Dragon age Inquisition

Anyone else feel like this is a vastly under rated game and honestly i think Andromeda is as well. the base building was better than Neverwinter nights 2, which i think was the best up till DA:I but the side quests some of them were basically an entire short game. (i actually like short games more than longer ones. Give me a short unique story over 60 hours any day of the week)

The item creation was also great. the game felt much more fluid as i leveled up and got to customize my character. I can't wait for the next installment. Outside of starcitizen, and perhaps another Mass effect i can't really think of a game i am more excited for.

So who is with me, anyone else thing DA:I is awesome?!

Reactions: Krud

Zloth

Community Contributor
Awesome is a bit much, but I liked it quite a bit. I wasn't very interested in the crafting but the graphics were nice and the story was good. Plus I love the Walking Bomb spell. ;)

The Deep Roads DLC was actually pretty good, too. I thought I was going to be stuck in corridors most of the time but, once I took that elevator WAY down, it got gorgeous!

Did you find Sandal's diary?

I really wanted to like it, but somehow I always end up getting tired of it after I exit the tedious tutorial and start my journey. Something is just not clicking right for me, unfortunately, and I can't really put my finger on anything particular (with the exception of the tutorial). I did like Dragon Age: Origins though.

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
It's the other point of the spectrum from DA2 being quite open immediately in the start.
I felt overwhelmed when I started and the world opened, still trying to find time to play it properly.

May 1, 2020
Visit site
I acknowledge and even share some of the complains people online have about the game, especially those about the excessive filler content, dissapointing main baddie (the one from the main storyline that is, the one from the last DLC instead became one of my favorite videogame antagonists), gameplay issues (e.g. the clunky tactical mode, at least when using keyboard and mouse), and some of the writing... And yet, Dragon Age: Inquisition still managed to be, so far, one of my favorite videogames of all time :giggle: Things like its gorgeous art direction, some of the characters, its exciting and diverse locations, and the lore basically trumped whatever issues I had with it.

It’s a game I’d love to revisit someday.

Reactions: Krud and Zloth

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I also enjoyed DA:I. It's not as good as the first game in the series, but it has its advantages. I especially liked the rich companion interactions and the Inquisition management part. I didn't like the MMO side quests. After around 30 hours stopped doing them completely.

Jan 18, 2020
Visit site
I'm just going to bounce off the already excellent points that people have made.

Anyone else feel like this is a vastly under rated game

It is, and it isn't. I think it's polarising because the developers still didn't quite get to grips with what exactly made Origins so appealing in the first place.

On the one hand it was a generally well-polished, content-rich game. On the other, it was weaker in almost every aspect compared to it's predecessors.

but the graphics were nice and the story was good. Plus I love the Walking Bomb spell. ;)

The graphics were one of the most defining features of the game, and it holds up now. The world is incredibly well crafted and beautiful, even in the more grittier areas.

I really wanted to like it, but somehow I always end up getting tired of it after I exit the tedious tutorial and start my journey.

This statement essentially sums up the game. It's tedium doesn't improve as the game progresses; it's a slog from start to finish, for a number of reasons I'll mention later.

It's the other point of the spectrum from DA2 being quite open immediately in the start.
I felt overwhelmed when I started and the world opened, still trying to find time to play it properly.

It was TOO open. Furthermore, the majority of the side content did not do enough to draw the player in.

...some of the writing...

Personally I would argue most of the writing was average at best.

I didn't like the MMO side quests. After around 30 hours stopped doing them completely.

Wholeheartedly agree.

The problem with Dragon Age Inquisition is that it was trying to reinvent itself unnecessarily. The end result was effectively a single player MMO, grind and all, which didn't play to Origins strengths such as storytelling, character development etc.

One of my MAJOR gripes with Inquisition was just how awkwardly paced the main story was. I can't remember it right now as it's been quite some time since I last played, but I just remember feeling that many beats within the story were rushed. Yet at the same time, it was a tedious slog to get from one main mission to the next, because you needed to do X or level up to Y.

It's a game I wanted to enjoy thoroughly, and maybe a second playthrough with DLC might help with that, but I was disappointed with the final product.

I'm currently replaying DAI, after having replayed both DAO & DA2 and I find it fun to be able to import your game choices from game to game, don't see that much any more in a game series (ME1-3 did it even better by directly importing your Shepard into the next game).

