Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 86 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Let's make a bet. I'll say yes, and you say no. $100.00

I bet I'm the only person here with two 1 gig fiber Internet plans :)

We originally got a 1 gig plan from our utilities provider, but I wasn't happy with it, so I got ATT. I waited awhile before trying to cancel KUB, but decided I liked having both. If one of them goes down (hasn't happened yet) or slows down, I just switch to the other.

And it's still $20 cheaper than my Comcast was.

For example, I was on KUB playing Nightingale on their dedicated servers, and when we went into a dungeon, the game became unplayable. It was freezing up every couple of seconds. I switched it over to ATT, and everything went smooth.

This was an example of one of the reasons I left KUB to begin with, but I had switched over to KUB during the tornado the other night because ATT got really slow.

But, you know what? If I didn't have two Internet providers, I'd have thought the problem was 100 percent with the game. I'd be one of those angry, "It's poorly optimized" persons.

Now that I can walk around, I'm trying to come up with a hobby that makes me move. I'm thinking about having the pool filled in and putting a greenhouse in. Or possibly extending the house over the driveway and putting in a garage to restore old cars.

Basically, I want to actually do what I've been doing in games for the last few years.

Right now I'm leaning toward a greenhouse. I still have my back problem and working on cars could be problematic.

Now that I can walk around, I'm trying to come up with a hobby that makes me move. I'm thinking about having the pool filled in and putting a greenhouse in. Or possibly extending the house over the driveway and putting in a garage to restore old cars.

Basically, I want to actually do what I've been doing in games for the last few years.

Right now I'm leaning toward a greenhouse. I still have my back problem and working on cars could be problematic.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKaONUkiyCo

Bad jokes aside, nice that you recovered some mobility.

Last edited:
I want to actually do what I've been doing in games for the last few years

Yeah, sounds like a good idea to sit back, relax and watch Guido do all the work :p

having the pool filled in

So you're not into swimming? Probably the best all-round exercise, no impact injuries and great for back muscles.

Right now I'm leaning toward a greenhouse. I still have my back problem

Oh, careful with that—if it's made of glass you could get nasty cuts if you topple further.

Woodwork would be better than cars, but could scratch a similar creative or restorative itch—loads of old furniture at estate sales, often at knock-down prices if not antiques.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea to sit back, relax and watch Guido do all the work :p

So you're not into swimming? Probably the best all-round exercise, no impact injuries and great for back muscles.

Oh, careful with that—if it's made of glass you could get nasty cuts if you topple further.

Woodwork would be better than cars, but could scratch a similar creative or restorative itch—loads of old furniture at estate sales, often at knock-down prices if not antiques.
Thing is, doing a greenhouse and restoring cars have long been things I've had interest in. Not so much with woodworking. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making music boxes, but that would be mostly sitting. Of course, restoring a car would be mostly upper body work instead of the leg work that I need.

I do have two friends who love woodworking. One turned it into a career making custom kitchen cabinets. The other one makes very nice clocks. I still have one he made me as a wedding gift.

Just a random thought, but speaking of clocks, my dad gave me an antique cuckoo clock the other day which is kind of cool. I haven't decided where I'm putting it yet. Its mechanism is apparently extremely fragile. They were worried that simply bringing it over here would mess it up, but it seems fine.

Last edited:
Let's make a bet. I'll say yes, and you say no. $100.00

I bet I'm the only person here with two 1 gig fiber Internet plans :)

We originally got a 1 gig plan from our utilities provider, but I wasn't happy with it, so I got ATT. I waited awhile before trying to cancel KUB, but decided I liked having both. If one of them goes down (hasn't happened yet) or slows down, I just switch to the other.

And it's still $20 cheaper than my Comcast was.

For example, I was on KUB playing Nightingale on their dedicated servers, and when we went into a dungeon, the game became unplayable. It was freezing up every couple of seconds. I switched it over to ATT, and everything went smooth.

This was an example of one of the reasons I left KUB to begin with, but I had switched over to KUB during the tornado the other night because ATT got really slow.

But, you know what? If I didn't have two Internet providers, I'd have thought the problem was 100 percent with the game. I'd be one of those angry, "It's poorly optimized" persons.

I think you win this one. That said, whenever mine gets janky, I just reset everything; I partially suspect that stuff gets weird with Comcast because I have all my own equipment and they don't like it.

As someone with multiple project cars, I recommend the green house. Especially with your back problems, old rusted bolts often require a lot of effort, along with contorting yourself into weird positions, as well as leaning over, crouching and many busted knuckles, cuts and bruises.

It's a fun hobby, but even with a lift there's a lot of strain on your back.

Gaming Lingo I Find Mildly Annoying

I read on an article a game being described as an “imm sim”. My first thought was “WTF does THAT mean??”. Then I thought about it a second longer and figured out it means Immersive Sim.

Yuck, I have a weird annoyance with that.
Someone used the word 'shmup' in a conversation with me the other day. I wasnt ready to hear that out loud.

My wife apologized. She's still coming to grips with my cognitive situation. She asked me a question, and I told her I didn't know, and she got angry thinking I was just dismissing her, but I honestly didn't know.

Good that she apologized.

That's something we've fostered in our marriage, because it's something neither of us ever saw our parents doing, in spite of consistently being in a position to do so.

One thing I've decided to investigate on the cognitive side is nutrient deficiencies, I apparently had a potassium deficiency affecting my walking for years and the doctors didn't know it. I'm wondering if there is something that is borderline or possibly falling below that recently since I've gotten noticeably worse in the last month.

See, I have kidney disease, and as my kidneys get worse, I'm going to have a harder time processing nutrients the way I should, so it makes sense to me that I need to investigate what nutrient deficiencies can cause brain fog, etc. and see if taking supplements might help. Could be something odd that they don't normally test for.

Decent 35m video: The Real Stars and Scale of Sci-fi

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r2x7G0hwCw
Fun video. My wife and I watched it the other night and it was fun to see the approximate scale of the Star Trek "universe"; it feels so vast in Next Gen and yet, it's such a small fraction of our current known local area.

I'm off to war again today. Doing a Bolt Action tournament with a friend and while this isn't exactly the force I wanted to bring, it's what I could cook-up and get a few new bits painted for in the very limited time I had building up to this. I need to actually go through and repaint jackets on the infantry, as I've always been kind of unhappy with them and I need to strip the tank and half track for repainting, as well as print or build an M8 Greyhound, as mine was second hand and is missing quite a few pieces.

At any rate, should be a fun day. I'm excited that it's a "Mid-War" themed tournament, which means it should hopefully see some more unusual units and models.

TRENDING THREADS