Do you grab all the free Epic games?

Even though you are going to die alone with a 5000 game backlog? Hmm, maybe that was a bit grim. Anyway, I grab them all. I even get the monthly free Unreal assets just in case I ever want to make a game (will never happen). So far, I've never completed an Epic freebie, although I came close with RiME, which I really enjoyed. Lots of cool puzzles in that game. I've been thinking about restarting it.

Do you make a point of getting them or do you only get the ones you really want, or don't bother at all?

Yes.

i'm a sucker for free stuff and the epic store has back filled some of my wish list and also given out some seriously good stuff. That said if Epic thought that giving away free games would encourage me to spend money they're seriously mistaken. I'll only buy a game if the deal is good. I've made one or 2 purchases but otherwise i've taken more then i have spent.

Reactions: ZedClampet
I don't get them every month. Usually I get reminded by the 'time limited free games' thread on here. Sometimes if I'm really not interested I'll not get them but most of the time there is at least one game I want.

Reactions: ZedClampet
I probably have all the freebies from Epic. Apparently they invested $430m last year, and expect it to be years before they make a profit—was it 2027 in whatever article I saw? I've played a few bits of a few of the freebies, and bought a few AAAs for $5 there like AC Origins & Odyssey plus a couple of Tom Clancy.

I even get the monthly free Unreal assets just in case I ever want to make a game
Tip: #1 mistake new devs make is biting off more than they can chew, aka seriously underestimating what a game is going to require.
You're picking the most complex engine with Unreal. Try simpler first, to get a taste for it and maybe get a small win under your belt. This thread might help :)

I probably have all the freebies from Epic. Apparently they invested $430m last year, and expect it to be years before they make a profit—was it 2027 in whatever article I saw? I've played a few bits of a few of the freebies, and bought a few AAAs for $5 there like AC Origins & Odyssey plus a couple of Tom Clancy.

Tip: #1 mistake new devs make is biting off more than they can chew, aka seriously underestimating what a game is going to require.
You're picking the most complex engine with Unreal. Try simpler first, to get a taste for it and maybe get a small win under your belt. This thread might help :)

Programming isn't really my problem. It's art. I've used Unity quite a bit for other things, but Unreal has a couple of features coming in 5 that I'd like to use.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Same, didn't claim a single game from them. If they stop being distruptive to PC game market, I would consider using their platform even with my awful experiences in the past. But for now they can... walk away very fast. ;)

I'm with both Zloth and OsaXNymloth, I haven't touched an Epic Store's free game, and I don't want them on or near my PC. Market competition is a good thing, but I don't agree with how they do business. This issue has been discussed, sometimes heatedly, in a lot of places; and while I can respect other's opinions on the issue, I won't be bribed into using them because they want to tempt me with free games.

I'm with both Zloth and OsaXNymloth, I haven't touched an Epic Store's free game, and I don't want them on or near my PC. Market competition is a good thing, but I don't agree with how they do business. This issue has been discussed, sometimes heatedly, in a lot of places; and while I can respect other's opinions on the issue, I won't be bribed into using them because they want to tempt me with free games.

Oh, I'm not being bribed. I'm just taking their games. I'm not reciprocating in any way :)

Zloth

Community Contributor
If they stop being distruptive to PC game market, I would consider using their platform even with my awful experiences in the past.
I would - especially if they can get forums that work half way decent. Steam's forums, at least when you use their client, are pretty bad. It assumes all topics have been read if I spend more than a few minutes replying to a post!
Oh, I'm not being bribed. I'm just taking their games. I'm not reciprocating in any way :)
Actually, you might be! If it's a game you don't ever play, it doesn't matter at all. If it's something you would have bought on Steam or GOG, though, the store you would have bought from misses out on a sale.

They tend to be small, niche games but sometimes you get a fairly big one, like NieR: Replicant. That hasn't even been out for six months yet.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I would - especially if they can get forums that work half way decent. Steam's forums, at least when you use their client, are pretty bad. It assumes all topics have been read if I spend more than a few minutes replying to a post!

Actually, you might be! If it's a game you don't ever play, it doesn't matter at all. If it's something you would have bought on Steam or GOG, though, the store you would have bought from misses out on a sale.

They tend to be small, niche games but sometimes you get a fairly big one, like NieR: Replicant. That hasn't even been out for six months yet.

Nope. If someone handed me a free phone, so I didn't go buy one, I haven't been bribed just because the phone company lost out on a sale. I'm only bribed if I now do something for the person who gave me the free phone.

I don't buy games to support a store though, I buy games to support the developers and Epic is currently giving more of the money I spend to the developers compared to Steam. They even give money to the developers if I get a free game, so that seems like a win-win to me.

I've picked up some to try out if they're interesting to me, but if I don't care I wont bother.

I only avoid buying games on Epic because I like to get achievements. I don't go after them religiously to 100% or even close, but I go hunting them occasionally if getting them makes me use different methods or weapons outside of my comfort zone. They force me to play games differently which can keep things interesting.

I buy games to support the developers and Epic is currently giving more of the money I spend to the developers compared to Steam. They even give money to the developers if I get a free game, so that seems like a win-win to me
This is a key reason why I grab all their games, and want Epic in the game—so to speak. GOG hasn't really flourished into a serious competitor for Steam, and we sorely need at least one other big player—preferably more—to help ensure the marketplace stays healthy into the future.

I also like that they're taking on Apple re their business practices around the Apple store. While it was supposed to be a throwaway promo lawsuit, they actually got a bit of a win out of it earlier this week.

Epic website is very poor though, they really need to get that at least up to basic competency.

As things stand, Steam is by far the best store, and I'll support GOG any way I can because of the wonderful player-friendly job they did/do of making old games playable on newer Windows.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Nope. If someone handed me a free phone, so I didn't go buy one, I haven't been bribed just because the phone company lost out on a sale. I'm only bribed if I now do something for the person who gave me the free phone.
You did do something - you stayed out of Steam. If it was your first game from them, you set up an account with them.

But now we're getting down to semantics. Is a free sample a kind of bribe? All the stores give away games from time to time. Ubi gave me Watch Dogs 2, for instance. I played it, had fun with it, talked about it, posted my own screenshots, and so on. I wasn't planning on getting the game at all until they gave it out for free. Was I bribed to do so?

Do you remember when Epic first started doing their exclusivity deals? PC gamers were outraged! How DARE they force me to buy from one store! Then they started handing out free games. Fairly recent games, too, not little indie games that came out ten years ago. The outrage vanished, turning into a little grumbling and some conspiracy theories. Sure looks like they bought good will to me. Do I hear Ted DiBiase laughing?
I don't buy games to support a store though, I buy games to support the developers and Epic is currently giving more of the money I spend to the developers compared to Steam. They even give money to the developers if I get a free game, so that seems like a win-win to me.
More money to developers is certainly a nice thing. This would be a good, healthy competition if it were a matter of Steam's better features vs. Epic taking a smaller cut.

When the epic store first started being a thing I was never angry or annoyed at them (or the devs) for making certain games exclusive to the store since I very rarely purchase games on day one,
I was mainly annoyed because it was yet another storefront to purchase games from, and yes they did sway my opinion with their various give-away, of which I've claimed every single one (excluding the foodball one), even the games I already owned.
even managed to finish a few.
If it wasn't for Epic i probably wouldn't have played Oxenfree, Axion Verge, A short hike or Sunless Sea and had an absolute blast with all 4.

Steam's forums, at least when you use their client, are pretty bad. It assumes all topics have been read if I spend more than a few minutes replying to a post!
I've always wondered about that, and it's always bugged me how when in a Steam discussion forum the topics go from highlighted (unread) to dull (read). Read a few topics, or respond to one, and chances are all the links will be dull. You'd think they would have fixed that by now.

Hmm, I've never had that in browser. I visit Steam always in browser, only use client for games list, activations etc.

If you visit the same forum in browser, are all the topics still marked read?
I never thought about the Steam Discussion Forums in a browser. I usually just click on the "discussion" tab for a game I'm playing or following because it's so convenient. I'll have to try them in a browser to see if it's different.

TRENDING THREADS