Consider upgrading my old PC, need some suggestion, lot of change

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi during this pandemic I was think about upgrading my old PC from WIN 7 to WIN 10. Since I wanted to install WIN10, I wanted to do a clean install, then I decided to upgrade CPU too, then I found I had to upgrade mother board, then it's all a mess since I never try to reinstall a system or replace units that require to reinstall system... Good thing is everything is still on draft, and I need some tips & suggestions

This is my old PC from 2014:
Mother board: ASUS z97 Pro (WI-FI AC)
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x2 (16GB total)
Hard Drive: Intel SSDSC2BP240G4 (240GB), Seagate ST3500620AS (500GB, half broken need replaced soon), Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0(1TB)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti(11GB / EVGA)
Power Unit: EVGA Supernova 750 G1 (750W)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Tower Case

Goal is to replace CPU & Mother board & Install Win 10(maybe hire some guy) in next few months, during pandemic/right after vaccine . My GTX 1080 TI is new and I don't want to replace it yet.
Budget is around $1000.
I don't care about power saving, but I'm used to Intel CPU so I prefer Intel CPU. I never done overclock but maybe I might try it later.
I don't do 4k gaming since my old monitor is a dell with 1440x900 resolution (It works 12 years still good as new), but I will replace it later (not in that $1000 budget).

PS: I can't play cyberpunk so far, it always crashed on / after character building...

Goal is to replace CPU & Mother board
Do you have any larger goal, ie what do you hope to achieve by replacing those two?

If you're keeping the 1080, then my advice is not to upgrade the others. You always want to balance the main components—Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, System disk. If you're playing games like Cyberpunk, then GPU is the biggie I imagine.

I can't play cyberpunk so far, it always crashed
Is this on Win7?
Do you have DX12?

Win10 is recommended, DX12 is required on both Win7 and 10.

Is CP installed on your good HD or your SSD? It really needs SSD.
If on SSD, how much free space is left on the drive? Too little might be a problem—don't know.

Turn off every other app Windows doesn't need before launching CP—with an old system, you need to make all available resources available to the game.

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Do you have any larger goal, ie what do you hope to achieve by replacing those two?

If you're keeping the 1080, then my advice is not to upgrade the others. You always want to balance the main components—Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, System disk. If you're playing games like Cyberpunk, then GPU is the biggie I imagine.

Is this on Win7?
Do you have DX12?

Win10 is recommended, DX12 is required on both Win7 and 10.

Is CP installed on your good HD or your SSD? It really needs SSD.
If on SSD, how much free space is left on the drive? Too little might be a problem—don't know.

Turn off every other app Windows doesn't need before launching CP—with an old system, you need to make all available resources available to the game.
I want to get a better foundation for future upgrade in next couple of years. I want to avoid system reinstall all I can but since I have to do clean install win 10 then this system install is inevitable, and I hope this will be my only system install in next 5 years. My PC came with gtx 770 and I used it for 5 years and switched to gtx 1080 ti earlier this year, I need a better foundation for future RTX I will purchase.

My PC is win 7, and I'm not sure if I had DX12, since usually steam games install required component at first run. I installed Cyberpunk on my good 1TB HDD, remain space is 94GB. SSD is my system drive, around 24GB space left then I do a disk clean now still have 45GB left.

Quick question: I have set virtual memory 24487mb, is it in 45GB space remaining or 178GB space already taken?

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
I want to get a better foundation for future upgrade in next couple of years. I want to avoid system reinstall all I can but since I have to do clean install win 10 then this system install is inevitable, and I hope this will be my only system install in next 5 years. My PC came with gtx 770 and I used it for 5 years and switched to gtx 1080 ti earlier this year, I need a better foundation for future RTX I will purchase.

My PC is win 7, and I'm not sure if I had DX12, since usually steam games install required component at first run. I installed Cyberpunk on my good 1TB HDD, remain space is 94GB. SSD is my system drive, around 24GB space left then I do a disk clean now still have 45GB left.

Quick question: I have set virtual memory 24487mb, is it in 45GB space remaining or 178GB space already taken?

Wait a moment, does your chip have integrated graphics? ive only ever seen virtual memory as being "the amount of system ram being used by a processor with integrated graphics".

im sort of thinking that you need alot of work to do on this system. The issues im seeing, im not the great guru of PCs now. however.....

Is a HDD actually FAST enough to use for a game like Cyper Punk 2077 that i think is MEANT to be used on NVME drives?

If your mother board is from a factory prebuilt system.... you may not be able to use it with anything modern in the processor sector. I have a factory prebuilt thats about 5 years old, as when it was discontinued by the maker, they stopped offering any and all bios updates for it.

The budget budget level prebuilds from HP are using that 1080i. THeir "gaming" systems are using a 1650. Ibuypower is using standard 1660 for their desktop systems.

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Wait a moment, does your chip have integrated graphics? ive only ever seen virtual memory as being "the amount of system ram being used by a processor with integrated graphics".

im sort of thinking that you need alot of work to do on this system. The issues im seeing, im not the great guru of PCs now. however.....

Is a HDD actually FAST enough to use for a game like Cyper Punk 2077 that i think is MEANT to be used on NVME drives?

If your mother board is from a factory prebuilt system.... you may not be able to use it with anything modern in the processor sector. I have a factory prebuilt thats about 5 years old, as when it was discontinued by the maker, they stopped offering any and all bios updates for it.

The budget budget level prebuilds from HP are using that 1080i. THeir "gaming" systems are using a 1650. Ibuypower is using standard 1660 for their desktop systems.
That's why I want to replace my mother board, it's not a factory prebuild system but 4790k is the best it can mount, and 4790k bottleneck RTX.
There is no reason dev made a SSD only game which would only sink their sales, did you see any game can only be ran on SSD? I don't think so.
Virtual memory is a thing required by every computer, it won't go away, at least for current technology.

DDR3 memory, my hat is off to you. I remember using DDR3 a very long time ago, I think that you are NEVER going to get far unless you get a system that can use DDR4
Not sure if I can use DDR4 since I never checked, these two runs fine since Feb 2019.

You should be able to get a very nice combo of CPU/Ram/Board for around 500-600 dollars.

I bought an asus z490 prime for 150 dollars a few weeks back, it is a very solid board.

At this point in time i would probably just get something like this https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236454 Then add another 32 down the road, unless your playing games like Cities skylines with tons of mods or Gal civ III on the largest maps you are not going to need more than 32 ram any time soon.

Then just pick your chip, but with the new I11's coming in a couple months you might just wanna wait till they drop and see what happens.

Also, there are tons of vids on how to build a computer, watch a couple, everything is so easy these days. You just plug in wires ext, there are not to many. The hardest part is plugging in all the little case wires, like power on LED sound ext. But those are written right on the little plastic plugs, (LED, PWR, ect) Then you just find the spot on the board, almost always lower right corner and use a magnifying glass to read the bloody things! (or manual for order)

Watch a few vids, and then get to work, i have faith in you! If you have q's you can always just ask. I will also add, buy some velcro wire wraps. they are like 10 bucks for 50. They are so awesome to help you tame your wires and you can warp and rewrap them as much as you want. They work so well you will go around your house and fix loose wires everything. They are also perfect for those loose wires on kitchen appliances and even desk lamps. I don't know how i lived with out them for nearly 50 years.. They are pure gold!
Thx for the reply and suggestion, I checked the z490 prime, it's a nice solid direct upgrade which support Gen 10. I'm aware the new Intel Gen 11 coming out in 3 months, but one research pop out said z490 will support Gen 11, which means more demand than usual. Should I just grab the board now?

TRENDING THREADS