FPS—Far Cry 6 your playing experiences

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
if you holster your weapon and remain calm that the enemy NPC's don't shoot
I'm 99% that's new, I remember one of the (p)review videos remarked on it.

I have moved this up to the top of my ranking of mainline FC games
Nice! Beware tho you may change your mind when son isn't around, so there's more to do than swan in to refill ammo 5 minutes after everything's cleared.

torn between 4 and 5
My ranking is same as yours, 4, 5, 3, 1, —, 2.
I just 'finished' 5, and it would've been #1 if it wasn't for the boss confrontations, especially the ending ones. After dying at first try in Faith's final boss fight, I got a bad feeling and watched all 4 final boss fights on YT. I may comment in the Boss Fights thread…

The 90% bulk of the game is better than 4—but needing a mod for that, plus all the boss encounters being a different sub-genre of shooter, drops it down. For someone who enjoys the closed melee sub-genre as well, I bet they'll have 5 on top. For me, it's a toss up with Primal for 2nd spot.

Nice! Beware tho you may change your mind when son isn't around, so there's more to do than swan in to refill ammo 5 minutes after everything's cleared.

lol He loves these comments of yours. He's been reading the board and giving me heck about it. He's made a couple of comments on here, but I told him to stop because Colif said you had to be 18 to post.

I've been playing some by myself, though, while he's been playing Rust a bit. There are these endless missions you can get by visiting the small hideouts. At least, I think they are endless. Every time I go to one, there's someone there with a mission. Anyway, I figured he wasn't missing anything by not doing those, so I've been having fun with that. And of course there's hunting and fishing, but I'm terrible at the fishing. Think I need to look up a video on it or something. It's basically the same as 5, but for some reason I was better at it on 5 than I am on 6. And I've been doing just a bunch of wandering around to find people to rescue because that's how you get bandidos. You do those bandido missions and you pick what you think will be perfectly safe, and then you get a message that says something like, "Three bandidos were embarrassed by the attempt to hack the server and left."

Reactions: Pifanjr
He's made a couple of comments on here
Searches for KidClampet… nope :unsure:

"Three bandidos were embarrassed by the attempt to hack the server and left."
Probably because KidClampet was already in hacking the RNG, and locked 'em out.

I'm terrible at the fishing
Same here, plus I dislike it too, same as offline. My FC5 stats say I caught 28 fish, guess I was on the Bliss at the time and chasing perks—not one this playthru.

find people to rescue because that's how you get bandidos
It's nice to see they're still developing the NPCs role, and encouraging more exploration. I liked that in 5, that random people out in the wilds would tip you off about a mission or prepper stash or outpost.

Are the bandito missions exclusive to them, or could you do 'em yourself if you preferred?

How useful are the companions? It was great in 5 that you could climb into the passenger seat and your pal would drive or fly for you. If you want slaughter, climb into the gun seat of one of the bad guys' armored trucks and set a waypoint across the map :D

Searches for KidClampet… nope :unsure:

He posts under Guido something-or-other.

In other news, NO SPOILERS, but there is a quest giver I really wanted to murder halfway through the quest, but @GuidoTheGamer wouldn't let me, and now I'm locked into doing a second playthrough so I can kill this dude. He's obviously a very bad person, which is revealed even more when you finish the quest. You talk to him three times. The first and last times you don't have control over your character, but the 2nd time I could have filled his head with bullets. I'm almost positive Ubisoft was anticipating that possibility, and that this would have positively ended the mission. It's going to drive me crazy until I get to try it.

It's nice to see they're still developing the NPCs role, and encouraging more exploration. I liked that in 5, that random people out in the wilds would tip you off about a mission or prepper stash or outpost.

There are a few random people out in the wild who will do this in 6, but every time you go to any of your many bases someone is there to tip you off to an activity.

Are the bandito missions exclusive to them, or could you do 'em yourself if you preferred?

No, they are just done by the bandidos. Did you ever play Black Flag? It reminds me of how you could go down into your ship and send your fleet on missions and later you would get a result back. Except in this case you have more control over what they do during different portions of the missions.

How useful are the companions? It was great in 5 that you could climb into the passenger seat and your pal would drive or fly for you. If you want slaughter, climb into the gun seat of one of the bad guys' armored trucks and set a waypoint across the map :D

There are only animal companions in 6, so they don't drive for you, but some will hop up into the passenger's seat to keep you company. As for how useful they are, I suspect they are pretty good, but haven't used them much since I'm in co-op. Each animal is good at something different. Here's an article on it:

I think more of the vehicles have weapons that the driver can shoot. The tanks are amazing.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
He posts under Guido something-or-other.

