Far Cry 6 random notes

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
What's the highest Level?

I believe it's 20, but not sure—there's conflicting info around, with some claiming to have gotten over 30. I'm at 15 now, Commandante 1, and I don't recall hitting 20 on a previous playthru. Still got loads to do, especially story missions, so I should find out this time.

Leveling up slows down a lot the higher you get—obviously more XP required. I finished the game and am still only Level 18 despite zapping guys and vehicles on the way to missions.

Story Finished

The last 2 missions were a lot less painful than I expected—no stupid stuff like drugged or fantasy sequences. Final boss fight was urban with plenty of melee and corridor-style layout—but there were still options re how you went about it. Best ending since FC4.

skB6yD9.png

New Game+ & Insurgency

My main objective for this playthru was to avoid having to restart the game from scratch every time I want to visit Yara. Mission accomplished—I now have 2 choices.

NG+

KhbTzlc.png

I selected NG+ and game started over—including the mostly unskippable tedious intro—but it didn't take long before I had all my weapons with upgrades and gear/perks that I finished the story with. I also had a nice store of starting materials in inventory, except for the 3 you need to build the camps in the regions HQs—Metal, Medicine, Gasoline—so I had to make sure to loot those. Pesos were also missing.

Build Hideout Network asap

You only really need to loot enough to build the Hideout Network and upgrade it fully, ie 180 Metal and 180 Gas. Then buy the 12 location maps from the HN gaffer—cost ~2,000 pesos total—and do a quick spin around 'em all via Fast Travel. Each had a cache where you grab 20 of each resource. You can repeat this trick 24 hours later—that's IRL time—if you need to, but one spin was enough for me.

Building HN also gives you the Wingsuit and enables Airdrop, 2 other major aids for getting around. So if you're building some other camp before HN, you're doing it wrong! :)
Here's Dani on approach to Fort Santa Maria, after airdropping from a friendly location across the bay.

aKF2Ord.png

Insurgency

In menu above, if you 'Select Save Game' your finished Story game will also be there.

6nA0WU2.png

When you launch this, there'll be a new 'Insurgency' item in the menu:

MSRYJW4.png

It looks like a weekly thing—every week forces loyal to dead President Castillo take over 2-3 counties, and you have to take those back. I just poked my nose in so far, so I'll leave it for another post when it should be clearer.

In Insurgency looks to also be where you can pick and choose any bases you'd like to return to the FND forces—so you can go capture it again. I expect to use this to complete my roster of Undetected with Bonus captures—I have most Undetected, but only 8 with the Bonus included. So work to be done!

Reactions: red_5ive
Chute 'em up

I've gotten better with the parachute, can usually land on a roof or whatever these days… say 4 times out of 5. Playing a bit of Insurgency, tasked with capturing Sureno Shipyards which I have Undetected but not +Bonus. Here's Dani approaching via Airdrop from captured Checkpoint just north:

XGRBWPr.png

I decided to have a go at landing on the tall crane in the reticle. Nailed it!

csD2P4D.jpeg

Great vantage point, was able to eliminate all but 2 of the opposition and 1 of 2 alarms from up there. Could've got one more baddie but was worried the last hidden guy might be an officer who would notice and trigger the last alarm.

Dropped down, zapped the last alarm and started the intel download for the bonus. This alerted the remaining 2 baddies who made a beeline over my way. I hunkered down in a corner to protect the download—but they didn't go for it, and it finished.

Now I have a problem. If I go hunting, there's a good chance one of 'em will spot me and I'll lose Undetected. So I stay put, and soon enough one of 'em comes around the corner looking for me—no problem, boom, easy. Except… the other had simultaneously come around the opposite corner and saw me before I could finish her off. Gah!

In hindsight, hunkering was a bad tactical choice, as it fixed me in place. I should've gone to a more flexible location where I had options with low risk of exposure. I should also have tossed a grenade as far as I could, to encourage the baddies to investigate that area.

Another maybe is to go after the hidden guy before the bonus. In case you missed it in an earlier post, to get the bonus there must be one enemy still alive when it completes—so you can't wipe everyone out beforehand, the ideal is to leave some isolated outlier alive for the last zap.

Ah well, live and learn. But I have my chute landing as a positive anyway. And if you do such landings blindfolded and backwards before breakfast, I don't want to hear about it :D

Special Ops

These exist in the main game—talk to Lola at any of the 3 main regional HQs. They involve grabbing a box of volatile PG-240 and keeping it cool enough via shade and water until your exfil. I tried one in my first playthru a year or two ago and decided to skip them from then on—one of the good things about FC is you can skip entire quest lines and still have loads to do.

They're also part of the weekly challenge in the Insurgency mode after you complete the game. While they're aimed at Coop mainly, there is a SP option which I played.

Puerta Del Eden

Tactical spoilers ahead.

This week's Insurgency challenge has the PDE Special Op. I'd completed the other parts of the challenge so decided to have another attempt at a SO. Nice valley map which reminded me of Crysis and the FC4 DLC Heart of Darkness—which Dani mentions at one point, so clearly an inspiration. That means map is wide, but not Open World—plenty of room to maneuver tactically, but you can't wander off exploring.

P93J9mV.png

Success at the second attempt. First attempt was more or less running down the center of the valley to try and hit water sources I'd noted on the way in. Except apparently 3-inch-deep puddles don't count as suitable for cooling a volatile WMD—good to know 🤷‍♂️

I'd made it my business to eliminate every enemy soldier on the way in—in case there was a set amount, and it'd make the exfil easier. That may be the case, as after I eliminated all those at the main target location, no one else came to bother me so I could wander around their HQ poking my nose into various crooks and nannies.

No trouble with WMD overheating this time. I decided that since the sun was in the south I should try hugging the south side of the valley. That worked a treat, loads of shade all the way to the exfil area and made the various water stations with plenty of time to spare.

It sounds like all the SOs feature a delay at the exfil point, as your ride is temp distracted making a buck. You'll need to find a shady spot you can defend, and I recommend you consider proximity explosives to cover your rear approaches. I didn't have those, so it got a bit hectic.

As best I can tell, enemies spawn regularly to take you on, but didn't attack in more than 2s or 3s from 2 sides—only got mildly hairy a couple of times in my shady side flush against the south side, which eliminated one direction vulnerable to attack. Some camp a bit away and take pot shots, so zap those asap when you spot 'em.

After a few minutes of this, Lola will call to tell you to clean up the place so she can grab you. No more spawns after this, just kill the remaining few and you're done.

Nice mission, I'll try a few more when they pop up in the weekly challenge. This was 'Standard' difficulty, there are 3 higher Mastery levels—quick search suggests main diff is shorter get-hot-go-boom time for the WMD. If so, that's disappointing, I'd much prefer additional enemies added rather than getting lucky with water.

Last edited:
Reactions: red_5ive
In hindsight, hunkering was a bad tactical choice, as it fixed me in place. I should've gone to a more flexible location where I had options with low risk of exposure. … Another maybe is to go after the hidden guy before the bonus.

I played a bit of the NG+ tonight and found myself back at Sureno Shipyards. Got it this time!

Mh5DIfh.png

I didn't have an air drop this time, I assume there was a nearby anti-aircraft site—I've done almost nothing else over that side so far. But I was able to climb the same crane, so same prep tactics, took out everyone except the guard at the front gate.

Got out of the laptop downloading area asap and went up high as the loner made a beeline over. Download finished before they got there, so it was just a case of being careful not to be seen—tossing a proximity explosion sealed the deal.

New Amigo K-9000

I may have missed it before, but I think this is only in NG+

njVWU9f.png

Apparently he's from Blood Dragon, a spin-off from FC3 which I never took to. Look at those upgrade requirements—100, 24, 50 events… altho I assume the hundred damage won't rise in ones. Better not, if I choose to give 'im a spin. Hey maybe I can implant some AI…

Boomer

Strange thing I noticed when checking out K9 was that I don't have Boomer as an Amigo—thinking back, I never encountered him cos if I had, I'd definitely have recruited him… I have the other 4.

Reloading FND Bases

I finished the Insurgency challenge, which happily included capturing Fort Esperanza undetected with bonus first try. So I decided to ride my luck and 'abandoned' the Castillo Senorial Tobacco Factory base—you just mouseover it in the map and there's an 'Abandon' button.

Took me 3 tries to get it undetected with bonus. One little wrinkle of NG+ is that all the enemy are Special Forces, so they're tougher and more aggressive. But I should be able to complete my goal of all bases captured undetected with bonus—still got 11 of the 21 without bonus, of which 5 are also missing undetected. It's only a 'win' if I get both in the same run.

Level 23

I mentioned a day or two ago about checking for a level above 20. I've almost got 19 finished, but I noticed this when doing above mission:

TnNdeIW.png

So unless it's an error by Ubi, the enemy can go above 20. Interesting, must keep an eye on other bases when I abandon them.…

unless it's an error by Ubi, the enemy can go above 20. Interesting, must keep an eye on other bases

Same with another base I abandoned to chase the bonuses—Maria Marquessa Productions, got 'em—and it was Rank 23 iirc, above 20 anyway.

Which Explosives to Carry?

The rocket launcher Supremo—and maybe others, I don't play them—has 4 slots for 'gadgets' which include various weapons. I tried and dropped the Molotov, Auto-Turret and Claymore, and have been playing with Dynamite, Grenade, Pipe Bomb and Proximity Explosive.

What do you use?

I've found I use only the Prox and the Dynamite—others only come into play on rare occasion I run out of Dynamite, which hasn't happened recently. I run out of Prox every time tho—there's a carry limit of 3, altho wouldn't surprise me if there's a Gear piece to up that… if you know, please share :) I place them to cover rear approaches, and after I've made a couple of advances, they're gone if I haven't been able to recover them.

So I ditched the Pipe and Grenade, replaced with Poison and Flame Prox Explosives. Should be better RoI.

Rescuing Hostage in Base

I've learned to leave this bonus objective to as close to the end of base capture as possible, ideally just before zapping the last defender. Do it earlier and the hostage grabs a gun and insists on 'helping', mostly by getting in the way, revealing our position to the enemy and needing to be revived—thanks for your contribution Pal :mad:

Special Op Maceo

Had time to run the first half of this, the infil and grab the WMD. In Spec Op above, I died once during exfil and respawned at the grab WMD point. So I quit this one ready to resume today. Except… it had me restart the whole operation. Annoying.

WkBQOwR.png

Made the best of it by going in along the other side, some new scenery—and new enemies to kill too, all freshly minted pixels :) Killed all I saw on in road, so there weren't many on the exfil run, mostly just guarding the vital water spots for cooling the WMD.

Map shape was similar to the Puerta Del Eden one, wide and long. Lola got held up again when I reached exfil point, and it looked like there were 14 enemy there to be zapped—including a Tank. I stayed hidden and picked off wanderers, and they didn't figure out where I was until near the end, which was a big help.

oCyZd7h.png

Good chunk of XP for completing the weekly Insurgency challenge, especially the Spec Op part—I must try and remember to note the amounts next week. I have about 1/4 of L20 complete now, so shouldn't take too long to max it and see if I get 21 or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts