Question Failing to load operating system

Nov 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi, my pc recently when I boot it up get stuck on the black ‘loading operating system’ screen. I can go in to the bios and boot menu fine but that’s about it. I tried using a USB stick for windows 10 media creation tool to reinstall windows as suggested in a Microsoft thread but it only displays the windows logo for a split second before restarting and the process repeats itself. Any suggestions on faulty hardware or software would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi mate it seems to be working now. I removed the 2.5” ssd and then the bootable media seemed to work. Unfortunately most of my stuff was deleted, I may have missed a setting or something in my haste but it’s ok as there wasn’t anything sentimental on it. If you’ve got any advice on getting that back though would be appreciated. Cheers

most of my stuff was deleted
From the SSD, I assume. Is that the only drive in the PC?
Do you mean programs, or your personal stuff like documents, picture etc—I assume personal stuff.

If you only have a small SSD—say 128gig or smaller—it could fill up easily with just general Windows stuff. If you have 256gig it could still fill easily if you install more than 1-2 modern games.

If you go in the BIOS and change the boot order so the bootable media is first, you can reinstall the SSD and access your stuff.

If you can afford it, get an external backup drive and periodically backup your important stuff to it—just personal docs, photos etc, it's not practical to save programs to it.
For programs & the Windows system, you can use a program like Macrium Reflect to take an 'image' of the system drive and save the image to your external backup. I do that every 2nd Tuesday of the month, just before Microsoft issues their main monthly update—if your system goes bad, you're only ~30 minutes from getting it working again by restoring the image.

Nov 14, 2020
Visit site
Do you mean programs, or your personal stuff like documents, picture etc—I assume personal stuff.

If you only have a small SSD—say 128gig or smaller—it could fill up easily with just general Windows stuff. If you have 256gig it could still fill easily if you install more than 1-2 modern games.

If you go in the BIOS and change the boot order so the bootable media is first, you can reinstall the SSD and access your stuff.

If you can afford it, get an external backup drive and periodically backup your important stuff to it—just personal docs, photos etc, it's not practical to save programs to it.
For programs & the Windows system, you can use a program like Macrium Reflect to take an 'image' of the system drive and save the image to your external backup. I do that every 2nd Tuesday of the month, just before Microsoft issues their main monthly update—if your system goes bad, you're only ~30 minutes from getting it working again by restoring the image.

No I also have a HDD which is what I reinstalled windows to and the majority of my documents were on that. My concern is if I reconnect the SSD I’ll have to do the whole process again as it might be corrupted

a HDD which is what I reinstalled windows to and the majority of my documents were on tha
Ok, your docs aren't lost then, you just can't access them.
My concern is if I reconnect the SSD I’ll have to do the whole process again as it might be corrupted
Forget the SSD, since that isn't where your personal docs are.

As long as you do the BIOS change I mentioned—change the boot order so the bootable media is first—then you'll be fine. Do this:
1. BIOS change, shut down;
2. Put your HD back in the PC, reboot;
3. Copy your docs onto something external like a USB drive.

You can remove the HD now, or leave it there, whichever you prefer.

I'm afraid I can't help re your main problem, you probably need to have someone look at it physically to figure out what's wrong.

TRENDING THREADS