Demos—post game demos here

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Haven't played this, but it looks good to me. There are four other games in this series, and I believe they all have demos.

I was expecting it to bring in formatting and blurbs like Steam does
@CParsons Hey Chris, is this a forum or Epic thing? "unfurl" is set to 'true'. Epic sometimes shows blurbs in the free games thread, sometimes doesn't.

Epic uses a different product page for the demo, whereas Steam doesn't—ie the demo is available from the main product page.

Testing with Vivaldi browser:

Epic demo

Epic main page

Steam page

ETA @CParsons When I posted above, the 2 Epic links displayed a "loading…" text for a second or two before providing just the links. So maybe there's something in forum settings which chokes Epic's way of doing things :unsure:

CParsons

Staff member
@CParsons Hey Chris, is this a forum or Epic thing? "unfurl" is set to 'true'. Epic sometimes shows blurbs in the free games thread, sometimes doesn't.

Epic uses a different product page for the demo, whereas Steam doesn't—ie the demo is available from the main product page.

Testing with Vivaldi browser:

Epic demo

Epic main page

Steam page

ETA @CParsons When I posted above, the 2 Epic links displayed a "loading…" text for a second or two before providing just the links. So maybe there's something in forum settings which chokes Epic's way of doing things :unsure:
Epic uses an age gate. The forums won't show that page because it offers no real preview. They're doing something else odd too though, you can see it in action here. Test a Steam page and then an Epic page, the Steam page will work and the Epic will likely fail, so not sure I can fix it here since it's not entirely an us thing.

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 12.20.31 PM.png

Test a Steam page and then an Epic page, the Steam page will work and the Epic will likely fail

Same 2 Crying Suns pages as post #159. Steam works, Epic gives:

5Ztsx6p.png

So Epic is sending something different out. Thanks for checking Chris, hope you had a nice holiday ;)

Haven't tried this yet, but the people on Steam forums love the demo. I've even seen it called "the new Portal". The trailers look great. Remarkably it's made by a "tiny team" or possibly even just one guy (I looked but couldn't find clarification).

There is also a free prequel that is coming some time in October.

Three colony sim/city builder demos mentioned in the PCG article that I linked to in the other thread:

I'm going to get around to trying Pioneers and Laysara (I can't do the graphics in Dotage) sometime in the next 24 hours. If I notice anything important, I'll update this post.

I didn't see this posted before. The first one was one of my all-time favorite games. I did maybe 8 or 9 puzzles in the demo, but whether I want this sequel was never in question, so I quit the demo to avoid spoilers (although the demo does say at the beginning that it has been changed from the full game to avoid spoilers).

Is this another Patient Gamer game @Brian Boru or do you sometimes make exceptions? Can you be Bold and Decisive Gamer instead?

Hah, the 20GB demo download is why 'Reply' with quote didn't work! Oh well, you can wait… :D

Can you be Bold and Decisive Gamer instead?

You realize you're asking me to become a BAD Gamer—get thee behind me Santa, that's your province!

Is this another Patient Gamer game

I've mostly gone off puzzle games in the past year or so—eg got bored with The Witness after~½ hour. But I like what the blurb about TTP2 says…
"Finish the game without solving every puzzle"
…which should mean we won't be held hostage by a stumbling block.

Oh dear, my 1060 is well behind the recommended 3070—but above minimum 970, so maybe the demo will play.

Tempting—TTP1 is my #1 puzzle game of all, but yeah, another patient game. Why on earth would I want it now, if I want some Talos action I can replay 1 and Gehenna since I've forgotten all the details? TTP2 will be just as good in 2025 as it will be this year :)

Okay, downloaded, time to explore…

Reactions: ZedClampet
Currently Steam is holding another Next Fest showcasing thousands of different games and their demos. Most of these game demos are very early versions, so they are usually unpolished. I’ve checked out a couple so far, here are my initial thoughts.

SENTRY - Sentry is a FPS wave based defense game. It feels a bit like tower defense, but instead of a set path, you are on a randomly generated spaceship level where you must place traps and defenses to help you take out the waves of enemies that are about to come. The shooting feels great and there is a nice variety of traps and weapons you can use. The enemy types have nice variations and unique abilities, but I haven’t played too much so I am not sure how many more enemies there are. It was a pretty fun experience, although maybe not exactly what I want to play. Could be more fun in coop.

GANGS OF SHERWOOD - This is a third person, co-op action game based on the world of the Robin Hood books. You play as one of four mercenaries who steal from the rich and give to the poor. The setting, graphics and story are all pretty interested for a co-op action game. However, the same can’t be said for the gameplay. It is pretty generic, just mash buttons to hit enemies, occasionally hit a different button to do a different move. The animations and effects are nice, but from what I have played, there isn’t much strategy involved. I was easily able to mow through the first level just mashing left and right click. This feels like a definitive Game Pass title, but instead it is being sold for $40. I think it could be a big hit on GP if it had cross-play multiplayer as a fun dumb action game to play with friends. The store and customization features seem interesting but I did not get that far.

This demo is my 2023 Game of the Year.

I'm only barely kidding. I absolutely love it. Game is supposed to release into early access some time this year. I will immediately forget every other game I own and play this for hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours. Finally a new, great survival game. There hasn't been one since V-Rising in May of 2022.

Reactions: Brian Boru

This demo is my 2023 Game of the Year.

I'm only barely kidding. I absolutely love it. Game is supposed to release into early access some time this year. I will immediately forget every other game I own and play this for hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours. Finally a new, great survival game. There hasn't been one since V-Rising in May of 2022.

I have this one wishlisted from when I saw the trailer. I should give the demo a try.

• Love
Reactions: ZedClampet
The demo just straight up told me my graphics card sucked too much and refused to start. It was just a Windows error message too, so I couldn't even see the main menu screen or anything else.
I saw a developer talking about this. They weren't able to optimize the game for older GPU's before releasing the demo for the NEXT Fest. They apologized and said that they were still working on it, and it would definitely be done before release. Apparently there are some NVIDIA things that they put in the game that require a lot of work to make them compatible with older cards.

Generally speaking, they still have most of the optimization left to do. I was getting 45 FPS at a reduced resolution (1080p).

I saw a developer talking about this. They weren't able to optimize the game for older GPU's before releasing the demo for the NEXT Fest. They apologized and said that they were still working on it, and it would definitely be done before release. Apparently there are some NVIDIA things that they put in the game that require a lot of work to make them compatible with older cards.

Generally speaking, they still have most of the optimization left to do. I was getting 45 FPS at a reduced resolution (1080p).
I'm not very hopeful about being able to play the game on this machine regardless. I'm hoping we can buy a new one in about a year, maybe two.

I'm linking this to NOT recommend it and possibly save you some time. As of 10/13/23 this demo is so basic that it's not worth your time. You place a few buildings down, wait 15 minutes of real time while your workers build what you placed (there's no way to speed up time), and then watch for a few minutes as some low poly character dances on the stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts