Fallout

Fallout 1 & 2 were great, and story wise, probably the best. But they were isometric games, and I find it harder to compare them to the 1st person Fallouts.

Of the 3 1st person Fallouts (FO3, FONV, FO4), I'd have to give FONV the nod as the best overall in story, characters, and factions. I liked FO3, as it was the first time I could explore the wasteland in first person. I do have to say I loved FO4 for the combat, crafting, and especially the settlement building. I loved the settlement building part of the game.

That said, I think the 3 first person Fallouts are far better games once you mod them to your tastes than they are in the vanilla state.

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Fallout 1 & 2 were great, and story wise, probably the best. But they were isometric games, and I find it harder to compare them to the 1st person Fallouts.

Of the 3 1st person Fallouts (FO3, FONV, FO4), I'd have to give FONV the nod as the best overall in story, characters, and factions. I liked FO3, as it was the first time I could explore the wasteland in first person. I do have to say I loved FO4 for the combat, crafting, and especially the settlement building. I loved the settlement building part of the game.

That said, I think the 3 first person Fallouts are far better games once you mod them to your tastes than they are in the vanilla state.
Yes I agree with you

Reactions: uncleB
I really wish I liked 4 more than I do, the graphics are quite good (although not without it's problems) and the gameplay is very smooth. It didn't feel like there was any love given the game unlike NV.
The fully voiced protagonist was cool but then given a terrible dialogue wheel.
Dog meat is back although he can't die, I know dogs dying is sad but a dog shouldnt be able to survive stepping on a mine.
The fact 76 was being made to be apart of 4 for the mutliplayer and they decided to sell it as it's own game feels cheap.
The game just feels a bit of a letdown, it's a really good game I just feel it could have been much better.

Reactions: uncleB and Rynwar
Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
I'll start by stating that I'm a FPS fan. I haven't tried the first 2 games and I played the third for about an hour and haven't yet returned to it as the shooting mechanics sucked . New Vegas looks good but I expect it is like Fallout 3 so I haven't tried it either. The 4th game is of course my fav as it is geared towards FPS gamers...

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
^ this post makes me sad
KindheartedNervousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

Meanwhile my desire to replay F2 grows. I am revisitting it like every 2 years - it's time.

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I've never played the first two isometric ones and 3 was my first. I played it some ways before losing the save due to a format or something and never went back. NV I never tried and went straight to 4 which I enjoyed very much and also due to losing the save, I recently started another playthrough. I know 4 is not that popular compared to NV but I like it and feel it has the right amount of RPG-ness. 76 on the other hand I thankfully held off on despite Todd's masterful E3 sales pitch but I hear it's now gotten better? Still, once they introduced that $100 pass, I again lost interest in picking it up because I fear most of the good stuff won't be accessible without that pass.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I've never played the first two isometric ones and 3 was my first.

You don't know what you're loosing. :) Playing the first two Fallout games is almost a must for all RPG players. They're timeless classic which heavily impacted the whole genre. By not playing the first Fallout games and Fallout New Vegas you're missing the best games in the series.

I tried Fallout 1 once but quit after an hour or so because the combat just didn't feel right to me.

You should give it a try. One hour is very short for a game such as Fallout. Combat system is only a matter of habit. Do like turn-based combat in other games?

Tried the first one and.... ewww. That game is seriously too old. I might have loved it if I had tried it back when it was newish but not now.

I think you should play the game for a longer time. Give it a chance. :) You just need to get used to oldschool graphics and some mechanics. It's rough at the start, but the game will repay you greatly once you invest your time into it.

You should give it a try. One hour is very short for a game such as Fallout. Combat system is only a matter of habit. Do like turn-based combat in other games?

I do like turn based combat, but so far I've always gotten bored of party based isometric RPGs. Sometimes after an hour, sometimes after several, but I don't think I've ever finished one. The closest I've gotten is finishing Dragon Age: Origins, but I did end up cheating the end boss because I had gotten too bored to figure out how to win without.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I pretty much go in order. Fallout 1, then 2, then 3, then New Vegas, then I stopped playing Fallout. (yes I liked 3 better than New Vegas don't @ me).

I'm perfectly fine with that. Fallout 3 had a more open world feeling than New Vegas. NV was a quite linear experience when it comes to visiting new places. It gave more freedom once you reached New Vegas, but until this point you had to try hard to actually visit the major locations in a different order than it was designed. That's why I understand why someone might prefer F3 over NV.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I'm perfectly fine with that. Fallout 3 had a more open world feeling than New Vegas. NV was a quite linear experience when it comes to visiting new places. It gave more freedom once you reached New Vegas, but until this point you had to try hard to actually visit the major locations in a different order than it was designed. That's why I understand why someone might prefer F3 over NV.

I didn't really know how to describe it, but yes, I felt a lot more locked out of NV - it gave me the feeling that I was doing things wrong when all I really wanted to do was my own thing. Not saying I disliked the game, but I think you put it into words what makes them different.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Fallout 3 had a more open world feeling than New Vegas. NV was a quite linear experience when it comes to visiting new places...
It tried to be, anyway. I managed to find a way past the nasty monsters, slip through a little crack in the geometry, and came out in some sort of battle. I picked up some very nice weapons, and was able to get right to New Vegas but eventually I turned back. It was pretty clear I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

FO3 is great Fallout game, and the fact that it was the first to be in 1st person perspective, made it special. Once you hit Megaton, it did have that open world feel that you could go any direction. FONV, while at first kind of directed you in a southerly route to Prim, the Mojave Outpost, and Nipton, I felt the turning point to going anywhere was Novac. From that point there were just so many directions I could go, whether on a quest, or just exploring, it took me a long time to get to New Vegas itself.

There wasn't the mass destruction that was visible in FO3, but it felt, to me, like there was just so much to do & see. FONV also had the better companions (just my opinion) like Boone, Veronica, & Lily who had really detailed (and sometimes tragic) back stories that came to life if you talked to them enough. And exploring, you could find vaults hidden away in the mountains, with each having a unique feel and backstory. FONV also had some of the best DLCs for any of the Fallouts. Really wish Obsidian had been given more time to flesh out the game as they wanted.

I pretty much go in order. Fallout 1, then 2, then 3, then New Vegas, then I stopped playing Fallout. (yes I liked 3 better than New Vegas don't @ me).
FO3 is a great game and a great RPG, so no @s here. It's a fine line sometimes, picking a favorite game in a series, and it often comes down to those intangibles that are hard to put into words.

I will say, that FO1 & FO2 are still my favorite Fallouts story-wise. In a year of remakes & remasters I'd love to see those two games updated a bit graphically.

TRENDING THREADS