Question How to configure old games to run on newer computers?

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
As my backlog of older games continues to grow as time continues on and I'm now on an AM5 build - is there a guide on how to configure Windows 11 so that it slows down enough to play these older games?

For example - just picked up Enclave on Steam - and I've tried all the recommended steps with RTSS, dgVoodoo, and mouse polling among others. The game just runs so fast that even a single keyboard click forward moves to the very end in less than a second and any in game cut scenes start and are done in less than a second.

The closest I got was forcing RTSS to 30 fps - but that was so janky - I just stepped back.

Ideally, if anyone has gotten this game to work on a recent build - please share. Otherwise, are there any other tips for older games in general? One of the most frustrating things is having to manually set the affinity to 1 CPU via task manager instead of getting a command line launch to work automatically.

Edit: Thanks for all the links to the older emulators - though I should have specified run older games on Steam.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its almost like you need an emulator to run them at a slower speed.

Its a long time since we had a turbo button to slow CPU down to run programs slow. Normally the problems with old games is getting them to run, not that they run too fast.

Virtual machines wouldn't help as from what I know, can't restrict processor speed, just what other parts they can use.

Haven't read these, so for what it's worth—Win10 techniques should work on Win11 too in general.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Haven't read these, so for what it's worth—Win10 techniques should work on Win11 too in general.
Thanks - but none of those apply to games that require the Steam launcher, for the GOG versions it would - since those usually require the DosBox emulator where you can slow it down a bit.

There might be a way with VirtualBox and only offering reduced CPU and RAM to the VM - but then i'd need space for a whole separate OS and Steam just to run the game that takes up less than 2.5GB alone. *sigh

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Well, I even tried the VirtualBox route with Win7 - and even then with only 1 CPU assigned - still the game moved like I was in the matrix, but the sound was even worse. Oh well. Unless someone has cracked the solution to this one, it will have to be one in the backlog that will never get played.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts