Do you pursue romance in RPG's?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Not as a rule but sometimes. The Witcher, I collected a few cards. The Witcher 2 I think I got them all including Triss. The Witcher III Nor so much except for the Brothels as you got XP. 2 points, but XP is XP. Then there was Yenifer and a couple others. Haven't pursued it in ME. Not aware of it being an option on any of the others I have played. Suppose someone may have come up with a Mod or two.

I usually start off taking an interest but I feel that they are such a poor representation of the real thing that they are a waste of time. However if there are XP or prizes then that keeps me going for a while. So probably not so different from the last few posters.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 17, 2024
Visit site
I always respect when games have restrict love lines based on in game choices. When you can do anything and then turn around and just butter up characters with copious amounts of gifts, it hurts the story aspect. I want my romance lines to feel genuine and enhance the story and not just tickle my lust meter.

Aug 31, 2024
Visit site
Greetings and Salutations to all...first post.
I usually do the Romance thing just to get a break from the Grind.
Like ME 3 you are given an Apt. at the fabled Sunset Strip only to get more fighting, the Arcade...Boxing at Shattered Ezo, Shooting more of the same ole tired enemies to get a better score the Barla Von, I forget the name of the place, then only to meet Jack there for more Relaxation?!
If Battle and the Slaughter of her enemies is relaxing, it must follw that FemShep is a very relaxed individual! :LOL:
For me it is a nice break from all the inserted quests that usually come like someone just dumped a basket full of them out on the Bridge.
I really liked the Romance in DA, have most of those games except the newest, and Yes the Heart next to the dialogue helped immensely, the point of the spoken dialogue not fitting with the spoken lines in ME, 2, 3, is right too, who wrote that?!
Anyway thanks for the opportunity to voice my Opinion.

ElvenNeko

Registered Developer
Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
Sometimes. But lately rpg's rarely have characters who are interesting, attractive and romancable. Usually it's 1 or 2 out of 3. Like i wanted to romance Cassia in RT, but she was hetero and i were playing as a woman. And in Pathfinder 2, both characters that seemed nice to me (Nenio and... i don't know what's her english name, but in my traslation she were Charcoal) bot were not romancable at all. And in BG3 all characters were romancable, but also all of them were... meh.

ElvenNeko

Registered Developer
Jul 6, 2024
Visit site
Ember.

Nenio would forget the relationship was going on!
That was one thing that is very simillar between me and her. I also forgot stuff that i do not find interesting very fast, and unable to learn most of the stuff because of that. Like, no matter how much i study, it just gets deleted. The only difference is that she could chose what she deletes, when i do not.

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
I actually have some strong opinions on romance in RPGs. I think it's almost always a waste of development resources because to do such a complex and nuanced topic justice you'd need to build a second game most of the time. How it is in its current form, let's say in Baldur's Gate 3 or Mass Effect, it's nothing more than a gimmick. The developers are trying to squeeze something important, meaningful, and difficult into a series of dialogues and a cutscene.

In all the RPGs I've played, romance never feels authentic or, for lack of a better word, 'real'. As a result, it's never interesting. You just choose some dialogue options and suddenly the NPC loves you. If in other game mechanics, the verisimilitude for me can be stronger, because I'm doing something fantastical anyway, in romance I cannot suspend my disbelief as much because it's so much more nuanced than producing a fireball spell.

Not sure how much sense I'm making. Hopefully, some.

I think the romance in BG3 can be both hit and a miss. I very much enjoyed the friendship with Shadowheart and the romance options did not come early. It slowly builds up because Shadowheart has a problem trusting other people because of suppressed memories of trauma in the past. Early on Shar the Goddess of Darkness is the only one she truly follows and trusts.

Minthara on the other hand is very easy to romance, but that is also kind of the point of her early character development without much focus on friendship and feelings. She is also very driven since she is a paladin, so emotional talk is not much of interest. She does open up more as you play.

The Emperor I would say is one of the more gimmicky ones and obviously for that reason very easy to romance. Here is the romance scene and I put a spoiler tag on it in case some want to experience it firsthand.
aKnsFKt.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the romance in BG3 can be both hit and a miss. I very much enjoyed the friendship with Shadowheart and the romance options did not come early. It slowly builds up because Shadowheart has a problem trusting other people because of suppressed memories of trauma in the past. Early on Shar the Goddess of Darkness is the only one she truly follows and trusts.

Minthara on the other hand is very easy to romance, but that is also kind of the point of her early character development without much focus on friendship and feelings. She is also very driven since she is a paladin, so emotional talk is not much of interest. She does open up more as you play.

The Emperor I would say is one of the more gimmicky ones and obviously for that reason very easy to romance. Here is the romance scene and I put a spoiler tag on it in case some want to experience it firsthand.
aKnsFKt.jpeg

This was not my experience with Shadowheart.

She saw me with the ripped apart remains of a random bard that joined our camp for a night and I confessed I killed her because I get extremely violent urges I cannot control. A couple nights later she's basically throwing herself at me even though we haven't had a proper conversation since.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I actually have some strong opinions on romance in RPGs. I think it's almost always a waste of development resources because to do such a complex and nuanced topic justice you'd need to build a second game most of the time.
What about in movies? If they want a couple to fall in love, they've only got two or three hours. Way less than that if the story is about something else.

TRENDING THREADS