FPS—Far Cry 6 your playing experiences

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Epic Games has one of those sales which can include a 10 USD coupon
Those are great! First one, the XMas after Epic launched, I got a bunch of $60 games—AC Origins & Odyssey, 3 Tom Clancy's, 1-2 more—for $5 each, +$10… so say $40-45. The coupon was for any game $15 or more, and the games I got were all 75% off, iow $15!

like you were never there
Was this for all captures, or only some? I took 2 bases and 2 checkpoints in the starting island, with a lot of incoming harassment because I didn't zap the CO—others were fine tho.

You are really digging hard
Not at all, just playing ~12 hours, observing and reporting. I could be all wrong, remember "I'm still ignorant" :)

Brian's played 6 hours and hasn't left the starter island
Trial lasted longer than I expected, got ~12 hours in and some stuff on the main island.

I'm not the best person to discuss this
Agreed, a casual speed run would bore me to tears, and is the exact opposite of my leisurely rose-smelling stroll :)

the parkour gear set you get is pretty fun to use
Yeah, that was one of the play styles I was wondering about—probably not for me other than a try-out, since I prefer a slow approach.

Last edited:
@Brian Boru The base capturing on the starter island worked like a charm, but it seemed like the further we went out the more these bugs started to happen. In the end, we were at tier 7-8 zones (8 being where Castillo is hiding) and nothing really worked at all. Since it worked capturing bases at the start but not as we ventured further into the zones, my guess is that the game did not really register us the right way which would explain why all the enemies were of low level and why Castillo never was in the HQ. We just went too far and the game did not understand that at all.

Expansion coming

I see "new expansion, Lost Between Worlds (coming soon)"

Are 3 DLCs of any value?

Looking at the Gold Edition at that link, on sale for $35 is slightly tempting. What it has:
"Gold Edition includes the game and season pass (3 new DLCs)"
"play from the perspective of Vaas, Pagan Min, and Joseph Seed"
Also includes Blood Dragon.

1. What does "season pass" usually mean at Ubisoft? Would I lose the extras at the end of some season, or are they mine forever?

2a. I assume the 3 DLCs is the ability to play as the 3 characters mentioned—Vaas, Pagan, Joseph. Please confirm.

2b. If you've played the DLCs, do they add any value?

So I ran into this last night…
NOVxgXi.png

…and seemed to be trapped in it. It apparently is some sort of DLC I've never heard of, and once you start it, you can't leave it—can't 'Abandon mission' to get back to where you were, can't fast travel out of it… couldn't anyway, since your map is gone, along with weapons.

One big problem is that it's on the map as just another mission, a treasure hunt on the NW coast, south of the oil platform in the NW corner. It did say "You can't leave until you help Lady" to which I said 'OK', not suspecting anything.

The other big problem is it's survival horror. Yep, a SH dungeon crawler mission in the middle of an open world stealth shooter. I don't like a chess problem plonked in the middle of my checkers game, how about you guys?

You can get out of it

After I quit in disgust—no recent saves available, of course—I read up a little on it. People reported no way to leave the mission, the only way was to start a new game.

Well happy news. When I fired it up again no and clicked 'Continue Game', I spawned out in the real map, ie outside the dungeon, and can continue my game. I hope this is universal, from some recent update maybe.

Any more surprises like this?

I don't want to be looking over my shoulder during every mission, so does anyone know if there are any more seriously off-genre missions like this? I'm talking base game, I don't have the DLCs I knew about, ie Vaas, Pagan, Joseph.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Bumping this thread.

Far Cry 6 has been great so far and I’m about 20 hours in this play through. I keep going off exploring and doing my own thing, forgetting there is so much more to the game. I like the Bandito operations and upgrading the base but it’s very easy to forget about these things. I vaguely remember the Bandito operations from my last play through when the game first came out, but completely forgot it existed until I accidentally stumbled upon it about 15 hours into this current play through. I only had the first Bandito unlocked so I sent him out. It’s an easy and kinda fun little way to get some crafting materials but I have not had a problem finding enough while exploring so it’s a bit unnecessary right now.

The Stranger Things crossover mission is annoying. I didn’t even start it fully, but every now and then the mysterious voice Shest will start talking to me again. Maybe it’s whenever I pass close by the location of the bunker but it is becoming so annoying I might just end up doing it. However as @Brian Boru pointed out in a different thread, you can’t leave until you finish it or reload an old save. Might be kinda fun, I’m not a major Stranger Things fan but I’ve seen the first two seasons and enjoyed it.

What I really want to do now is find Danny Trejo and make tacos… that was a fun little side mission last time I did it.

Gun customization in this FC is the best it’s been in the whole series. So many options, and with loadout slots, you can make tons of different combos for different play styles. I have a stealth loadout and a guns blazing loadout, basically my only two play styles lol.

Far Cry 6 is like very other Ubi game, great for 20 hrs, then another 30-40 hrs of doing the exact same thing all over.
That’s definitely true but if you’re a Far Cry fan like me you can get a lot more than that if you wanted to. I’ve enjoyed every Far Cry game but my most time spent with one is only about 70 hours in FC4. FC5 I have about 50 hours. FC6 definitely has a lot more stuff to do but at the end of the day it really is typical Ubisoft “check this icon off your map” type of side quests. I’m not bored of it yet, and I’m still super early on in the main story despite being level 8 already.

Reactions: Brian Boru and D10S
Far Cry 6 is like very other Ubi game, great for 20 hrs, then another 30-40 hrs of doing the exact same thing all over.
Have you ever played chess? Poker? Darts? Go? Bridge? Pool?

I have, and many more. It's a shame if you can't get enjoyment from the gameplay, because when you can, there are thousands of hours of pleasure to be had in FC—just like in all the classic games which have enthralled the world for decades and centuries.

I already know what my objectives will be in my 4th FC6 playthru.

Reactions: neogunhero
Have you ever played chess? Poker? Darts? Go? Bridge? Pool?

I have, and many more. It's a shame if you can't get enjoyment from the gameplay, because when you can, there are thousands of hours of pleasure to be had in FC—just like in all the classic games which have enthralled the world for decades and centuries.

I already know what my objectives will be in my 4th FC6 playthru.
I didn't even finish fc4 story it was so boring after playing 3.
to me a game has to have good writing, dialogues and characters. fc lacks in that.
heard fc5 might be better in that regard, but still haven't tried. fc6's story seems too generic as well.

a game has to have good writing, dialogues and characters
Ah ok, that's different—your original comment read as universally applicable rather than personal preference. I rely on books and movies and TV for those attributes, since they are far more suited to providing them.

So no, a game does not 'have to' have those, and is often much better off without them—nothing worse than dialogue starting up just as you're throwing your dart or pushing your pool cue forward.

For me, games are about gameplay. If there's other good stuff tagged on, great, but those are all add-ons, not what the medium is designed for. In any decent open game, you create your own story, not consume spoon feeding from some writer's attempt to shoehorn hir content into an unsuitable medium.

Clearest examples are puzzles, racing, fighting and similar—all genres without the hint of any meaningful story, being very successful doing what the medium is best at.

Excluding visual novels, and to an extent some adventure games, which are closer of the print worlds of comic books and visual novels. If you remove player agency, then you can tell a coherent story.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, having consumed books for decades before video games existed, I have watched game devs fall prey to external expectations when video games were looked down on. Many have tried to be art or have a story or whatever other unrealistic expectation they took on board from early detractors.

Why not both story and gameplay ?
Because…
If you remove player agency, then you can tell a coherent story
You have to limit agency—player choices, player actions, player interaction—to tell a good story. 'Good' meaning one comparable with the mediums designed for storytelling.

If I'm free to kill Adam, or not visit Eve, there go your storytelling options. You have to put the player in a straitjacket to weave a coherent tale.

For me, games are about gameplay. If there's other good stuff tagged on, great, but those are all add-ons, not what the medium is designed for. In any decent open game, you create your own story, not consume spoon feeding from some writer's attempt to shoehorn hir content into an unsuitable medium.
I agree with this. While I love a great story in a video game, the gameplay is most important to me above all else. I can easily look over bad story if the gameplay is fun, and honestly most Ubi games are that way for me. I don’t think their stories are horrible but they are not Red Dead 2 or The Last of Us levels of great of course.

Speaking of those games, there really isn’t a lot of player agency when it comes to the story in those games. They have some of the greatest video game stories but you rarely ever influence the direction of the story much at all.

Some of my favorite games are mainly because of the gameplay. I talk about Vampire Survivors a lot here but that is such a clear example of gameplay above all else. There is no story, the devs are just now starting to make some lore up almost a year after release. On the opposite side, I think the story and dialogue of Watch Dogs 2 is incredibly cringey at times, generally bland for the most of it. That didn’t stop me putting 100+ hours on a single play through of that game though.

So to me, Far Cry 6 is quite amazing because it is a ton of fun to play. There is so much for me to do within it and it will take me a while to truly get bored. I do think the story is decent and I enjoy Dani as a main character. I do wish Giancarlo Esposito would have more screen time though.

Different strokes for different folks, and if you enjoy gameplay above story and dialogue, then Ubisoft games fit that perfectly.

FC formula just doesnt excite me any more. Liberate new outposts, take over regions, confront antagonist
Oh I agree, playing like that wouldn't excite me either :)

For me it's mainly a sandbox where I can focus on the gameplay I want for a particular session. Just for fun, the FCs I finished and those I didn't:

Finished Story
1 [Crytek's game]

Did not finish
4 Primal
5 New Dawn

Did not finish
4 Primal
5 New Dawn
In terms of story I feel like Primal and FC5 had some of the best. I just really hate how the pacing on FC5 is… fill up your progress meter too much and boom you’re kidnapped and forced to do a mission. I think you (someone did I forget who) told me the FC5 Resistance mod removes that. I haven’t yet tried it as I’m still working though 6.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Prefer a linear, 20hr fps with good writing than open world 160hrs with a hundred of the same repetitive tasks. It only works first time round, and frankly part of the reason for me to enjoy taking outposts in fc3 so much was listening in on pirate banter, hilarious !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTtGmmPrnw
They still do that in the newer games and it’s great. One tiny touch in FC6 that always makes me laugh is when you go to a main quest giver, it brings up a different screen to accept or deny the quest. If you deny it while they are talking they will get pissed at you and I’ve been doing it on purpose to hear them get mad haha.

All I hear is “What the f*** Dani? You’re just gonna leave me here alone??” as I get into my buzzer copter and fly away :ROFLMAO:

They still do that in the newer games and it’s great. One tiny touch in FC6 that always makes me laugh is when you go to a main quest giver, it brings up a different screen to accept or deny the quest. If you deny it while they are talking they will get pissed at you and I’ve been doing it on purpose to hear them get mad haha.

All I hear is “What the f*** Dani? You’re just gonna leave me here alone??” as I get into my buzzer copter and fly away :ROFLMAO:
pirate accent alone sounded hilarious, and so were the lines they said to each other.

In terms of story I feel like Primal and FC5 had some of the best
I didn't see much story in either of those, just the usual great Ubi world building. Fabulous maps filled with loads of different NPCs, some great buddies in 5, and the other Ubi crown jewel, the wildlife.

Story in Primal is simply "Our tribe is scattered and in danger of being wiped out, help us defeat these 2 other hostile tribes and rejuvenate."
5's story is "We're cut off, bad cult taking over, help us."

The games then drop you into the setup and you make your own story from there on.

I just really hate how the pacing on FC5 is… fill up your progress meter too much and boom you’re kidnapped and forced to do a mission. I think you (someone did I forget who) told me the FC5 Resistance mod removes that
Yep, that sucked, made me drop 5 in disgust until the Resistance mod fixed it and lots of other stuff. They have an equally impressive Libertad mod for 6 at Far Cry Modding.
NB don't activate Resistance Mod changes to the Resistance Meter until you clear Dutch's island, else you'll never get off his island!

Prefer … 20hr fps
Fyi:
Far CryHours to beat
315½
3 Blood Dragon
417½
4 Primal14½
5 New Dawn11

So you're all set for linear consumption—but story is even worse than the gameplay in Pride & Prejudice ;)

It only works first time round
For you. For those who take advantage of what the games provide, they work many times around, each time for way longer than those linear consumption figures above.

listening in on pirate banter, hilarious
If you liked that, you must play 5—it's banter is streets ahead of 3's when you combine certain buddies :D

Reactions: neogunhero and D10S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts