Demos—post game demos here

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
@Frag Maniac @ZedClampet I watched 5m of this on one of my YTers and it looks different and interesting.

Reactions: ZedClampet
@Frag Maniac @ZedClampet I watched 5m of this on one of my YTers and it looks different and interesting.

Thanks. That looks fun except for the permadeath. I'm going to download the demo and try it out, but I'm too impatient, generally speaking, to start over from the beginning when I die. I really wish devs would make that optional.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Thanks. That looks fun except for the permadeath. I'm going to download the demo and try it out, but I'm too impatient, generally speaking, to start over from the beginning when I die. I really wish devs would make that optional.
I don't like permadeath either, but I also don't like top down view games and side scrollers, and that looks like an odd combination of the two.

Sorry Brian, not all race games are my cup of tea. ;)

This RTS isn't my cup of tea, but if you like the War/StarCraft style of play, this demo is worth a look:

Last edited:
@Zloth & X-Com aficionados, the X word was mentioned in a couple of Steam reviews for this one:

Looks well done for the ~15 minutes I spent in the actual game—must be one I bought and forgot, or got in a bundle.

Had a quick 15-minute run thru this demo, without much clue what I should be doing—I guess some things never change, huh?
Instructions are sparse, but looks nicely made.

Full release planned for Mar 9, 2023. This is a sequel to the original game which has 94% rating on Steam. Quirky, should appeal if you like Papers, Please & similar.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Did someone try Dark and Darker? The game is already a Twitch hit and only a demo was released for now. Basically it's a combination of Skyrim, Clank! board game and... I don't know... Battle royal genre? I still have to try it myself, but it looks great on streams. It's basically a co-op game, so people who prefer to play alone will have a hard time.

Did someone try Dark and Darker?
Not my type of game, but I might try it when Guido gets out of bed.

Here are some game demos I tried this morning.

A fairly simple trading game. You are a merchant and you travel from town to town trying to buy low in one place and sell high in another. You also have to decide whether to bring along guards, which are expensive. There are quite a few events that you run into on the road which give you more things to decide.

I actually couldn't get selling to work. I could make a huge profit in a couple of towns, but the slider to determine how much I wanted to sell wouldn't budge. I only managed to sell one thing the entire time I played. I left a message on the forum to find out if I was doing something wrong or if it's a bug. If someone gets back to me, I'll update this. Could be a fun little game.

Third person RPG with a lot of narrative and a choices matter feeling to it. You begin, as always, by creating your character. After selecting your character's looks and name, you choose your base skills, like archery, alchemy, etc.

Even though the perspective is practically over-the-shoulder, you have to click on the ground to move, which I don't particularly like. It felt a bit clunky. I only played the beginning where you have to settle an argument among a group of lords who are visiting your home. It was pretty well done. I didn't do any combat, so I'm not sure how that goes. Looks like action combat from the trailer.

Third person isometric survival game where I was the last hope for humanity to cure the plague until I was eaten by a bear. So long humanity.

Game is well done, but I'm not sure what I was supposed to do about the bear at that point in the game. I couldn't outrun him, and the only weapon I had was the starter axe, which was basically useless. After I died, it asked me if I wanted to load the last save. The game saves constantly, so there's a very good chance I was going to be in the middle of being chased by a bear, but I didn't load the save. I was tired of looking for "Long Sticks" anyway. Seems like you should be able to craft Long Sticks from branches, but that only gives you normal sticks, which is why I was wandering around and found the bear.

To be honest, I was more like a caveman than a plague researcher. I'm sure there's someone else out there who can handle the plague now that I've moved on to the afterlife.

Downloading some more demos now....

You fix up your car and travel along "the road number 66" per the machine translation you get when you first open the game.

I was putting parts in my car to get ready to go when I accidentally bumped into the car and knocked it sideways. I must weigh thousands of pounds. That made it hard to get out of the garage, and I got stuck on a bush and had to reload my save.

Finally I was off on my journey on the road number 66. As you drive, parts of your car fail and it says you can either find new parts, trade with fencers, or steal what you need. So apparently Pep Boys isn't an option.

I went to the first stop, which was a gas station, and I bought some food, and the manager told me that if I would deliver a package he would pay me well, so I put the package in my trunk and was off again.

Right before I made it to the delivery point, a belt broke. Conveniently, I was near some abandoned houses. I didn't pull off the road because I was afraid of getting stuck on a bush, so I just hopped out of the car and went to the first house and found a belt (imagine that) and went back to my car where I found a Ubisoft style traffic jam with cars slamming into each other trying to get around my car. I replaced my belt, but couldn't get into my car because another car was running into my door. I tried bumping into it to knock it out of the way, but it was kind of wedged in by other cars also trying to slam their way through. I decided I had played enough.

The rest of the demos should be ashamed. This is what a professionally made game looks and plays like. The hand drawn art is fantastic. It is sort of a 2.5D side scrolling adventure game involving time loops, which is not really my thing, tbh. Here's a tip pop-up at the beginning that kind of explains how the game works:

tips.jpg

Some games I mentioned in a "coming soon RPGs" thread now have demos

Reactions: Brian Boru

Homeworld-inspired indie space RTS with a turn-based 4X strategy layer. Here's a nice 6m video about it.

Ozymandias - Bronze Age Empire Sim DEMO

If you want a shorter simpler Civ, give this a shot. It's not a full 4X in that there's no exploration—full map is visible from start. But that's the point—you should be able to complete a game in an hour or so once you figure it out.

Don't get it on GOG, for some strange reason the devs seem to have abandoned it there, the extras are only on Steam o_O

It's a bit bland for me, especially when I still have so much Civ6 to play—and my next 4X is going to be Old World.

Unmechanical Demo

Not sure why I grabbed this, it's a puzzle game, which is a genre I've gone off. A 2012 release with 91% rating.

Install fiddled with .NET and DirectX installations, and then a mercifully short 'Look at me, Mom' intro—install maybe a minute, intro 30+ seconds.

I couldn't figure what to do on the opening scene. No mouse movement, and WASD didn't get me anywhere useful that I could see. Still, 91% rating, so have a look if puzzle is your thing.

TRENDING THREADS