Dragon age Inquisition

Sep 21, 2020
Anyone else feel like this is a vastly under rated game and honestly i think Andromeda is as well. the base building was better than Neverwinter nights 2, which i think was the best up till DA:I but the side quests some of them were basically an entire short game. (i actually like short games more than longer ones. Give me a short unique story over 60 hours any day of the week)

The item creation was also great. the game felt much more fluid as i leveled up and got to customize my character. I can't wait for the next installment. Outside of starcitizen, and perhaps another Mass effect i can't really think of a game i am more excited for.

So who is with me, anyone else thing DA:I is awesome?!

Reactions: Krud

Zloth

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Awesome is a bit much, but I liked it quite a bit. I wasn't very interested in the crafting but the graphics were nice and the story was good. Plus I love the Walking Bomb spell. ;)

The Deep Roads DLC was actually pretty good, too. I thought I was going to be stuck in corridors most of the time but, once I took that elevator WAY down, it got gorgeous!

Did you find Sandal's diary?

Frindis

Jan 14, 2020
I really wanted to like it, but somehow I always end up getting tired of it after I exit the tedious tutorial and start my journey. Something is just not clicking right for me, unfortunately, and I can't really put my finger on anything particular (with the exception of the tutorial). I did like Dragon Age: Origins though.

Jul 13, 2020
It's the other point of the spectrum from DA2 being quite open immediately in the start.
I felt overwhelmed when I started and the world opened, still trying to find time to play it properly.

May 1, 2020
I acknowledge and even share some of the complains people online have about the game, especially those about the excessive filler content, dissapointing main baddie (the one from the main storyline that is, the one from the last DLC instead became one of my favorite videogame antagonists), gameplay issues (e.g. the clunky tactical mode, at least when using keyboard and mouse), and some of the writing... And yet, Dragon Age: Inquisition still managed to be, so far, one of my favorite videogames of all time :giggle: Things like its gorgeous art direction, some of the characters, its exciting and diverse locations, and the lore basically trumped whatever issues I had with it.

It’s a game I’d love to revisit someday.

Reactions: Krud and Zloth

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Jan 14, 2020
I also enjoyed DA:I. It's not as good as the first game in the series, but it has its advantages. I especially liked the rich companion interactions and the Inquisition management part. I didn't like the MMO side quests. After around 30 hours stopped doing them completely.

Jan 18, 2020
I'm just going to bounce off the already excellent points that people have made.

Anyone else feel like this is a vastly under rated game
It is, and it isn't. I think it's polarising because the developers still didn't quite get to grips with what exactly made Origins so appealing in the first place.

On the one hand it was a generally well-polished, content-rich game. On the other, it was weaker in almost every aspect compared to it's predecessors.

but the graphics were nice and the story was good. Plus I love the Walking Bomb spell. ;)
The graphics were one of the most defining features of the game, and it holds up now. The world is incredibly well crafted and beautiful, even in the more grittier areas.

I really wanted to like it, but somehow I always end up getting tired of it after I exit the tedious tutorial and start my journey.
This statement essentially sums up the game. It's tedium doesn't improve as the game progresses; it's a slog from start to finish, for a number of reasons I'll mention later.

It's the other point of the spectrum from DA2 being quite open immediately in the start.
I felt overwhelmed when I started and the world opened, still trying to find time to play it properly.
It was TOO open. Furthermore, the majority of the side content did not do enough to draw the player in.

...some of the writing...
Personally I would argue most of the writing was average at best.

I didn't like the MMO side quests. After around 30 hours stopped doing them completely.
Wholeheartedly agree.

The problem with Dragon Age Inquisition is that it was trying to reinvent itself unnecessarily. The end result was effectively a single player MMO, grind and all, which didn't play to Origins strengths such as storytelling, character development etc.

One of my MAJOR gripes with Inquisition was just how awkwardly paced the main story was. I can't remember it right now as it's been quite some time since I last played, but I just remember feeling that many beats within the story were rushed. Yet at the same time, it was a tedious slog to get from one main mission to the next, because you needed to do X or level up to Y.

It's a game I wanted to enjoy thoroughly, and maybe a second playthrough with DLC might help with that, but I was disappointed with the final product.

Nov 27, 2020
I'm currently replaying DAI, after having replayed both DAO & DA2 and I find it fun to be able to import your game choices from game to game, don't see that much any more in a game series (ME1-3 did it even better by directly importing your Shepard into the next game).

I really love party based RPGs with a good story and unique/quirky companions (the whole DA series is excellent at that). I like the story and companions of DAI, and there are some really touching moments, as well as humorous. It can be a long and epic game if you want, as many areas are somewhat optional, but I'm a completionest so I really like that. Similar to Skyrim in that respect, you can try to explore the whole world, or bull-rush through to the end if that's your thing.

A couple of game design choices annoy me, but I've learned to live with them.

1-The UI should scale to the resolution you use, but it doesn't, but there's no way to adjust it (outside of turning it off. I'm on a 4k monitor, and the character portraits and tool bar are garishly too large.

2-They completely nerfed the Tactics section, you basically have no control over how or when your characters use an ability (outside of health potions). The tactics options in DAO were the best, you could tweak your companions combat choices to fit what you wanted.

3-Another UI issue is that there are not enough ability slots to go with the abilities you choose, you only get 8 slots, and most companions will have more abilities than slots. Not good in combat.

But overall, I think it's an excellent RPG with a good story (including really good DLCs), great companions with unique personalities, and epic dragon fights. It's a far better game than DA2, but still doesn't come close to DAO, which to me is one of the best RPGs ever.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
You could import your choices from the first game to the second. For Inquisition, you had to play 20 questions. I spent a LONG time with screenshots and walk-throughs trying to piece together what I did and didn't do and was definitely not happy about it. Rumor had it that the save files for DA2 made it impossible to import anything. It's really sad what that money-grab did to the game as a whole.

Aren't there mods to mess with the UI?

Nov 27, 2020
You could import your choices from the first game to the second. For Inquisition, you had to play 20 questions. I spent a LONG time with screenshots and walk-throughs trying to piece together what I did and didn't do and was definitely not happy about it. Rumor had it that the save files for DA2 made it impossible to import anything. It's really sad what that money-grab did to the game as a whole.

Aren't there mods to mess with the UI?
I checked Nexus, and also Googled the thing with the UI scaling, and there wasn't anything. Options screen only allowed turning it off, or having it on just in combat. I just wanted the thing smaller.

Reactions: Zloth
Sep 21, 2020

The problem i think would be that some people would have just one game, or the other.. Meaning what if they just had one, what if they played 2 with out importing one, what if they just wanted to import 2? To many variables to deal with. I'd if like the thing done in a different way though. They could of played it out like a story from start to finish. AKA made a visual novel for each choice. Have a brief recap of the event then you get to choose the choice. It could of been a great way to refresh your mind at all the choices you made over the course of the games.

I dunno what you mean about money grab though, all 3 are quality RPG's. Not liking some of the design choices or even story aspects is perfectly fine, but that doesn't make them bad games. That phrase gets so over used. I swear nearly every single game i play i see people saying how the game sucks, it's nothing more than a money grab, the devs don't care, and also suck. Just head on over to steam and see how many pages you have to scroll before you fine all 3.. It's a fun game! For bonus points look for this game doesn't start, or CTD!

A couple of game design choices annoy me, but I've learned to live with them.

1-The UI should scale to the resolution you use, but it doesn't, but there's no way to adjust it (outside of turning it off. I'm on a 4k monitor, and the character portraits and tool bar are garishly too large.

2-They completely nerfed the Tactics section, you basically have no control over how or when your characters use an ability (outside of health potions). The tactics options in DAO were the best, you could tweak your companions combat choices to fit what you wanted.

3-Another UI issue is that there are not enough ability slots to go with the abilities you choose, you only get 8 slots, and most companions will have more abilities than slots. Not good in combat.
I agree with you here. The tactics though, i am pretty sure i liked DA2's better, i recall it having more options. DAO was very good though. DAI you need to turn off key powers then jump to the players or use the tactical screen and use them. In some ways it is kinda like Baldur's gate on that side of things where you would pop between spell casters, or jump into the theif ect.

Not enough slots bugged me too, ME had the same issue in ME:A in that one you only could have 3 powers. I realize it was a balance thing for that game, but i would of rather seen longer cooldowns after using powers. Like if you used a power you could use a second, but if you wanted the third you would have to wait, and each time you used a power you would get cooldowns before you could use another. I think that would of been a far better way to balance things verse changing profiles. I realize not the same game, but at least the game had respec, What i would build my characters with that in mind. The other thing is you can move powers, and really you don't need all for every fight, a bunch of powers were rather specific to certain battles. For example you could remove dispel from your mage most of the time. Or if enemies had a resist pull that power ect. But yea, i dunno why they didn't at least have 12, after all i have 12 function keys. or 1-=

Zloth

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
The problem i think would be that some people would have just one game, or the other.
Nah, that's no biggy. The second game's save SHOULD have the first game's choices in it. If they didn't play the first game, then the automatic choice selections would be saved. If they didn't play the second, then they could just ask questions about what they player wants for Hawke. Unfortunately, the second game saves didn't even have the second game's choices. The whole thing was rushed and save game continuity was just something else that got dropped. (I expect not all that many people use it. Only about a quarter of players are likely to even finish the game, never mind keep track of their save files for years after the fact. But I'm one that did keep them around so I ain't happy.)

I dunno what you mean about money grab though, all 3 are quality RPG's. Not liking some of the design choices or even story aspects is perfectly fine, but that doesn't make them bad games.
Maybe "hype grab" would have been a better term. The point being that they simply didn't take the time they needed to flesh out what they wanted to get done. At any rate, it's not a bad game, it's just not a terribly good one, either.

Apr 25, 2020
I never really liked the world and lore of Dragon Age. Too black and white, good versus evil, omg you're the chosen one stuff. But as a KOTOR and Mass Effect fan I did enjoy the companion stuff in Origins and DA2. So of course I got Inquisition.

I never finished it. I just don't like this fantasy world, but also got burned out fast on the bad open world design (the quests were more MMO'ish than most quests in SWTOR, which is an actual MMO). The companions were cringy. A big negative was the character creation as well, I just couldn't make something I liked and then also butchered my Hawke when she was introduced.

Then I disocvered The Witcher III and omg... DAI just felt like a badly animated Nickelodeon show for three year olds compared to a HBO series.

That DAI still got GOTY awards had to do with there being barely an alternative that year.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
Jan 14, 2020
twitter.com
I recently completed inquisition and did everything in it , total playing time 122 hours.
I'm impressed! I have over 100 hours invested in the game, and I'm still at Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts, that Empress party or whatever. (It's been a while. But I remember feeling slightly overwhelmed by that quest and taking a break, and I've since been distracted by a half dozen other big games.)

There's a lot I like about Dragon Age: Inquisition, but as someone who has almost zero patience with MMOs, it felt far too MMO-like for my liking. Only single-player series that feels worse in that way to me are the early Assassin's Creed games. I also wasn't a fan of the realtime companion quests.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS