful and I could learn so much more if only they would tell me.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I am happy to admit that I was wrong about this game. Now if you will excuse me, I have some corrugated hoses to find!

TRENDING THREADS