does this upgrade make sense?

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
Hello.
Would the following upgrade made sense to play games on an ultrawide monitor? I'm no pro gamer and don't need maximum FPS or something, but I want to be able to play games for a couple years without having to upgrade again soon or to have always set everything to the lowest graphics settings.

Current system:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: 32GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk AMD B450 SoAM4
PSU: 550 Watt Seasonic
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 601 Midi Tower
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
GPU: Geforce GTX 1650 (my 2070 died a while ago)

Considered Upgrade:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power 12 750W or Adata XPG Core Reactor 650W. I mean, depending on the GPU I guess the current 550 PSU should still work, but I've heard different advice there.
GPU: 4070 RTX (mostly because it's not quite as expensive as a 6950 XT)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S Chromax Black

I'm neither rich nor poor and just moved to a different city which was expensive, so the budget is limited, but as said I'd just like to play something else but indie games again. :) Thanks for sharing your expert knowledge. :)

GPU: 4070 RTX (mostly because it's not quite as expensive as a 6950 XT)
Man, it's nice to see the prices finally start to come down into a normal-ish price range. Everything else looks fine without digging into the part list too much. Me personally I would look at the motherboard at some point, especially if your already upgrading the CPU. I use an Asus 34" curve monitor and a 24" wide, might be bigger, monitor on its side for reading and discord. I wouldn't mind trying a wider monitor then the one I have. If you do an ultra wide, I would recommend putting it on a mounting arm and get it off the desk.

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that 7-5700X CPU. A new mainboard would probably make sense at some point, but good mainboards also seem to be somewhat expensive, so while this works I'd probably try to stick with it.

You probably don't need the 5800X3D. "Ultrafast". On 1440p Ultrawide with a lot of eye candy on, your GPU will be the bottleneck anyways.
The way I see it, you have 3 options.
*Keep the 2600 and see if the framerate is ok when you get the GPU and monitor
*Get the 5800X3D
*Get another cheaper CPU, like the 5700x, or even 5600(x).

You do need a new PSU

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
Which upgrade you did do? I am curious to know because my recent configuration is the same as yours. I love to play games as well.
At first I wanted to pick up the cheapest 4070, but as that only has two fans I learned that it would get hotter and noisier than many others, so I went with a mid-tier-custom model that is supposed to be more silent and cooler, a GiBy12GB D6X RTX 4070 Eagle OC. As that one is overclocked though the PSU-recommendations are higher with 650 Watts, so I replaced my 550 Watt with a Corsair RM750x (2021) just to have some wiggle room. The graphics card already arrived but the PSU will sadly arrive in a couple days, so I haven't tried it out yet. So far I didn't upgrade the CPU as I first wanted to see how much of a bottle neck is really is.

At least here in Germany this seemed to be an acceptable option regarding the prices of the items. :)

At first I wanted to pick up the cheapest 4070, but as that only has two fans I learned that it would get hotter and noisier than many others, so I went with a mid-tier-custom model that is supposed to be more silent and cooler, a GiBy12GB D6X RTX 4070 Eagle OC. As that one is overclocked though the PSU-recommendations are higher with 650 Watts, so I replaced my 550 Watt with a Corsair RM750x (2021) just to have some wiggle room. The graphics card already arrived but the PSU will sadly arrive in a couple days, so I haven't tried it out yet. So far I didn't upgrade the CPU as I first wanted to see how much of a bottle neck is really is.

At least here in Germany this seemed to be an acceptable option regarding the prices of the items. :)
You can try the GPU. Just run it with a slightly lower clock through MSI afterburner.

i wouldn't have thought a 4070 would hold back a 5800x3d. You might be right, I just read its sort of opposite for the 7900xt in that the CPU becomes a bottleneck... You can't avoid bottlenecks, fix one and it just makes something else the slow part.

Still saving for my 5800x3d. I wish prices here were as low as US, I seee it for just under 300 there.

other advantages 4070 has over 6950xt
its not as big
You don't need as big a PSU
its got better RT if you care about that sort of thing

Disadvantages - Its not as good in raster
only has 12gb of vram. Not problem now but maybe...

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS