Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 10 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
Be sure to do the flight tutorial! I think there was one bit in there that wasn't too clear - how to get back in to a ship that's floating in space. Do a shift-D to request docking and simply follow the lights.

Egosoft games are the kind where you aren't expected to always do missions right away. You'll want to do the first few as they act as a tutorial but, if you hit something that seems too big for you, it's probably too big for you. Just let it sit on the to-do pile while you go get rich and/or explore and/or pick fights with aliens.

Hope you have fun!

Puffs on a Christmas cigar... Soooo, I noticed Assasin Creed: Origins goes for something like 5USD with the coupon discount on Epic Games. Pretty good steal, though I might wait to see if it will be in one of the 14 upcoming Christmas game gifts on Epic Games. It also depends on what you guys answer to my question: How good is it compared to Assasin Creed Odyssey (my favorite in the series next to Black Flag). Better story, characters, combat, environments, music, etc. If it is about the same when it comes to the overall quality, then I might just grab it now so I can enjoy it this weekend and of course some Witcher season 2:)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan
I'm new here, so this is the first time I've seen this thread. Wow, the title brings back memories. Is the Coconut Monkey from PC Gamer Magazine? I forgot all about that. Back in the 90s, I used to get the magazine, and it would come with a disc with some game demos, and I remember the Coconut Monkey being a part of the user interface for those demos. This thread brought back some good memories.

Welcome to the forums!:) Indeed, I chose the title as a little tribute to my favorite magazine with some of the best demo collections (and even full games) you could get at that time. I got a bunch of the oldies laying around with the Quake, System Shock 2, and Diablo2 editions being the crowning jewels. Pretty mint conditions also, I might add:)
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot all about the Coconut Monkey until I saw this today. You brought back some great memories!

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis

Zloth

Community Contributor
PC Gamer took one look at Geralt in a bathtub and suddenly forgot about Coconut Monkey. Very sad. One day, PC Gamer will realize that there are more important things in life than simple animal magnetism, and they will come crying back to Coconut Monkey. Clearly, you can't expect him to immediately welcome them back with open arms (because, well...), but maybe after some time?

Been playing Assassin's Creed: Origins for roughly 9 hours. So far I really like the game. I'm comparing it a lot to Odyssey (86 hours played) since that is the one I played recently. I'm more engaged in Bayek than I ever was with Kassandra. Kassandra was fine, but she always felt a bit shallow as this warrior type. While I don't know that much about Bayek yet, he just comes off as a developed character from the getgo with excellent voice acting, anger/sadness after losing his son, and the "blooming" relationship with Aya. The small sequences with his son, the stargazing, not to mention this episode in the dunes that I thought was both incredibly sad and amazing at the same time:
HqGZ25E.jpg

I like how the world is built. Big dunes, pyramids, cliffsides, architecture on buildings are very well done and already feel much more varied than with buildings/statues in Odyssey that often end up looking the same. The world seems to have more verticality and more traversability, not to mention how the civilians and the first city I visited Alexandria feel more interconnected. Civilians don't just gather up in small crowds doing nothing, they seem to have a life on their own, at least more prominent than in Odyssey.

Much more to explore and first impressions are first impressions, but I have a good feeling about this game so far.

How were your first hours in Origins?:)

Last edited:
Honestly very positive. Compared to the the older generations, its made some pretty good improvements. The Climbing system is definitely miles better to its predecessors as i can climb on pretty much anything/anywhere compared to the older games. Especially on mountains.

Combat has also had an overhaul as well. I prefer to describe it as a more dark souls take of dodging/rolling as opposed to the parrys and counters for instant take downs that made you an unstoppable fighter where numbers was not a factor and made combat that more impressive if a bit boring. A bit of a shame, as i liked that and it was also put to good use with Middle earth shadow of modor/war series. That said, we did get slightly more complex combat and enemies felt more varied as the higher the level the enemy the more decked out in impressive they would be.

The DLC wasn't bad as well. probably one of my highlights as it took things into a much more creative direction.

I like the climbing a lot, feels pretty smooth, just like it did in Odessey. I guess it was good in Black Flag also, but can't really remember as most of the gameplay was at sea, or at least that is what I did for the majority of my time with it.

I find myself dying more on normal mode in Origins than I ever did in Odessey on the hardest difficulty. Not gotten far in the talent tree, but the combat feels more like combat. I met my first Phylakes bounty hunter (LVL 20) as LVL 18 and definitely an enemy to respect. Took a little planning to take him down and here I feel the system shines more than in Odyssey where you are met with countless bounty hunters and they mostly go down pretty easily. I like the small fear you get when you hear that Phylakes alarm going off.

The Curse of The Pharaoh DLC looks interesting, will be trying that one out when I have finished the main story.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Thought I'd throw in that you can get Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on Epic Games for roughly 10,50USD. Heard a lot of good stuff about the game, but it did not look that interesting for me. Now that the price is that decent, I'm giving it a go.

The game is in my backlog. I'll play it in the upcoming months for sure. I heard however that the side activities are quite boring. Probably I'll stick to the main story and do only occasional side quests. Also it's worth a note that a sequel will be released soon and if I like the first game, it'll go on my wishlist for sure. :)

Thought I'd throw in that you can get Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on Epic Games for roughly 10,50USD. Heard a lot of good stuff about the game, but it did not look that interesting for me. Now that the price is that decent, I'm giving it a go.

I've got the game in my backlog atm. Not going to be playing it for a couple years though... From what i heard the game needs a couple more patches. hell, its still being patched the last one was back in jan 26th. But no idea how it plays though.

@Sarafan So far done two side quests from the starter area and definitely not memorable. An old lady wanted some meat and her amulet found and another person had a broken leg and wanted help with some stuff. Oh, and I needed to find a spear so he and her daughter had something to remember their mother by. Your typical generic crap. Might change when I get outside the starter zone, but so far I'm most interested in the robots, how they move, and how I can deal with them.

@Johnway I'm around three hours in, not seen any nastiness yet. Hopefully, it stays like that. Movement and combat in the starter area have been good. Just got my first special weapon that shoots an electric wire that you can use to temporarily shock the smaller robots, l love gadgets like that. Can't wait to meet the larger robots, find weak points and climb on them.

Here I'm still a small child, not knowing what lies ahead:
TOyY03W.jpg

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Side activities are a mixed bag. Finding all the old mugs seems really pointless. The metal flowers are a little more interesting - be sure to check the details on them - but I still don't bother most of the time. I like the vantage points just because I like climbing up to high things and they let you see the area as it was in ancient times, though the audio that goes with them seems useless. The Tallnecks are definitely fun, as are the cauldrons. The corrupted areas are a good challenge, too - especially because my go-to tactic of overriding bots to help me won't work there. Side quests are a mixed bag, as always.

@Frindis - I really liked the praying woman! The quest she puts you on is nothing special - I think they just want to make sure you know you're supposed to kill those little critters running around. The character is neat, though. On the one hand , she won't talk directly to you, which is rather insulting. On the other hand, her culture is pretty strongly forcing her not to talk to you. On the other... umm... foot, you're keeping this woman alive and going way out of your way to help her, isn't that worth some taboo? On the other foot, if she gets caught talking to you, the tribe will kick her out, and she would likely be dead before sun sets. On the... nose? She isn't breaking the letter of the law, but she's clearly breaking the spirit of the law, which is FAR better than everyone else is doing.... Yeah, I definitely like that character!

@Johnway - there are a bunch of people complaining in the Steam forums about the game being broken (e.g. can't start a game or load a save anymore). I'm not real sure about how many people are playing, though, so it's hard to judge if it's more than expected. All I know for sure is that it works great for me.

Side activities are a mixed bag. Finding all the old mugs seems really pointless. The metal flowers are a little more interesting - be sure to check the details on them - but I still don't bother most of the time. I like the vantage points just because I like climbing up to high things and they let you see the area as it was in ancient times, though the audio that goes with them seems useless. The Tallnecks are definitely fun, as are the cauldrons. The corrupted areas are a good challenge, too - especially because my go-to tactic of overriding bots to help me won't work there. Side quests are a mixed bag, as always.
Interestingly, I just did my first Tallneck and my first two Corruption Zones today. The first Corruption Zone with the grazers was much easier than I expected. Then the second one only had watchers. I'm sure they'll get harder later, but I was freaking out over nothing.

TRENDING THREADS