In other news, NO SPOILERS, but there is a quest giver I really wanted to murder halfway through the quest, but @GuidoTheGamer wouldn't let me

Wouldn't let you? What are saves/checkpoints for if not to shoot whoever you please whenever you please without consequence?

I've played co-op games where we shot an essential NPC two dozen times in a row just for the hell of it, getting send back to the previous checkpoint every time we did.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Wouldn't let you? What are saves/checkpoints for if not to shoot whoever you please whenever you please without consequence?

I've played co-op games where we shot an essential NPC two dozen times in a row just for the hell of it, getting send back to the previous checkpoint every time we did.

He wasn't afraid it would mess up anything immediate. He was afraid it would mess with the ending somehow. Ubisoft likes to moralize about the things you did wrong sometimes.

Here's an article on it
Oh, I didn't know about the last 3. Boomer is back literally—woof!—and Peaches in all but name. And I can definitely see myself sending K-9000 into packs of enemies once it's unlocked Termination Protocol moo-ha-ha :devilish: I wonder does it growl or whirr?

Did you ever play Black Flag?
Nope, I think it's in my TBP pile.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Nov 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi there I'm a new member here I play far cry 6 and I'm having trouble with. Everytime i go on to play it. It alway's crash's on me. Is anyone else getting that are is it just me. Thank you.

I see the first DLC is out—anyone playing it?

Far Cry® 6 DLC 3 Joseph: Collapse

"die-and-retry gameplay experience"—what's that mean, has Far Cry gone rogue? :eek:

That doesn't really sound like something I'd enjoy. First of all, it sounds like the setting is a drug-fueled dream, which probably means they mess with your camera/screen a lot, which I can do without, and then, as you say, it sounds rogue-like, which is especially not my thing.

At this point, I'm guessing it's going to be summer before I finish the FC6 campaign. Might look at the DLC more carefully then.

Reactions: Brian Boru
1st day of experience with the Far Cry 6 free trial in Co-Op Mode :

1. The world looks beautiful, though I'm not sure I like how the morning hue looks in HDR. Need to fine-tune the HDR settings more.
2. The weapons so far have been ok to use with good sound and ok control. The crafting system is pretty intuitive and I like that you can change skins and attachments fast.
3. The story I'm mostly skipping as I want to explore the world rather than listening to long dialogue sequences together with my nephew.
4. The parachute is utter garbage to use, same with driving. Try driving a tank and you'll quickly see just how bad.
5. Movement on foot is very nice, especially with the movement gear set. Fast crouching is a nice touch.
6. Fishing is a nice touch and pretty relaxing to do.
7. Combat AI is garbage on the hardest difficulty, but should not really be any shocker.
8. You can have pets and even pet them, love it! Met a tiny squirrel that I could feed, that was a cute touch.
9. Rushing chests and killing each other is fun.

Last edited:
Far Cry 6 free trial in Single Player Mode

Got about 6 hours in on this. I've detailed a bunch of keyboard problems I met in the thread linked above, so enough about that. I'm still on the opening island, with apparently one mission left, to KO the anti-aircraft gun.

The World
Appearance Beautiful, totally up to usual Far Cry standard.
Traversal Easy, no impassable cliffs, and with Fast Travel points, no need to avoid staying on foot. Grappling hook fine as always, and I tried riding a horse for about a minute—did not like it at all, felt much worse than say riding the sabretooth in Primal.
Populated Plenty of civilians wandering the roads and trails, but very little wildlife—I got attacked only once, very early on by a boar, and met/shot a mongoose once. A few dogs, some enemy ones.
Size Very big, I've only been on a small island off the coast, and I estimate that as similar size to New Dawn minus the north where the dumb Joseph mission was.

Good Guys
Me I like that my character Dani is quite talkative, and while the action is all FPP, the cut scenes are TPP so I get to see her. No surprise that I'm quite pretty, y'all would've guessed that already.
My Faction All are fine, well done models and loads of them individually voiced—there are well over 100 listed in the cast. One of 'em gives me a call regularly when I'm out toodling around. Let me introduce you to one:
Guapo says 'Ahhh, fix my green tooth'
rUKD5WI.png

Bad Guys
Plenty of 'em around, you're always likely to run into 'em on the roads or trails. Seem to do very little damage on easy difficulty, they never killed me—but I did have to run a few times when a bunch of 'em came from different directions. Usual fare.

Weapons
Rifles Easy to use, getting plenty of headshots without any optics—just as well as seemed to take a load of body shots to drop the baddies.
Sniper Dunno what's up with this, barely better than a rifle—popping at anyone over 100m a waste of time. Maybe improves later via upgrades or better model…
Ammo Annoyed with this, but maybe I didn't understand something. There's now soft-target and hard-target rounds, for which you need to carry 2 rifles—but I hope I missed something.

Upgrading
Skills Instead of the old skill tree, it looks like you upgrade your clothes—eg fire-proof gloves, faster shoes, bracelet to do something else.
Home Base I've seen stuff I collected designated for upgrading camp, but I didn't get to see/do that.

Gotta go—I'll finish this off tomorrow :)

Nice early game summary
The World
Appearance Beautiful, totally up to usual Far Cry standard.
Traversal Easy, no impassable cliffs, and with Fast Travel points, no need to avoid staying on foot. Grappling hook fine as always, and I tried riding a horse for about a minute—did not like it at all, felt much worse than say riding the sabretooth in Primal.
Populated Plenty of civilians wandering the roads and trails, but very little wildlife—I got attacked only once, very early on by a boar, and met/shot a mongoose once. A few dogs, some enemy ones.
Size Very big, I've only been on a small island off the coast, and I estimate that as similar size to New Dawn minus the north where the dumb Joseph mission was.
It's a nice map. There is a pretty large city in the northeast corner. You can walk around a lot of it with your gun holstered, and they will leave you alone, but there are also restricted areas where you will get attacked and areas that are blocked off until late game.

Traversal: Like all recent FC games, you can set a waypoint and your car will drive there automatically leaving you free to shoot out your windows whenever you want to.

You'll have different kinds of bases, and I can't remember the differences or what they were called but at some bases where the rebels already had people, there will be a vehicle waiting for you. Most are unique to that particular base. Some are ultralights and mini-helicopters which are pretty fun to use, but you have to get rid of the air defenses to get certain places.

One thing that is new is that if you find a vehicle that you like, you can take it to another kind of base and park it in a particular spot to basically add it to your inventory of vehicles. You can also call for a vehicle to be delivered when you are out and about.

Weapons
Rifles Easy to use, getting plenty of headshots without any optics—just as well as seemed to take a load of body shots to drop the baddies.
Sniper Dunno what's up with this, barely better than a rifle—popping at anyone over 100m a waste of time. Maybe improves later via upgrades or better model…
Ammo Annoyed with this, but maybe I didn't understand something. There's now soft-target and hard-target rounds, for which you need to carry 2 rifles—but I hope I missed something.

Upgrading
Skills Instead of the old skill tree, it looks like you upgrade your clothes—eg fire-proof gloves, faster shoes, bracelet to do something else.
Home Base I've seen stuff I collected designated for upgrading camp, but I didn't get to see/do that.

Gotta go—I'll finish this off tomorrow :)
You sort of upgrade your clothes, but really you just get sets of clothes that provide buffs for certain things.

This is the thing I didn't like the most. There really is no upgrade system for anything other than the bases. You have all the different sets of clothes and all the weapons (there aren't as many as usual, and they aren't as good) unlocked in the first 20 percent of the game, and then I had nothing else to look forward to after that. No anticipating a certain skill. No anticipation for an OP weapon. There was no carrot to keep me moving forward since the story is very bland.

if you find a vehicle that you like, you can take it to another kind of base and park it in a particular spot to basically add it to your inventory
For civilian vehicles, and horses, you can just scan them in situ with your camera and they'll be added to inventory—but they must be unoccupied to scan. Military vehicles are as you say.

different kinds of bases
Yeah, as I've been able to play some more—now doing 2nd mission on main island—I've seen that alluded to. Hunting Lodge, Bandidos Barracks, and apparently a few more.

I'm still ignorant of the systems and synergies, but I'm getting the impression that FC6 is aiming towards getting you to select various play styles. Supremo packs, clothes skills, weapon mods, amigo choice, etc—there seems like there may be much more customizability in 6 than previously.

The whole UI is pretty bad from an info POV compared to recent FCs. I'm finding it much harder to figure out what's what this time around. If I get to keep playing, I think I'll go back to the starting island once I've established a fast travel point on the main island. There are loads of places I didn't explore for material & perks, and I seem to be way underpowered at the moment.

For example, I just had my first encounter with an attack helicopter. No problem, just snipe the pilot. 10 sniper shots later… ok let's spray him with my armor piercing AR rounds. 2 clips of AR ammo later… run! At least that worked—but my efforts only knocked about 1/4 off the chopper's health. No, I don't have access to any launcher yet—heck, I don't even have a shotgun yet!

There's now soft-target and hard-target rounds, for which you need to carry 2 rifles
Dunno if I'm right, but I've concluded that once I get another useful weapon to occupy a slot, I'll ditch the soft-target rifle. The AP rifle takes down soft targets just fine with a headshot, so I don't see a downside.

I'm still ignorant of the systems and synergies, but I'm getting the impression that FC6 is aiming towards getting you to select various play styles. Supremo packs, clothes skills, weapon mods, amigo choice, etc—there seems like there may be much more customizability in 6 than previously.
That's the complete opposite of my opinion. Most of the clothes are very specific to tasks, like fishing clothes, hunting clothes, etc. I don't know what clothes you have, but I suspect you already have the clothes that you'll wear 99 percent of the time.

And Guido and I both picked one supremo and played with it the whole time. I picked one that took down helicopters since you can't snipe the pilot anymore, and Guido picked one that set me on fire every few minutes.

For example, I just had my first encounter with an attack helicopter. No problem, just snipe the pilot.
I don't think this is possible, but if you find a gun/ammo combination that will do it, please let me know.

2nd and last day of experience with the Far Cry 6 trial in Co-Op Mode :

Still had fun with my nephew playing in Co-Op Mode, but we both feel the game has a lot to go on, and perhaps when it gets on 75%+ discount/free on Epic Games, it might be a buy, IF they fix this major issue:

1. The game opens up for you to explore the world, but at the same time, you are punished with some of the d.u.m.b.e.s.t mechanics I have EVER seen in a game. Basically, you cant do shait if you venture too far and you don't get any mentioning of it, you just get endless spawn bugs at bases, enemies with the same difficulty level, bases and quests and puzzles that you CAN'T do but there is an option for you to do them. You even get a message saying: "Mission Completed", but the quests are still there and this happens even if you take over bases. Even the annoying borders in Assassin's Creed Odyssey had more sense than this whatever it is supposed to be.

Lost Ark has some smart mechanics for people who venture far from the main quest: You get the option to follow the main quest chain at the place you travel to, though obviously, it will be harder since you are not really supposed to be there as a low level. Something like that could have been a possibility here and even if that would be too hard to implement, at least do something smarter than you have in Far Cry 6 for the love of God!

This major blunder made it impossible to get the feel of the difficulty, how the weapons would work against very hard mobs (though some of the weapons were insanely overpowered, like the first unique pistol we got that basically two shots Castillos own security force) and just how much we had left of overall items to get.

To sum it up: I don't know if this was intended by Ubisoft or just a major game-breaking bug in this full version of Far Cry 6, but it definitely was pretty bad, even if we did have a lot of fun messing around with the bugs. Since we actually got to Antón Castillo HQ and even went inside looking for the poor sod, we feel we already beat the game.

Last edited:
supremo … that took down helicopters
Well strafe me—I completely forgot about the supremo on my back when fighting the chopper!!! Did I mention…
I'm still ignorant
…oh I did, good save :D

I suspect you already have the clothes that you'll wear 99 percent of the time
I doubt that. I saw some 'hmm' options just doing cursory mouseovers of locked ones, so I suspect it'll be interesting to experiment. There are some items which seem geared to stealth for example, which when teamed up with the stealth supremo, the knife throw lock-on perk, the bow, the suppressed shotgun and rifles… that all looks like a super-stealth setup.

Then there are damage limitation clothes, like the fire retardant gloves I mentioned, which are obviously designed to support a melee style of play.

[choppers] gun/ammo combination that will do it, please let me know
I didn't get a chance to do it, but when checking out the future bow I never got before the trial expired, I noticed both explosive and EMP arrows. I used to take out choppers with explosive arrows in Far Cry New Dawn, so I'll be surprised if both of those don't work. There's also blast ammo I didn't get, which sounds promising, and I assume the grenade launcher with EMP grenades should work.

endless spawn bugs at bases
As in enemies who keep showing up after you've cleared the place? To stop that, you have to as usual kill all the alarms AND kill the CO before se calls for reinforcements. Clara or Juan mention this at some stage.

I didn't get this far, but I suspect the #1 thing to do in each region is to get the local rebels onside—Clara makes a big deal about that in one of her pep talks. Idea being that then the locals will move into bases & checkpoints you capture, and make them yours.

game-breaking bug
You probably saw my keyboard problems in the other thread, so I gotta hope the free trial version was messed up—otherwise the gamer world would've been ablaze about it. I don't see a normal way to uninstall the thing either :(

Summary

I saw enough to make this a definite buy, whenever they finish the DLC trickle.

when it gets on 75%+ discount/free on Epic Games, it might be a buy
Is there some other way to acquire? Y'all keepin' secrets from me, hmm, hmm…?

As in enemies who keep showing up after you've cleared the place? To stop that, you have to as usual kill all the alarms AND kill the CO before se calls for reinforcements. Clara or Juan mention this at some stage.

I didn't get this far, but I suspect the #1 thing to do in each region is to get the local rebels onside—Clara makes a big deal about that in one of her pep talks. Idea being that then the locals will move into bases & checkpoints you capture, and make them yours.
Done both the stealthy and not-so-stealthy clearing approach and it does not really matter at all. You'll get a "captured based" prompt, but the base is still not captured and nobody can move in. It is like you were never there.

You probably saw my keyboard problems in the other thread, so I gotta hope the free trial version was messed up—otherwise the gamer world would've been ablaze about it. I don't see a normal way to uninstall the thing either :(
That is definitely a possibility and the main reason I would not mind trying out the game at a later date when it is heavily discounted and most annoying bugs have been ironed out.

Is there some other way to acquire? Y'all keepin' secrets from me, hmm, hmm…?
At times Epic Games has one of those sales which can include a 10 USD coupon and most likely whenever that happens next time (probably the autumn sale), you'll be able to buy FC6 close to the 75% mark depending on what they are discounting it retail wise before you use the coupon. This is how I got the Horizon Zero Dawn™ Complete Edition for around just under 10USD on Epic Games last January.

Last edited:
I doubt that. I saw some 'hmm' options just doing cursory mouseovers of locked ones, so I suspect it'll be interesting to experiment. There are some items which seem geared to stealth for example, which when teamed up with the stealth supremo, the knife throw lock-on perk, the bow, the suppressed shotgun and rifles… that all looks like a super-stealth setup.
You are really digging hard to give them credit they don't deserve. I didn't say there weren't stealth builds, My complaint is that there isn't enough progression, not nearly enough player choices. So you found a stealth hat. Whoopie! Now if there were five stealth hats instead of one, that would interest me.

But I'm going to bow out because you played for6 hours and obviously know more about the game than I do. I just don't care that much about Far Cry to pay that much attention to it. If it weren't co-op, I wouldn't even consider buying it. The other main things I liked about it, the large number of weapons and the skills, they got rid of, and putting a stealth perk on a hat just doesn't replace that for me. The fact that there is a stealth build in a game where stealth is the primary method of dealing with situations doesn't impress me even a little.

I'd just like to chime in that the parkour gear set you get is pretty fun to use. You'll be able to run faster than a horse and probably some of the vehicles also, at least if you are going off-road. A fun way to zoom past enemies and shoot them in the face before they can say: "Ala..r..."
It sounds fun, but that's an example of why I'm not the best person to discuss this and why Brian and I are having different experiences. I didn't see any use for the parkour gear, so I never did anything with it, and Brian's played 6 hours and hasn't left the starter island. I was halfway through upgrading bases at 6 hours, but when I finished upgrading them, I never used any of the stuff from the upgrades. I would have used the meals, but it was bugged at launch. Anyway when Guido is your co-op partner, you are basically doing a casual speedrun.

Our basic session goes like this:

Guido flies us to a location on the map. Guido jumps out of helicopter, runs into the facility and shoots everyone in the head with his starter pistol before the detection meters can run out. We get credit for the stealth. I may have managed to kill one or two people.

We sprint back to the helicopter and Guido picks a point on the map and flies us there. Repeat what happened at the last facility. Etc.

If I want to look at something or read something carefully, I have to log back in later by myself, which I did to upgrade the bases, etc.

TRENDING THREADS