Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 8 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Hope you get your tax return @Pifanjr.

I was going to buy Cyberpunk because the bandwagon has been dragging me down the road behind it. Now I see how buggy reviewers are saying it is and I'm back to feeling like i'll wait for the GOY edition to get the best version of the game for less money.

It also seems pretty demanding, 40-50fps on 1440p@ High settings with a 2080/9900k according to PCG. Without raytracing or DLSS which I dont have anyway.

A lot of a game like this is about the eye candy for me, and my current setup is barely going to cut medium settings going by that measure.

Hope you get your tax return @Pifanjr.

I was going to buy Cyberpunk because the bandwagon has been dragging me down the road behind it. Now I see how buggy reviewers are saying it is and I'm back to feeling like i'll wait for the GOY edition to get the best version of the game for less money.

It also seems pretty demanding, 40-50fps on 1440p@ High settings with a 2080/9900k according to PCG. Without raytracing or DLSS which I dont have anyway.

A lot of a game like this is about the eye candy for me, and my current setup is barely going to cut medium settings going by that measure.

While I kinda miss being able to play the latest games, due to having limited time and funds, I am happy that when I do get around to playing a game it includes all of the patches and often all DLC as well.

So, despite playing a ton of Shadowlands, I've still been making an effort to work on my backlog to some degree. I started Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I'm about and hour and a half in and I'm not sure how I feel about it so far, honestly. Quite dated graphically (my standards have sharply risen on this front as of late) which doesn't do any favors for immersion. Haven't successfully connected to the world yet.

It brings up an interesting discussion for me, and I don't think there is really a correct answer. How long should I/we give games to pull us in? I'm not sure how much of a chance games really warrant. We live in a time where most of us have significant backlogs so there is less incentive to try really hard to get into any given game. In my case, I have some big games like RDR2 and Death Stranding in my backlog. I think it is hard to justify trying to get into a game for 5-10 hours. Further, I think the best games should organically capture you, anyways.

So, do you guys have any real criteria? How long to you try to get into a game before you consider it a lost cause?

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Depends on the game, but with Dragon's Dogma I tried for around 3 hours before calling it quits. I didn't mind graphics, but the "consolish" setup to everything was... just awful. From keybinds to UI, everything was so awfully designed for PC player that I just gave up.
Add to that the world that didn't do anything to me and felt empty, lackluster writing (in little piece I saw) and yeah, it was a lost cause.

In general I will try to give a game at least 2-3 sessions, even short ones before I call quits. Sometimes game is fine but not what I expected. Sometimes it's just not my genre and I was just trying it out anyway since I already got it somewhere. And sometimes I want but it's too much jank.
Dragon's Dogma is a good example: if I have to fight with controls all the damn time, game will lose me very fast.

So, despite playing a ton of Shadowlands, I've still been making an effort to work on my backlog to some degree. I started Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I'm about and hour and a half in and I'm not sure how I feel about it so far, honestly. Quite dated graphically (my standards have sharply risen on this front as of late) which doesn't do any favors for immersion. Haven't successfully connected to the world yet.

It brings up an interesting discussion for me, and I don't think there is really a correct answer. How long should I/we give games to pull us in? I'm not sure how much of a chance games really warrant. We live in a time where most of us have significant backlogs so there is less incentive to try really hard to get into any given game. In my case, I have some big games like RDR2 and Death Stranding in my backlog. I think it is hard to justify trying to get into a game for 5-10 hours. Further, I think the best games should organically capture you, anyways.

So, do you guys have any real criteria? How long to you try to get into a game before you consider it a lost cause?

I'll play any game until I get more excited about playing a different game. So it very much depends on my mood and if there is another game I would also like to play.

Yea I don't have any rules either. Looking at the dregs at the bottom of my library (the ones I actually started) it seems most things there I havent finished are between 1 and 5 hours. But a lot of those I will go back to later, sometimes its just the wrong time for a game.

I've been pondering Dragons Dogma on and off for a while actually, I had heard the combat system was interesting.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Depends. I couldn't get through the tutorial of FirePro Wrestling so that went out fast enough to get a refund. I held out in Pillars of Eternity 2 for just over 100 hours, thinking it would finally start coming together and be fun.

I liked Dragon's Dogma a lot! It's graphics are getting pretty dated now but it was lots of fun.

Personally even if i hate a game i play it to the bitter end 90% of the time. Its so that i can get my money's worth and at the very least say i gave it a fair chance and set up a coherent argument why i hate it. I mean, if i said that the game was flawed and said i played just an hour of it, i think i'll lose a lot of credability.

That said, if i play enough and i get a pretty clear picture i'll terminate it sooner. That said, i'll leave a game unfinished if:

1. There is a bug that breaks my save game files or technical issues. - van Helsing 3 springs to mind.
2. Its a rogue-like and its endless so i've seen enough. Binding of isaac i'm ashamed i didn't get very far. beat mother once or twice and then moved on as i have a large collection of games.
3. the game is seriously boring. Kholat i'm looking at you. It was one of the most boring things i played all year and that's after i played other walking simulators.

I played dragons Dogma and i thought it was ok. It felt a bit bare bones/basic in places but there was plenty of moments that were good. I suppose it depends on what class you played as when you started, but it played like poor man's Dark souls honestly. There were bits that made my cry BS which is probably why there are so many resurrection items to collect in end game. Beat the game, got half way in the DLC and decided to call it a day.

My 2,5 year old daughter had been playing around with my controller a few times, mainly because she likes pressing buttons, so yesterday I decided to see if she would be interested in actually playing a game. I went through the games I got for free from Epic and found A Short Hike. After skipping through the starting cutscenes, my daughter was happy with seeing the "duck", as she called the main character, and with some guidance managed to walk around a bit. She had no idea how to actually steer, so she ended up in the water rather quickly and swam around in there for most of the time, but she did surprise me by managing to move and jump at the same time after a while.

All in all, I would call it a successful first introduction to playing video games.

@Pifanjr A Short Hike is a wonderful little game, I never realised how perfect it is for a first introductory game.
Very simple controls with no fail feature, no enemys (except that little twerp not finding his own shells) and an all round nice colourful world.

And enough interesting stuff for a 2,5 year old to recognize. I did also load up ABZÛ for a second and while it's very beautiful, it's also just mostly a bunch of fish, at least in the beginning, so it wasn't as engaging for my daughter.

However my wife got instantly hooked, as she is a big fan of Journey. Luckily she was wise enough to quit the game before she found herself skipping the night playing it.

Reactions: IndecentLouie
How much playtime do you have in Cyberpunk 2077 and what have you been doing?

Time sure flies when you are having fun. I have been talking to monks, A. I cab drivers and testing out different cybernetics/weapons/clothes. Taken out a few bandit operations and secured some cache with loot. Recently participated in a car race and got a phat ass car. Also been driving around in the Nomad region and wondering how I can get enough boost to jump over the canyon. Got in a massive battle with a commando psycho character that basically could kill me if he just sneezed. Somehow, I managed to deplete his HP enough so I could incapacitate him without killing him. Today I'm going treasure-hunting and doing some underwater swimming.

kmeYi1E.png

My 2,5 year old daughter had been playing around with my controller a few times, mainly because she likes pressing buttons, so yesterday I decided to see if she would be interested in actually playing a game. I went through the games I got for free from Epic and found A Short Hike. After skipping through the starting cutscenes, my daughter was happy with seeing the "duck", as she called the main character, and with some guidance managed to walk around a bit. She had no idea how to actually steer, so she ended up in the water rather quickly and swam around in there for most of the time, but she did surprise me by managing to move and jump at the same time after a while.

All in all, I would call it a successful first introduction to playing video games.

We recently had a friend over and showed him how my daughter liked playing A Short Hike. Somehow this ended up with him playing through the entire game after my daughter had gone to bed, which is suppose is a testament to how good the game actually is.

My daughter has also gotten a new game she really likes: Skyrim. My wife has been playing a lot of it and my daughter happened to see the skill menu and now wants to play "blue", as she calls it, where she just scrolls through the skill menu and looks and names the star signs.

She also did see a dragon at some point and now occasionally demands to see another "dinosaur".

Speaking of wanting to see another "dinosaur" @Pifanjr : I just started playing Jurassic World Evolution on Epic Games and it got some really cool animations when you release the dinosaurs and also when they are moving about. Perhaps some of it could be of interest:)

Ooh, I did get that one, she'd probably love that. I'm going to need a bigger SSD though: I currently have a 250GB one and Total War: Warhammer 2 + Kingdom Come: Deliverance together fill most of that already.

I currently have only 17GB left, so I'm not sure if adding another 7GB is a good idea.

EDIT: uninstalled Company of Heroes (which I still occasionally play with some friends). At least I have an idea of what to ask for my birthday this year.

Reactions: Frindis
For the most part probably path of exile. i have absolutely no idea why. I've done the calculations, had a think about it and i don't think i'll get the 24 challenges to get my cosmetic item. i'll be one or 2 short as i'm not good enough to get there. So why am i still playing? i should go back and finish off origins as i'm still plodding my way around Egypt and although i'm 40% of the game complete, i dispute that. The game world is massive and i'm taking my time soaking in all the sites and visiting all the ?.

I'll discuss my thoughts on the game when i finish it. But thats not going to happen any time soon.

if by some miracle, i'll play some more of the division 2. I only installed it to get the 3 RE cosmetics. played about 2 hours this week. Do i like it? Not as impressed as the division one if i'm being honest. not sure why.

With POE taking over my life i really need to finish off the doom 2 wad MapWich2. I'm on level 22 which i think is the last one in the wad.

I'll probably be playing some GTA Online with some friends, maybe some project zomboid, probably some factorio. Pretty stoked to see Factorio is getting a major DLC sometime in the next year or two. The factory must grow, after all.

@Johnway Been thinking a little about coming back to PoE but scared my brain will explode as to the sheer amount of new things you can do now since I last visited it, which is...let me see: 14th of April, 2019 with 189 hours of playtime. I also wonder how many hours it would take to visit all the ? in Witcher 3. Soooooooooooooooo many, lol

@drunkpunk speaking of Factorio, have you played or read about https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366540/Dyson_Sphere_Program/? Look really good!

Last edited:
@Frindis I have definitely seen it, and watched some streams. It looks pretty cool but I get really bored in those games without a persistent threat like biters. I've heard that they are planning on something like that so I'm keeping it wishlisted for now. I definitely do dig the more planetary scale of it, though.

TRENDING THREADS