Question Intel 1151 - Random crashes and motherboard replacement

Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, my PC randomly shuts down for no reason or I sometimes get BSOD just after the audio and picture hangs for about 2 seconds. I though the power supply had gone, so I went out and bought myself a new one. That didn't fix the problem so I suspect the motherboard is dead.

I own an i3-7100 which is 1151. From my understanding the latest 9th gen is 1151 as well. I was wondering if I could keep my CPU and install it into a H310, B365 or Z390 board. I currently own a H110 Gigabyte.

I do not plan to buy a new CPU just yet as money is tight

Thanks

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Too little information. This could be motherboard, CPU or RAM.

I would advice setting USB stick with some useful stuff like MEMTEST86 and run it at least for two full runs - or X amount of hours. If anything shows red, computer freezes or crashes, then it's 99% bad RAM. Resitting the memory can also help in some cases.

Feb 2, 2020
Visit site
Too little information. This could be motherboard, CPU or RAM.

I would advice setting USB stick with some useful stuff like MEMTEST86 and run it at least for two full runs - or X amount of hours. If anything shows red, computer freezes or crashes, then it's 99% bad RAM. Resitting the memory can also help in some cases.
Thank you for your reply, but if the RAM was bad, the computer won't even boot, same as the CPU. I've been in this situation before and I'm 100% confident the motherboard is dying.

I've never overclocked the CPU or RAM, always kept latencies and clocks speeds at stock levels.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
With bad RAM it's hard to tell - computer could boot but crashes would seem random. I worked as IT Technician for couple of years and I saw a lot of cases like this. Wouldn't be 100% sure what it is without more tests.

If you are confident it's the motherboard, then I would advice you to take your PC to some repair shop and let them switch the mobo temporary and test it. Would be cheaper that buying the part only to find out it wasn't the problem. And computer shop should have enough parts to check other cases as well.

TRENDING THREADS