games similar to frostpunk

I love Frostpunk as well, but I cant think of anything really similar. There's loads of city builders but nothing I can think of that has the survival aspects and story decisions that make it so interesting. Love to find something so I'll keep an eye here.

This War of Mine was also brilliant by the same developer, and has something similar about how it feels, even if its not a city builder.

Last edited:

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
I love Frostpunk as well, but I cant think of anything really similar. There's loads of city builders but nothing I can think of that has the survival aspects and story decisions that make it so interesting. Love to find something so I'll keep an eye here.

This War of Mine was also brilliant by the same developer, and has something similar about how it feels, even if its not a city builder.
oh yea that's true thanks for helping

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Well it's not out yet, but the obvious answer might be Frostpunk 2? But you're going to have to wait a while for that..

Otherwise it's hard because it feels like they occupy a niche of their own. For me what makes Frostpunk is firstly prioritising what to build/research etc. But secondly shuffling the workers between different buildings depending on what resource I need. And it's the 2nd point that I feel isn't really covered by many of the suggestions.

Some of them do actually do this, including Surving the Aftermath and Northgard mentioned above. Northgard in particular I enjoyed, which also has a winter mechanic for a similar "cold" feel. But more combat though and less story-driven.

Well it's not out yet, but the obvious answer might be Frostpunk 2? But you're going to have to wait a while for that..

Otherwise it's hard because it feels like they occupy a niche of their own. For me what makes Frostpunk is firstly prioritising what to build/research etc. But secondly shuffling the workers between different buildings depending on what resource I need. And it's the 2nd point that I feel isn't really covered by many of the suggestions.

Some of them do actually do this, including Surving the Aftermath and Northgard mentioned above. Northgard in particular I enjoyed, which also has a winter mechanic for a similar "cold" feel. But more combat though and less story-driven.

I love the way Frostpunk makes you weigh your decisions morally and not just statistically. Most games its a case of choose this path, with a flowery paragraph of writing and you get +5 build speed. Its all things like 'do you want to put sawdust in the bread dough to stretch it out, because otherwise not everyone will get to eat'? or 'should we enact child labour? Theres not enough workers to run the place if we dont'. And there are consequences to all of those things like higher chance of sickness and injury at work etc, which puts pressure on other places like your doctors. Nothing else I've seen does anything like it.

Northgard was pretty good too, but to me it felt more like Settlers 2 crossed with an RTS.

TRENDING THREADS