I really love party based RPGs with a good story and unique/quirky companions (the whole DA series is excellent at that). I like the story and companions of DAI, and there are some really touching moments, as well as humorous. It can be a long and epic game if you want, as many areas are somewhat optional, but I'm a completionest so I really like that. Similar to Skyrim in that respect, you can try to explore the whole world, or bull-rush through to the end if that's your thing.

A couple of game design choices annoy me, but I've learned to live with them.

1-The UI should scale to the resolution you use, but it doesn't, but there's no way to adjust it (outside of turning it off. I'm on a 4k monitor, and the character portraits and tool bar are garishly too large.

2-They completely nerfed the Tactics section, you basically have no control over how or when your characters use an ability (outside of health potions). The tactics options in DAO were the best, you could tweak your companions combat choices to fit what you wanted.

3-Another UI issue is that there are not enough ability slots to go with the abilities you choose, you only get 8 slots, and most companions will have more abilities than slots. Not good in combat.

But overall, I think it's an excellent RPG with a good story (including really good DLCs), great companions with unique personalities, and epic dragon fights. It's a far better game than DA2, but still doesn't come close to DAO, which to me is one of the best RPGs ever.

Zloth

Community Contributor
You could import your choices from the first game to the second. For Inquisition, you had to play 20 questions. I spent a LONG time with screenshots and walk-throughs trying to piece together what I did and didn't do and was definitely not happy about it. Rumor had it that the save files for DA2 made it impossible to import anything. It's really sad what that money-grab did to the game as a whole.

Aren't there mods to mess with the UI?

You could import your choices from the first game to the second. For Inquisition, you had to play 20 questions. I spent a LONG time with screenshots and walk-throughs trying to piece together what I did and didn't do and was definitely not happy about it. Rumor had it that the save files for DA2 made it impossible to import anything. It's really sad what that money-grab did to the game as a whole.

Aren't there mods to mess with the UI?

I checked Nexus, and also Googled the thing with the UI scaling, and there wasn't anything. Options screen only allowed turning it off, or having it on just in combat. I just wanted the thing smaller.

Reactions: Zloth

Zloth

Community Contributor
The problem i think would be that some people would have just one game, or the other.
Nah, that's no biggy. The second game's save SHOULD have the first game's choices in it. If they didn't play the first game, then the automatic choice selections would be saved. If they didn't play the second, then they could just ask questions about what they player wants for Hawke. Unfortunately, the second game saves didn't even have the second game's choices. The whole thing was rushed and save game continuity was just something else that got dropped. (I expect not all that many people use it. Only about a quarter of players are likely to even finish the game, never mind keep track of their save files for years after the fact. But I'm one that did keep them around so I ain't happy.)

I dunno what you mean about money grab though, all 3 are quality RPG's. Not liking some of the design choices or even story aspects is perfectly fine, but that doesn't make them bad games.
Maybe "hype grab" would have been a better term. The point being that they simply didn't take the time they needed to flesh out what they wanted to get done. At any rate, it's not a bad game, it's just not a terribly good one, either.

Apr 25, 2020
Visit site
I never really liked the world and lore of Dragon Age. Too black and white, good versus evil, omg you're the chosen one stuff. But as a KOTOR and Mass Effect fan I did enjoy the companion stuff in Origins and DA2. So of course I got Inquisition.

I never finished it. I just don't like this fantasy world, but also got burned out fast on the bad open world design (the quests were more MMO'ish than most quests in SWTOR, which is an actual MMO). The companions were cringy. A big negative was the character creation as well, I just couldn't make something I liked and then also butchered my Hawke when she was introduced.

Then I disocvered The Witcher III and omg... DAI just felt like a badly animated Nickelodeon show for three year olds compared to a HBO series.

That DAI still got GOTY awards had to do with there being barely an alternative that year.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
I recently completed inquisition and did everything in it , total playing time 122 hours.

I'm impressed! I have over 100 hours invested in the game, and I'm still at Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts, that Empress party or whatever. (It's been a while. But I remember feeling slightly overwhelmed by that quest and taking a break, and I've since been distracted by a half dozen other big games.)

There's a lot I like about Dragon Age: Inquisition, but as someone who has almost zero patience with MMOs, it felt far too MMO-like for my liking. Only single-player series that feels worse in that way to me are the early Assassin's Creed games. I also wasn't a fan of the realtime companion quests.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
This is a fun game, and I really like the option to customize the character. And the whole idea of this story and character is worth playing this game. In general, I love all the games about and with dragons. I have that dragon vibe that I can't deal with quickly, which started with watching the Game of Thrones series. I have a whole collection of jewelry at home with dragons, toys gifted by friends, and clothes with a dragon print. Is anyone else like me?

Last edited:
It is a long time since i used all the other dragon age games.
I am not giving any secrets away in case somebody reads this who has not finished the game , all i will say is that their is a real twist near the end.

I am going to load up my last save point because i have actually forgotten how it ends.

I cant remember which DA game it was but at the end almost everywhere is destroyed by fire , the game finally ends and invites you to re-visit locations to do any side bits you did not do BUT the twist is you cant do them because the areas have been destroyed and everyone has gone

There's a lot I like about Dragon Age: Inquisition, but as someone who has almost zero patience with MMOs, it felt far too MMO-like for my liking. Only single-player series that feels worse in that way to me are the early Assassin's Creed games. I also wasn't a fan of the realtime companion quests.

The game only feels like an MMO grind if you make it that way. There wasn't a single time in the game outside of i need X Y and Z to craft an item and at least with wiki i knew where to go if i couldn't remember or i could just go to one of a few stores to buy said item. But i never felt the need to push levels, really the only thing you need to do is get to 10 to decide which focus you want on your main character and that comes really early in the game.

outside of that i never just spent time killing monsters for the heck of it, well unless i really wanted to, the dragon hunt was fun, But i often ould ride my horse to skip stuff all together. The game could have had a fast travel update though unlocking all camps for those that really want to just focus more on the stories at hand. It was fun to naturally explore them the first time, but even then i wouldn't of minded just warping to the middle of no where.

Grinding is a mindset and really has zero to do with the game. Even if you speed through the game doing virtually no side quests you should be just fine for the story. I know andromeda scales and i think DA:I does to because i was a lot higher level, i think nearly 10 levels higher and the end game was just as challenging. in fact in andromeda you can clearly see it as i could swear the game kicks up a notch every 10 levels, either that or maybe it's just the boss fights., (that big metal thing in the wilds) Try fighting it at level 18, then again at 21. (reload after you beat it. the biggest difference was between level 29 and 30, talk about hard hitting.

2-They completely nerfed the Tactics section, you basically have no control over how or when your characters use an ability (outside of health potions). The tactics options in DAO were the best, you could tweak your companions combat choices to fit what you wanted.

3-Another UI issue is that there are not enough ability slots to go with the abilities you choose, you only get 8 slots, and most companions will have more abilities than slots. Not good in combat.

You build your characters around the 8 slots, Andromeda only had 3 soo.. I really think it was a design choice for consoles, You just can't have 20 things lined up across the screen and use them effectively. There are only so many buttons on a controller, so they simplified it. You should be setting up your skills for the battles. Lots of game you do that, swap gear, swap buffs, swap what spells you learn in the case of dnd.

Take a game like Dungeons of Naheulbeuk, You often respect our character for specific fights, it's part of the games charm., The game uses a set random seed, (though it has an option to turn it off) So to replay a battle you actually have to do things different verse waiting for a good roll streak to make your bad tactic win.

As far as the tactics second went i found my AI guys in DA:I were a lot better at using powers verse me microing them. But these games become mage controller on tougher fights. You are not always controling you and you are far better at controlling magic than AI ever could be. the fighter and rogue are on auto pilot, I honeslty think that is why people found the game less challening because the AI actually worked. in DAO you really had to tweak a ton of stuff just to get them so they didn't drop every fight.

Then I discovered The Witcher III and omg... DAI just felt like a badly animated Nickelodeon show for three year olds compared to a HBO series.

really? i guess i'm in the other group, that is the game i find over rated. The first was good but they took everything i enjoyed about it and tossed it out the window. ISO metric gameplay with mouse click swordplay and an awesome potion stacking system and just completely yanked the entire core of the game out and redid it. Yet another game that got consolized I try to go back and play them and i just can't. I think i tried replaying II 3 times and barely got into it once, 2 turned me off so much that i can't even give III a proper chance because i turn it off after an hour. I think,, ya it's geralt.. Lets following him around for the next 150 hours.

The witcher is a perfect game for people that like games like Skyrim, but if you want a proper party based RPG it totally blows.

But that's why there are all sorts of games out there.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS