have you got the not as good as syndrome

Have you ever found a really awesome game then tried to find something else as good as it , no matter how hard you look all you seem to do is say ..... its not as good as xyz.

The latest game that has made me keep saying this is satisfactory , i have run out of things to do on it so i have been looking at a lot of similar types of games , maybe they are good in their own right so why do i keep saying .... not as good as ( satisfactory )

Maybe its because the makers of the game set the bar really high

Reactions: BeardyHat
Royal Envoy

The Royal Envoy series of casual builder-puzzle games are a class apart for me. Unlike most other games in their niche, there's almost no 'path clearing' involved—I find path clearing games less interesting and more 'clicky' than builders. RE also has an indefinable charm to it, a definite smile-to-face game :)

I've replayed all 4 games annually up to last year, but from now on I'll probably only replay RE3 regularly.
RE1 hardest
RE2 easiest
RE3 tricky and interesting
RE4 easy [aka Campaign for the Crown]

Lemmings

The other which comes to mind is Lemmings—I must've played 5-6 of that series in the 90s. I tried Pingus a few years ago but it didn't stick with me, so there's never been a successor of similar calibre that I'm aware of.

Have you ever found a really awesome game then tried to find something else as good as it , no matter how hard you look all you seem to do is say ..... its not as good as xyz.
Diablo 2. It took me years to find anything as good as it after I stopped playing in 2003.
so much so, the same company can't recreate the magic.

I have a couple of games that are just too unique to even find another game to seriously compare them to. For example, Black & White and Spore. Both are very flawed games, but there isn't any other game that does it better because there isn't any other game that even tries.

Though for Spore there is a game called Elysian Eclipse being developed now that looks promising, but it's being developed by a small team that hasn't published anything else yet.

I had Black & White, I didn't get very far into it but I do remember it. Giant lion god? is that one of them? on islands.

Peter Molyneux game, continuation of his populous "series" ... no one done it since

he over promised on last creation

Journey is unique even though they made a sequel called Children of Sky, its not the same... it forces multiplayer whereas in other game it was a choice.

Reactions: Pifanjr

The latest game that has made me keep saying this is satisfactory , i have run out of things to do on it so i have been looking at a lot of similar types of games , maybe they are good in their own right so why do i keep saying .... not as good as ( satisfactory )

I'm the same way with Satisfactory. No other factory game comes close.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
I don't really get this syndrome, personally. Games seem too unique to me for that sort of thing. Sometimes it's difficult to compare even within the same series. Watch Dogs 1, 2, and 3 are similar, but they are not close enough that I would want to just flat-out say A is better than B. Never mind comparing a Watch Dogs game to a Saints Row or Grand Theft Auto.

That doesn't mean I don't personally like one thing more than another (3 is easily my favorite), but that's not at all the same as saying 3 is better than the rest.

TRENDING THREADS