Demos—post game demos here

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Reactions: Brian Boru
Manor Lords
"medieval strategy game featuring in-depth city building, large-scale tactical battles, and complex economic and social simulations. Rule your lands as a medieval lord -- the seasons pass, the weather changes, and cities rise and fall"

Just watched 20 minutes of Spud's hugely enthusiastic mess around with it, the village build does seem superb.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
More from Steam Next Fest:

First-person grid-based dungeon crawler based on Slavic mythology.

Top-down pixel art soulslike with a Castlevania vibe.

ACE Team's follow-up to Zeno Clash, also a soulslike.

Fantasy retro FPS.

2D platformer where you have a gun that is also an umbrella.

Colorful 3D action-platformer with permadeath.

Co-op hack-and-slasher.

Post-apocalyptic scavenge-em-up extraction shooter.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Fine, how about these?

Noirish psychological thriller point-and-click where you cover up a murder.

Naval combat deckbuilder whose name is a pun I only just got.

Strategy-RPG where you're captain of a skyship.

dungeon crawler—yuck
pixel art soulslike—yuck
also a soulslike—yuck
Fantasy retro FPS—yuck
2D platformer—yuck
platformer with permadeath—yuck
Co-op hack-and-slasher—yuck
scavenge-em-up extraction shooter—yuck

Great choices Jody, thanks a lot ;)
Speaking of "Yuck", you won't probably like these either, but these are the ones I have tried so far:

A Satisfactory-like. I'd have already bought it if it were for sale. Had a blast in the demo. Is different enough from Satisfactory to definitely be its own thing. (Someone in the forums asked why we needed a new Satisfactory. Why do we need 1000 FPS's? Why do we need 200 Battle Royales? If we can have all of those, then we can have few Satisfactory-likes, I think)

Demo was a bit frustrating. I finally figured it out, but it sure didn't help you much. Just made one guitar and quit, but I can see how this would be fun as a management sim where you are trying to grow your business.

I have the Manor Lord demo on my to do list for today. It looked a little complicated for me last night, so I did this one instead, where you are building a little village for adventurers. Was pretty fun.

I'm not completely sure what the hotel management part is going to be like, but the interior decorating is very robust. I may redo this demo because I love designing rooms. Not sure I'd want to do this 100 times in the full game though.

A rally game made by a sole dev. This is a pretty remarkable accomplishment. Even has an extensive car upgrade system. Ran one series of 6 races and had a good time. My only complaint is that the demo has you using a Class D vehicle, so it's really difficult to know how the faster cars are going to handle. Put it on my wishlist.

Going to play a bunch more today including Manor Lord and Forever Skies.

you won't probably like these either
2 of the 5 are downloading—A Hero's rest and Techtonica—they look interesting. Thank you :)

Noirish psychological thriller point-and-click—oh yeah, gimme
Tried Loretta, neutral about the ~10 minutes I got to play, but some keypress caused the game to reduce from fullscreen to ~half screen, with no apparent way to get it back to max—all the control icons like Settings etc were gone.

Main problem with that was the mouse control was lost. Moving to where I thought was middle of the screen would result in mouse pointer suddenly appearing off the right side—ie on desktop instead of in game—and game would minimize to Taskbar. Didn't try hard to fix it, figured it was broken at that stage. May investigate a bit more after playing other demos.

Someone (wife) distracted me most of the day with busywork, but I got to play a few minutes of Manor Lord. I guess you have different places you can start, but I started at the beginning where you start building your town. I don't usually like these sorts of games, but I was in a chill mood and just watching the little guys building stuff was relaxing. Maybe playing Tavern Master opened me up to it a little. But then I had to quit and there's no save feature in the demo. I may see if I can actually start at one of the other starting points tomorrow.

I'm a bit short on time at the moment, so not trying to figure these out if not obvious—so far:

A Hero's Rest
Had to quit tutorial to turn down music, so probably missed some info.
'Finish Building an Inkeeper' was first mission—no idea where to go, what to do.
Confusing, maybe my own fault.

AHOD
Not interested.

Airship Kingdoms
Not interested, but looks quite polished—give it a go if it's your thing.

Aquatico
Looks great, great UI if it works.
Couldn't figure how to start in tutorial, which is tut's fault.

Flateye
Not interested.

Spent a lot of time in this this morning. Very polished game. It's a survival game with an interesting idea or three. You have an air ship and you are traveling through this disaster of a planet, stopping off at the tops of crumbling building to explore There's a cure for a virus somewhere/somehow on this planet

The game ran poorly when I first started it up, but it supports DLSS, which worked beautifully and got the game to acceptable framerates. My biggest complaint is that the Field of View is claustrophobic. Hopefully they will add a slider for that. Another complaint, but not as big, is that hunger and thirst are too hectic and need to be reeled in a little. You are basically in constant need of food and water

Other than that, it was quite fun and well done, but it's not a very pleasant experience. The general atmosphere of this ruined planet is very oppressive.

Edit: Developer just said they are going to update the demo today to better optimize it and do something about the FOV.

Last edited:
More quick looks:

Floodland
Not my thing, but looks good and plays well early on.

Season: A Letter to the Future
Doesn't work with mouse & keyboard, only controller—finished game will have KB/M control.

Storyteller
Unique, simple, fun puzzles for a while—not for me, but give it a look.

Techtonica
Not my thing

The Entropy Center
Now we're suckin' diesel! Big Portal echoes, and likely to get kinda crazy later—wishlisted.

So far, 2 for me: Manor Lords and The Entropy Center.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Tried these demos today:

Aquatico (linked above): I don't know what to say about this. It's the same as all the others except under water.

!

Total Conflict: Resistance Demo: It's basically a poor man's (a really really poor man's) Total War The strategy portion is highlighted by a hideous map and little to nothing to do in the demo.

As far as battles, this is the twist The game becomes an FPS if you don't auto resolve. It's a very realistic shooter, but not particularly well done in the demo. I couldn't tell which of my guys were shooting or what they were shooting at. I couldn't see any enemies at all, partially because they were so far away and my gun didn't have a scope on it. After waiting forever while the AI shot at each other from great distances, I decided to Alvin York them and strike off on my own to try to flank the enemy. And that's when the battle ended.

The game is an interesting idea, but its execution is just not good... Maybe it was too soon for them to release a demo. Dunno.

You play as Q-Bert and a gigantic cylinder is rolling across the landscape. Your job is to run way. I didn't get very far before I was squashed by the cylinder and the game started over. No thanks. I was actually supposed to stop the cylinder right before I died. No idea what happens if you do that. It was just apparent that it wasn't my kind of game, so I quit.

The Entropy Center (linked above). I did the first 4 or 5 puzzles, and they were all exactly the same. I think I saw enough to give the game a chance at launch. The writing was pretty meh, but I can see the puzzles getting pretty good as you advance through the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
This demo here is the first chapter of the game What never was...
I played the demo a while ago and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a single person developer so there's no game yet, but he announced that the second chapter might come out soon. I definitely recommend to try this one out, it is exceptionally well done for the work of one alone. :)

it is exceptionally well done for the work of one alone
I agree, very attractive and very smooth.
krM0Ykz.png

Look what I can do when there's only 1 chapter! :D

Looks like he‘s been part of some big projects so far
Oh yeah, level designer for The Division and Rage 2 are biggies indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts