Question can you use virutalbox 7.0.1 without virtualization setup on your computer or how to use older versions of virtualbox that can run without virtualizat

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
Thats windows defender protections.

Had you put virtualbox on that pc before? or is that a newer version of installer?
Its possible they haven't signed the installer to work with 10, clicking unblock is the only way.

I meant the win 11 pc, since you said you could enable it on win 11 one.

If its working on 10, don't need to buy the dvd drive. :)
here is my system information

perhaps this can inform you why it seems virtualization enabled caused my pc to not run properly

View: https://imgur.com/a/Ee5k3iB

just means he can't give vm a lot of ram. Mine only gets 8gb, I assume his are about 4 or less. I doubt a game from 2006 needs much ram.

must be 3 sticks of ram since largest stick mb can accept is 4gb
page file size makes me wonder if it had 4 sticks at one stage?

Memory. Depending on what guest operating systems you want to run, you will need at least 512 MB of RAM (but probably more, and the more the better). Basically, you will need whatever your host operating system needs to run comfortably, plus the amount that the guest operating system needs. So, if you want to run Windows 8.1 on Windows 7, you probably won't enjoy the experience much with less than 2 GB of RAM.[

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Couple things to look at for the Win 10 PC:

1. Ensure the BIOS is the most up-to-date version available for the motherboard.

2. Seems that motherboard was likely configured with 3x4GB of memory to go along with the CPU's 3 cores. That was one of AMD's odder CPUs. Those were actually 4 core CPUs with one core disabled due to quality issues. It allowed the CPU to still be sold and was "one up" on the 2-core CPUs common then.

Even if you can get this system to run a VM, it is going to perform poorly on this low end system. If running natively, it would likely be okay.

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
Sep 26, 2024
Visit site

1. Ensure the BIOS is the most up-to-date version available for the motherboard.

2. Seems that motherboard was likely configured with 3x4GB of memory to go along with the CPU's 3 cores. That was one of AMD's odder CPUs. Those were actually 4 core CPUs with one core disabled due to quality issues. It allowed the CPU to still be sold and was "one up" on the 2-core CPUs common then.

Even if you can get this system to run a VM, it is going to perform poorly on this low end system. If running natively, it would likely be okay.
it begins installing windows xp on my windows 10 with virtualization enabled and then it abortes

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site

so i have to get a different cpu?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
so i have to get a different cpu?
I applaud your desire to sort through this issue.

The CPU, while it may support VMs, is not going to excel at it. Combined with only 12GB of memory, it is going to perform on the low end of the performance scale.

That "may" be fine for this old game you are trying to play.

Assuming you are successful in sorting through all of this mess, then I suggest tempering your expectations.

As you never answered my question on TH (duplicate of this thread there, by the way), did you ever resolve the product key/install media issue? If so, with what version of Windows. Also, assuming yes, why not install that OS altogether on this old PC and forget all the VM stuff?

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site

The CPU, while it may support VMs, is not going to excel at it. Combined with only 12GB of memory, it is going to perform on the low end of the performance scale.

Assuming you are successful in sorting through all of this mess, then I suggest tempering your expectations.

As you never answered my question on TH (duplicate of this thread there, by the way), did you ever resolve the product key/install media issue? If so, with what version of Windows. Also, assuming yes, why not install that OS altogether on this old PC and forget all the VM stuff?
well that is another option only problem is i would have to save everything off of here first

i dont suppose i could run windows xp and windows 10 on one pc so i dont have to get rid of my windows 10 thats currently on this pc?

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site

Windows XP but only on my windows 11 computer

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site

my usb is not showing up on ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility

my usb is not showing up on ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility
how big is the USB?
how was it formatted?
Try using another USB drive?

i dont suppose i could run windows xp and windows 10 on one pc so i dont have to get rid of my windows 10 thats currently on this pc?
not really.
I mean, you can dual boot but in that scenario you have to install XP first and then 10, as you can't do it in the opposite order (you can't put xp on after 10) as XP has no idea what Win 10 is and would remove its boot info.

Generally, for dual boot you put the oldest one on first and then install new one as well.

Also, much safer to do with two drives.

Really, I would use the win 11 PC with a dvd drive, and install 7 on it. Why are you using XP? Game should run on 7.

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
how big is the USB?
how was it formatted?

not really.
I mean, you can dual boot but in that scenario you have to install XP first and then 10, as you can't do it in the opposite order (you can't put xp on after 10) as XP has no idea what Win 10 is and would remove its boot info.

Generally, for dual boot you put the oldest one on first and then install new one as well.

Really, I would use the win 11 PC with a dvd drive, and install 7 on it. Why are you using XP? Game should run on 7.
i dont know how to update the thing you said that needs to be for windows 7 :(

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
how big is the USB?
how was it formatted?

not really.

the usb was 512 mb

fat32

i dont know how to update the thing you said that needs to be for windows 7 :(
remind me what I said? was it about using cd drive? I don't see anything else (it is 5.20am, I could be blind)

not sure why bios not seeing drive, maybe format drive and copy bios on again, and see if it helps at all.

what USB slots are you using? tried another one on back?

Last edited:
what error shows when you turn virtualisation on, on the win 10 PC?
Or at least, explain its behaviour if pc just doesn't load? You said it worked and then it didn't
We trying to help :)

Screenshots might help

thread is getting confusing.

notices your Toms threads seemed to stop.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
Im not actually sure if i did it correctly so i wanted to make sure by giving you all the step by step measures i implemented

I clicked on the link ColGeek provided https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/m4a785t-m/helpdesk_bios/?awc=31828_1728137598_3b8af960f5d3f7341a94179830e226f6&sn=1/

I then clicked the blue download for M4A785T-M 2302 BIOS

I inserted my usb drive which is 512 mb into the usb port of my pc tower

which opened up file explorer where i selected the usb drive letter (D:) i right clicked it and selected format

capacity was left at 480 mb for its the only option

file system was set as FAT32

allocation unit size was 4096 bytes

volume lable was named Latest Bios, so that i could easily spot it being different to other drives in the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility

quick format was checked off

then i selected start

the process of formating the usb drive commenced

the format was completed

i went into my downloads folder on file explorer where i had downloaded the latest bios update

i selected the zip compressed file contanting the bios update

i then extracted the contents insize the zip folder into the path directory of my usb drive (D:) volume lable Latest Bios

i restarted my computer and rapidly began pressing the command button for bios which for me is delete

i entered bios

selected tools

and selected ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility

but when entering the utitliy my usb drive was not shown on screen as one of the available drives

View: https://imgur.com/a/HvZi0B0

Last edited:
Instructions for updating BIOS say to put USB drive in before you start PC, when are you putting it in?

To update the BIOS using EZ Flash 2:
1. Insert the USB flash disk that contains the latest BIOS file to the USB port, then launch
EZ Flash 2 in either of these two ways:
• Press <Alt> + <F2> during POST.
• Enter the BIOS setup program. Go to the Tools menu to select EZ Flash 2 and
press <Enter> to enable it.
Press <Tab> to switch between drives until the correct BIOS file is found.
When the correct BIOS file is found, EZ Flash 2 performs the BIOS update process
and automatically reboots the system when done
ASUS M4A785T-M 2-3
• This function supports USB flash disks with FAT 32/16 format and single partition only.
• DO NOT shut down or reset the system while updating the BIOS to prevent system boot
failure!

from your manual.

which USB slots are you using?

You are on bios 2301
Current is 2302... and there isn't a 2301 listed on the board now... I think you on a beta version of the newest bios. 2301 might have become 2302.

evidence 2301 did exist at one point - link - it came on his board, so probably the release version since you never updated it before.

So just stop :)

Updating bios isn't the solution

Wish I could come help you but you probably don't live nearby (I am in Australia)

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
@Colif is likely correct regarding BIOS versions. I really did not look at the details of what you have.

The numbering does beg this question though. Is your Windows 10 PC a brand name system? Like HP, Acer, etc...

Just wondering more than anything else.

Sep 26, 2024
Visit site
@Colif is likely correct regarding BIOS versions. I really did not look at the details of what you have.

The numbering does beg this question though. Is your Windows 10 PC a brand name system? Like HP, Acer, etc...

Just wondering more than anything else.
no my ex boyfriend built it (just so it doesn't cause wonder or assumption) i am also a guy.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts