How many people still love the old games?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

IwantPeak

BANNED
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hey can anyone guesstimate on the following: if we take a modern price to performance mindful iGPU setup, what year of games can it run at 1080p (is the "p" correct in this context ?) and 60 frames at max settings ? Talking about the titles that in their year would've been taking advantage of the hardware of the time. Not like Crysis but y'know- the average fancy game at the time.
A modern price-to-performance iGPU can run games from around 2015 to 2017 at 1080p and 60 frames per second on max settings for average titles of that era.

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
I feel like nostalgia plays a big part in this, and I'm very outdated when it comes to modern games, but... In the previous game eras every game used to look and feel so different from each other, because of unique art styles, themes and concepts. And you'd see many companies making their own engines for different titles, so each game was unique. And everyone was coming up with new ideas and concepts so you had this great variety of genres and themes.

But nowadays most companies are following the trends, so you end up with many titles that end up looking and feeling the same, you don't see people going for a genre that hasn't been touched in a while, and once someone does and gets successful, you get bombarded with the same stuff again from everyone else trying to be "in".
The use of modern game engines really helps developers, and they are pretty flexible to how you can make your game look and feel, but most often you see the hyper realistic graphics and over the shoulder camera gameplay, or since Genshin came out you see open-world walk-around-collecting-and-killing-stuff with anime-esque graphics.

Anyways, this whole rant was to bring the point that in old days you felt like you had a great variety. Sure, during the SNES era for example, you had tons of JRPGS and platformers, but they all felt and looked so different from each other, it all felt new instead of feeling like just another copy of the most recent successful game. So I suppose that could be one of the reasons a lot of people still like old games, even with their limited technology and clunkiness.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Welcome to the forum :)

they all felt and looked so different from each other, it all felt new instead of feeling like just another copy of the most recent successful

That's a pattern with many industries during their early phase, while they're still figuring out what works and what's sustainable long-term. Eg 100 years ago there were ~200 car manufacturing companies, today there are hundreds of AI companies.

Of course you still have old car enthusiasts today, just lie old game lovers—and I expect in 100 years time they'll look back nostalgically but incredulously at the time when wet brains all going their own crazy way was how we did things. Borg ftw :D

May 26, 2023
Visit site
If there's a sim racing physics engine better than 'NASCAR2003', I haven't found it. I have a newer gaming rig that's pretty much going to waste. N'03 FPS is fairly good. :eek:

I really enjoyed 'Pole Position' at the arcade. (Forty years ago.) Mostly for the pure fun of using the many exploitable shortcomings--against unsuspecting, sore, losers. No desire to play it on the PC tho. The hustle was the draw.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't necessarily think old games are better, just different. I have plenty of fun playing newer titles. I think, and this has been touched on some, that the biggest problems with newer games is innovation and creativity. In the AAA market you get almost none of that. The EA and Activision machines churn games out on a yearly basis. In an environment like that, creativity is stifled.

However in the low to mid budget indie scene there are tons of great games. Ever played outer wilds? Doom eternal, though not an indie game, is probably the most fun I've had in a shooter. It's 3 years old but I think that still counts. Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion maiden, and Cultic are all examples of awesome new fps games. They take the best from the retro and new eras of gaming. If you like puzzle games, baba is you, the talos principle and the portal games are all fantastic.

I worked in a used video game shop for 8 years and had plenty of time to play older retro games (from the 80s and 90s on consoles) and let me tell you, there are plenty of stinkers. Some great classics and hidden gems too, but those I think are the exception.

I love classic games and always will but I try not to buy into the the thinking that everything used to be better.

TRENDING THREADS