Freesync Question - S90D vs S95D QD-OLED for PC Gaming

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site
I am looking to transition from console to PC gaming and wanted to pair a PC (and my Xbox Series X) with a Samsung QD-OLED TV. I am considering the not yet released S95D or S90D. I've been doing a ton of research, but am confused on a few topics that I was hoping to get clarity on:
  1. Freesync Premium vs Premium Pro with HDMI 2.1: The S95D has Premium Pro, while the cheaper S90D has Premium. I understand that Premium Pro will allow you to enable VRR and HDR at the same time. But I've also read that due to the high transfer rates of HDMI 2.1, which both TVs have, you will be able to do VRR with HDR natively. Based on this, I am concluding that going with Premium Pro vs Premium will provide no real benefit. Does this sound correct?
  2. Freesync with Nvidia GPU: I was planning to go with an RTX 4090 GPU. Both TVs are noted as being G-Sync compatible (but not Nvidia certified). Does this mean that the Freesync software on the TV will not be used at all while running a RTX 4090, which would mean that the going with Premium Pro vs Premium would again provide no real benefit?
  3. I also read that having HDR enable with VRR is not as big of a deal on QD-OLEDs vs LCDs as the OLEDs already have an excellent color and contrast ratio. Does this sound correct?
  4. One other item to note, the "One Connect Box" on the S95D limits the HDMI 2.1 transfer rate to 40 GB/s, compared to the full rate of 48 GB/s on the S90D. I feel the higher transfer rate on the S90D would be more important than the Freesync Premium pro, but I'm not sure on this.
At the end of the day, I'm more focused on getting the best technical performing and future proof set-up possible between these 2 TVs. If I'm correct above and the Premium Pro really does nothing for me, I feel the S90D may actually be better overall for a lower price.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS