Demos—post game demos here

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Moons Of Darsalon Demo

Retro arcade 2D puzzle platformer with 92% rating.
I truly have no idea why I have this demo, as all 5 of those attributes are negatives for me.

Note to brain: We need to have a little chat.

ETA: this doesn't like Mouse & KB.

Jwq2Ll8.png

• Haha
Reactions: Frindis
Don't get it on GOG, for some strange reason the devs seem to have abandoned it there, the extras are only on Steam o_O
Thanks. Going to try this. I'm a little concerned about GoG. The House Flipper devs have recently abandoned it as well, and they don't seem to be the sort to do that without a really good reason. Some of the hardest working devs I know.

A few very recently released demos:

Old World

Played about an hour of this 4X demo, a couple of tutorial missions. Many say it's like if Civ and Crusader Kings had a baby, which seems a reasonable summary at first glance. Lead designer worked on Civ3 and was lead on Civ4, and since produced Offworld Trading Company, so no surprise OW is a quality product… albeit with a somewhat unfortunate acronym :rolleyes:

Map is hex based, with 1UPT rule—that's one unit per tile, altho looks like you can stack a civilian with a military unit. Looks great, lovely artwork, and Christopher Tin did the music—so again, no surprise the soundtrack was nominated for a Grammy… USA's biggest music award.

OW spans only a few centuries in the Ancient and Classical eras, and leaders die and are succeeded by their heirs. Family dynamics and alliances are an important strategic layer, and religion seems to have a big role too.

2 main different mechanics I noticed:

Orders
In Civ, every turn each unit can make a move or take an action. In OW, you have a bank of actions each turn called Orders—say you have 10 orders for this turn. One unit can use them all up, 2 units could do 7+3, 10 units 1 each, etc—which makes for a nice freedom of choices each turn, should be tactically interesting.

Fixed City Sites
Civ has the decision of settling on turn 1, or moving to what might be a better location. OW has specific tiles where you must build your cities—in the demo, each one apart from first had a Barbarian camp on it—so you had to train a Warrior and send him to capture the location, and then send a Settler there to found another city. This should avoid the early indecision, and the frustration of settling on an important resource like Iron.

I like it, definite future purchase.

Cool looking city builder with a PCG article.

Old World

Played about an hour of this 4X demo, a couple of tutorial missions. Many say it's like if Civ and Crusader Kings had a baby, which seems a reasonable summary at first glance. Lead designer worked on Civ3 and was lead on Civ4, and since produced Offworld Trading Company, so no surprise OW is a quality product… albeit with a somewhat unfortunate acronym :rolleyes:

Map is hex based, with 1UPT rule—that's one unit per tile, altho looks like you can stack a civilian with a military unit. Looks great, lovely artwork, and Christopher Tin did the music—so again, no surprise the soundtrack was nominated for a Grammy… USA's biggest music award.

OW spans only a few centuries in the Ancient and Classical eras, and leaders die and are succeeded by their heirs. Family dynamics and alliances are an important strategic layer, and religion seems to have a big role too.

2 main different mechanics I noticed:

Orders
In Civ, every turn each unit can make a move or take an action. In OW, you have a bank of actions each turn called Orders—say you have 10 orders for this turn. One unit can use them all up, 2 units could do 7+3, 10 units 1 each, etc—which makes for a nice freedom of choices each turn, should be tactically interesting.

Fixed City Sites
Civ has the decision of settling on turn 1, or moving to what might be a better location. OW has specific tiles where you must build your cities—in the demo, each one apart from first had a Barbarian camp on it—so you had to train a Warrior and send him to capture the location, and then send a Settler there to found another city. This should avoid the early indecision, and the frustration of settling on an important resource like Iron.

I like it, definite future purchase.

I really like the idea of limited orders. I find that the empire management in late game Civ always a huge chore because there are so many units to move.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Words Can Kill

I love good word games, so had to try this. Not for me, there's RPG in it so it got boring very quickly. It's a simple side-scroller and its functionality seems great—I didn't meet any bug.

The essence is you get a rack of letters and use them to battle with opponents. You put your letters into 2 tactical boards, attack and defense. Letters have point values, and your opponents have so many health points—so you whack away by creating words from your letters until you kill the opponent.

This will take several rounds, and the opponent usually gets to whack you in between your turns—which is where your defense 'board' helps out. You get a piece of gear every time you defeat an opponent, like new weapon or armor or helpful power.

It's really a RPG game rather than a word game, so if masochism is your thing, give it a look.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Game is launching today. Despite the wonky English, the demo is well done. My major complaint is that the artefacts from the wrecks are all highlighted in glowing green, which really kills the fun of searching for them.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Hah, funny—just read an article a few days ago about world's shipwrecks!

"The online service wreck site has a catalogue of 209,640 boats known to have sunk, 179,110 of which have a known location. The Global Maritime Wrecks Database (GMWD), on the other hand, contains the records of more than 250,000 sunken vessels, though some of these still haven't been found."
Apparently the actual game that goes with that shipwreck demo is a mess. It's got "mostly negative" reviews. Could have been a niche hit, but they really messed up.

It's a souls-like.

I posted this demo just to make that joke. You're welcome.

It's a souls-like.

I posted this demo just to make that joke. You're welcome.
Did you mean soles-like?

I find this game absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I found the controls and camera to be unusable. I knew it was trouble when the steam page said that the game "requires novel controls." Guess what? It doesn't, and the novel controls are terrible.

Jul 19, 2023
Visit site
Hey everyone!

It's been such a treat seeing all the amazing game demos you've shared here in the forum. I'm truly grateful for all the inspiration and learning opportunities you've provided, and now I'm excited to introduce you to a project my team and I have been pouring our hearts into. We've also submitted our game to the Steam platform, so you'll soon be able to enjoy it there as well!

I'm Johnson, a game developer, and my talented teammates and I have crafted a one-of-a-kind multiplayer online game that merges adrenaline-pumping battles with chill farming experiences. We're super stoked to share that our very first demo has just landed on Itch, and we'd be over the moon if you'd join us and take it for a spin.

Simply head to Itch, search for "Lumiterra", and you'll be able to download and dive straight into the action.

Curious about what Lumiterra entails? Here's the scoop:
Lumiterra is a multiplayer, open-world survival crafting game where you can ⚔️fight ferocious monsters, 👩‍🌾team up with friends for laid-back farming sessions🧑‍🤝‍🧑, or delve into a vast world🗺️ teeming with enigmatic creatures!

Game Features
- Multiplayer: Go solo or have a blast with your friends!
- Battle: Conquer foes using a variety of weapons and skills across an expansive world.
- Farming: Cultivate crops and care for monsters on your very own farm.
- Collecting: Scour the world's regions to gather grass, wood, rock, and more.
- Crafting: Harness resources from battles, farming, and collecting to create weapons, equipment, totems, potions, and more.

Here's our dazzling game trailer
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM4lQXccTxM&ab_channel=Lumiterra

Happy gaming!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts