Can you call yourself a patient gamer?

Lauren Morton

Staff member

Hey PC gamers, on this week's (last week's, sorry my bad) Chat Log, Mollie and I talked with Chris about patient gaming. Turns out Chris accidentally waited 8 years to play Stardew Valley and he's been having a grand time with it. That led us to wonder: are any of us true patient gamers? Among other places, there's an /r/patientgamers subreddit dedicated to the idea of waiting to play the latest game releases for a number of different reasons. The bar that the subreddit uses is waiting to play at least a year after release.

Can you call yourself a patient gamer?​

It turns out that none of the three of us are really all that patient. We can blame the job, but we're also just riddled with FOMO. Have you waited to play a game because you wanted to get it on a deal? What about waiting to get the definitive edition and all the DLCs until you play something? Have you ever waited to play a game because you didn't hit the system specs or because you wanted to wait for a bunch of bug fixes to happen? Does waiting for an early access game to hit full release count as being patient?

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
I liked that show "This is your life"—the Brit version with Eamonn Andrews. Thanks for reviving this just so you could have me on :)

Does waiting for an early access game to hit full release count as being patient?

Absolutely not, unless you're Zed.

/r/patientgamers … uses is waiting to play at least a year after release

Pffft, amateurs!

Patient Gaming is a thread from 2023-05 where I laid out my stall on the subject—many plusses, a few minuses, sources—and we had a good 50-post discussion.

I think my record for a game I really wanted since before release was Civ 6—I waited 6 years after release for it! Main reason was they kept trickling out DLC—but they still got me, there were even a few more after I bought it :rolleyes:
Worked out well for me tho, as the only enjoyment I got out of it was playing Kupe the Navigator of the Maori, which was a fairly late DLC.

Lauren Morton

Staff member
What about the people who put money into Star Citizen kick starter and are still waiting now? That is a balance between patient, wishful thinking & foolishness. I guess that could be classified as waiting for it to come out of early access, but I feel the time from announce to eventual launch counts.

I think the intent of patient gaming is not just the waiting to play but also the waiting to purchase, so crowdfunding is probably like the antithesis of being patient haha. I mean you do have to be patient, in a totally different way, but not in the patient gaming way of waiting to get involved and invested in something.

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS