Demos—post game demos here

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
Trail of Ayash has a demo now

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
There's no way to keep up with all the demos these days, but here are a bunch since the last time I posted:

Sports/Racing/Vehicle

Mayhem via top-down, armored vehicles--multiplayer

Another top-down vehicle game, this time involving drifting--solo and PvP

Someone came out with a Wii VR game that doesn't use the Wii or VR. Apparently it's for exercise (yuck)--solo and PvP

RPG/Adventure/Puzzle/Platformer
High quality graphics in this fantasy/adventure/puzzler--solo

It looks cute. Not sure about that combat, though--solo

Platinum Games. Didn't review particularly well--solo or co-op

Looks like hand-drawn graphics and maybe some light platforming to go along with your adventure puzzling--solo

Top-down, beat-em-up with a story. They pretty much used every category tag, so I have no idea what this actually is--solo

2D side-scroller with platforming and RPG elements--solo

Looks pretty good for an RPGMaker game--solo

Horror
Sounds and looks promising. 3rd person horror--solo

Probably standard hobbyist horror, which would make it confusing with heart-stopping jumpscares--SP

Shooter
High speed action FPS. Actually looks pretty interesting--SP

Tactical FPS. Description is a little vague. Probably mostly PvP right now--solo, co-op, PvP

Sounds good, but there are a lot of red flags in the trailer. The perspective is off and it's running at about 10 FPS. I probably shouldn't have listed it--SP or Co-op

High speed action FPS--solo

Strategy/Simulation
Make monstrosities in your lab--solo

Looks like my kind of sim--solo

Looks almost like a horror game to me. Run your own convenient store by yourself--SP

Lifestyle
You know, meeting the town-folk, falling in love and farming

Other
Realistic looking tower defense game.--solo

Civ-like 1-hour pre-release game.

I like the look of it, gone on wishlist.

Civ-like 1-hour pre-release game.

I like the look of it, gone on wishlist.
Looks like a streamlined version of Civ with cards. I'm going to try it out.

I may buy Civ 4
Geez, still $30 for the complete for a 17yo game! Much cheaper on sale, obviously.

You should get the Beyond the Sword version, that's the 2nd expansion which capped it off. I see BtS is $10, but I don't know if it needs the base game also.
ETA: it does:
"Notice: Requires the Steam version of Civilization IV"

I play with the BUG/BULL/BAT mod, which has major QoL benefits without changing gameplay, and also use the Full of Resources map script which allows a lot of customization of the main map types.

Geez, still $30 for the complete for a 17yo game! Much cheaper on sale, obviously.

You should get the Beyond the Sword version, that's the 2nd expansion which capped it off. I see BtS is $10, but I don't know if it needs the base game also.
ETA: it does:
"Notice: Requires the Steam version of Civilization IV"

I play with the BUG/BULL/BAT mod, which has major QoL benefits without changing gameplay, and also use the Full of Resources map script which allows a lot of customization of the main map types.

I clicked on the complete package in Steam, and it looks like you "save" $25 buy buying the whole thing altogether, so I'll probably do it that way. After all these years, it should just have a $20 complete edition, but whatever....

Hmm, I seem to have forgotten about this thread, but I'm not in the mood for gaming today and am still too hobbled to do anything but sit in front of my computer, so here goes...

Because there are so many demos since the last time I posted, I did it a little differently and used only the "Popular" demos.

CLeM
There was no gameplay footage, so I really don't know what's going on here. The art style looks kind of like a hand drawn point & click game, but it isn't point & click apparently.

Whispers in the West
Four player western murder mystery game. Looks really interesting, but I think you actually need 4 players, which would be difficult for me to pull off.

Nirmita: The Fantasy Survival RPG
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1933730/Nirmita_The_Fantasy_Survival_RPG/
Seems like a combination of RPG, time management, Pokemon, and, well, it looks like maybe boobs play a part, but it doesn't seem to be an actual sex game with nudity and stuff or I wouldn't list it.

A.I.D. - Artificial Intelligence Defence
Kill the rest of the humans tower defense game. Twenty years from now, this will be considered more of a documentary than a game.

Kitten Burst
The most misleading and disappointing game on this list as there are actually no exploding kittens.

Let's Cook Together 2
Cooking co-op mayhem

Restaurant Simulator
I'm not linking this, but if you want to see something called "Restaurant Simulator" that is nothing but a bunch of horrible 3D models of girls in bikinis wandering around a simulated restaurant, you should look it up. And this is one of the most popular demos, apparently. I laughed.

Last Time I Saw You
A pretty looking narrative adventure that almost certainly includes a sacrificial death of your loved one in the end.

Hamster on Rails
A cute, diorama type puzzle game where you help hamsters build trains routes.

PLASMATIC
Great looking VR puzzle game

Twilight bride :VORMSLEGEND
Well-drawn 2D narrative mystery.

OZARK
This 3D, side-scrolling shooter for 1 or 2 players looks pretty cool.

Brinefall
Top down, RPG hack-n-slash with base building

Casebook 1899 - The Leipzig Murders
Point & Click mystery

Aztlan Uncovered
This third person adventure puzzle game (please, no commas) is my favorite from today's list.

Mark's Magnificent Marble Maze
Looks pretty good if you like marble mazes.

Pillars of Light
First person puzzler

Untamed Tactics
Tactical, party-based RPG with anthropomorphic creatures. Be the rabbit.

Townseek
2D relaxing exploration/trading game

Roboholic
Whacky FPS

Dorfs: Hammers for Hire
Not something I would play, but looks pretty neat.

Whisper Books
"Whisper Books is a visual novel game of plot quality signature"
Couldn't have said it better myself. I desperately want to read an entire visual novel written this way.

Ardenfall
First person, open world RPG, but I have my doubts..

Last edited:

Took this one from the article because ive played it and its a cool idea (if you like metal music): Doom meets the Rhythm Game Genre.

Brotato - A fun top-down shooter with waves after waves you have to kill. Play around with builds and see if you can survive until the last wave. It is a lot of fun. Perhaps something for the parents on this forums to challenge their kids in:)

Time to add some more demos. There's a VR festival going on on Steam, so most of the recent demos were for VR games. I'm not going to include them here, but if you have a VR headset, it might be worth it to go try some games out.

Joyride
I'm including this only as a warning not to waste your time, as the demo is completely broken and can't handle any sort of control inputs from either the keyboard or a controller. The game has a single user review complaining that the control inputs don't work, and the developer responded that the user's controller was broken.

This is all sad to me because I love the simple graphics and it looked like it could be a relaxing race game.

Survival: Fountain of Youth
Played this for awhile. Interesting design choices distracted me quite a bit. For instance, instead of running up to a tree and hitting it to extract the resources, you run up to the tree, select it, choose which resources you want, choose which tool you are going to use, and then select "Harvest".

The inventory system was quite confusing, and even though the game had hotbar functionality, there wasn't any way that I found to actually load out your hotbar or to see in the HUD what was in it.

It was a little too annoying to me for me to stick with it very long. Your mileage will very. I'm just extra turned-off by needless complexity.

I'll post some more shortly...

Nobody - The Turnaround
I really enjoyed this demo. Has a style similar to Disco Elysium, but the story is very simple. You are trying to pay off a debt while managing to get by. I worked day jobs on a construction site (you can automate that task if you don't want to actually do the job). It has an open world you can wander through and do things like searching through garbage or taking on the local hustlers. From my two playthroughs, it's probably going to be a difficult game to beat. The full game is supposed to release some time this year.

MythBusters: The First Experiment
If you were hoping to use your brain here, you'll be disappointed in this demo from Movie Games and Playway. You have no freedom to design experiments. You simply follow the instructions and play mini-games to complete different steps. If you are a fan of mini-games and simple puzzles, this might be for you, but it could have been so much more....

There's a free demo of Hard West available on Steam, but only for 3 days apparently:

The game itself is on sale for 90% off ($1.99), and it looks like a decent CRPG in a western setting, similar to the newer Weird West, but has turn-based combat. But recent Steam reviews are mostly mixed, and there's a lot of complaints about the combat which is never a good sign. I've wish-listed it, but I doubt I'll have time to actually play the demo.

There's a free demo of Hard West available on Steam, but only for 3 days apparently:

The game itself is on sale for 90% off ($1.99), and it looks like a decent CRPG in a western setting, similar to the newer Weird West, but has turn-based combat. But recent Steam reviews are mostly mixed, and there's a lot of complaints about the combat which is never a good sign. I've wish-listed it, but I doubt I'll have time to actually play the demo.
I seem to remember that a lot of people were expecting it to be Wild West XCOM and were pretty disappointed that it was more narrative focused and that the combat was quite different

But that should have just been the first wave of reviews. People probably have figured out what they are buying now, and apparently a decent number of them still don't like it. For free, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

So as it turns out, my nephew has Hard West and we are on that family share thing, which I had never actually used until today. So I played for maybe 45 minutes. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. The combat is very much like XCOM but with some specials you can use, but no overwatch. The very beginning of the story was interesting, I thought (I'm not a western fan, so if the storyline is nothing but clichés from standard western movies, I wouldn't know), and you didn't spend all your time in combat missions. You ran around and did other things, which consisted of reading a bit of text and choosing an option, as you do. There was a store you could visit, as well, that had a limited selection of guns, healing herbs, etc..

The reason I won't be playing anymore, though, is that it saves with a checkpoint system. You do have the option to go back to the last checkpoint, but who knows where that is? Bottom line is that I'm not going to play an XCOM-like game that relies heavily on RNG without being able to scum save.

The reason I won't be playing anymore, though, is that it saves with a checkpoint system.
Thanks! You just saved me from wasting $2, as I absolutely can't stand check point saves, as I tend to save scum as well. I've been getting into turn-based tactical combat lately with the Wasteland games, and though it looked interesting with it's Western theme and your character coming back from the dead after making a deal with the devil. Reminded me of an old movie I saw years ago with Danny Trejo coming back from death after making a deal with the devil and kicking ass (can't remember the movie's name though).

TRENDING THREADS