Question Can anyone recommend two games please? One multiplayer and one campaign based.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Metro Exodus and Control both have really good campaigns, both are a couple years old by now though. Titanfall 2 was also brilliant but quite short, that was made by Respawn, that was founded by the people who made COD.

Totally forgot to mention Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal, which are both also amazing.
Cheers - I know a few who love Doom

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
It's balanced by hit chance and there is a limit amount of actions you can do in one go "action points" before it needs to recharge. Here is a slightly spoilerey funny video about the game.
In that list, Disco Elysium and Mount & Blade II Bannerlord are newer games. I believe M&B2 left early access this year, DE came out in 2019 I believe. I’m trying to recommend PC exclusive games, so those are good ones to start for newer exclusives.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is the newest game that has been a major hit in the PC community. Although it’s on Xbox and PS5, BG has its roots deep in PC gaming.

When I try to think of PC exclusives over the past few years, a major trend that comes to my mind is “boomer-shooters”, or new FPS games in the style of 90s FPSs. Games like ULTRAKILL, DUSK, Postal Brain Damaged and Amid Evil are great ones that fall in that category. Then there are games like Neon White and Robo-Quest which are more rogue-like. Newer, more modern FPSs to try would include Hunt Showdown, Killing Floor 2, CSGO if you like competitive shooters, or Postal 3 if you want a goofy single player FPS. I also think of CRPG’s which are typically top down/isometric turn based games. BG3, Disco Elysium, Divinity Original Sin 1+2, the newer Shadowrun games, then there are more strategic RPGs like Crusader Kings 3 and Europa Universalis IV. If you like pure strategy, you can’t go wrong with any of the new Age of Empires re-releases, Civilization 6 (Civ 5 + all DLC goes on sale for around $15, worth to pick it up if you like those kinds of games), and Cities Skylines.

Sorry for the info dump, I hope this helps out. PC has so many games exclusive to its platform that I think are worthy of playing for any gamer, especially console players just moving to PC.
That is really helpful thanks - I would prefer PC exclusive games as well as it is something different. Plenty to choose from from that list - I'm looking at them all now !

Reactions: neogunhero
More tactical right than just carnage?

There are 2 main types of Shooters, melee and tactical. Most of what's been recommended so far is melee, is that your preference?

Another division is open or closed world, any preference there?

I’m just curious and noticing there aren’t any recent popular games in this category

Many of the helpful folk in this thread are RPG players, so you're going to get more suggestions like Fallout or Deus Ex etc in preference to FPS games.

Some recent well-received shooters I haven't played:
Dead Island 2
Dying Light 2
Halo Infinite
System Shock

I prefer the tactical/strategic open world [I'll call that TOWS] single-player FPS, so such games I've played and would recommend:

Far Cry—any since FC3 onward. FC6 is biggest and most fun, FC5 is most polished, but 3, 4, New Dawn, Primal are all at least very good in the TOWS space.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3—the world is empty and navigating is a pain if you don't like vehicles, but otherwise decent TOWS game.

Crysis 1 and Warhead—from 00s, but still hold up. I play the first halves of both every year. If you also like a closed environment, then C2 and C3 are also excellent—get the recent Remastered trilogy which has them all except for Warhead.

Ghost Recon Wildlands—that's the Tom Clancy TOW game, very good.

Sniper Elite 4—I haven't played 5 yet, hear that's also very good.

Just Cause 3.

I don't play multiplayer, so can't help there :)

Reactions: neogunhero
Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
There are 2 main types of Shooters, melee and tactical. Most of what's been recommended so far is melee, is that your preference?

Another division is open or closed world, any preference there?

Many of the helpful folk in this thread are RPG players, so you're going to get more suggestions like Fallout or Deus Ex etc in preference to FPS games.

Some recent well-received shooters I haven't played:
Dead Island 2
Dying Light 2
Halo Infinite
System Shock

I prefer the tactical/strategic open world [I'll call that TOWS] single-player FPS, so such games I've played and would recommend:

Far Cry—any since FC3 onward. FC6 is biggest and most fun, FC5 is most polished, but 3, 4, New Dawn, Primal are all at least very good in the TOWS space.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3—the world is empty and navigating is a pain if you don't like vehicles, but otherwise decent TOWS game.

Crysis 1 and Warhead—from 00s, but still hold up. I play the first halves of both every year. If you also like a closed environment, then C2 and C3 are also excellent—get the recent Remastered trilogy which has them all except for Warhead.

Ghost Recon Wildlands—that's the Tom Clancy TOW game, very good.

Sniper Elite 4—I haven't played 5 yet, hear that's also very good.

Just Cause 3.

I don't play multiplayer, so can't help there :)
Thanks Brian - I think you sussed out my preferences there.

I think I probably prefer tactical but open to melee if it’s a great game. Historically I’ve probably been drawn to closed world but I have enjoyed a few open worlds in the past - assassins creed probably falls under that right although I appreciate it probably isn’t up there with the greats. Hitman probably doesn’t fall under open world but maybe in the middle - I enjoyed that a lot. I think I would enjoy open world with good suggestions.

The games that have jumped out to me from the helpful suggestions in this thread in particular are Metro Exodus, Titanfall 2, Hunt Showdown, Killing Floor 2, the TC games and Ultrakill (never seen anything quite like Ultrakill at least recently anyway).

Your suggestions are also great thanks - halo is one of my favourites. I’ve always been interested in far cry and crysis so will give them a go. But the others look equally as good. If halo is classed as TOWS then I do enjoy that category. There is so much choice it’s good.

I couldn't get into FO3 and FO4 just rubbed me up wrong way - getting power armour right at beginning instead of at end of game like in FNV just seemed strange. The online version was even more funny and is still a work in progress. Maybe they hope all its players just go to starfield so they can stop "Fixing" it.
Fallout 76 has long been "fixed". They just regularly add new content for their playerbase, kind of like MMOs.

Thanks Brian - I think you sussed out my preferences there.

I think I probably prefer tactical but open to melee if it’s a great game. Historically I’ve probably been drawn to closed world but I have enjoyed a few open worlds in the past - assassins creed probably falls under that right although I appreciate it probably isn’t up there with the greats. Hitman probably doesn’t fall under open world but maybe in the middle - I enjoyed that a lot. I think I would enjoy open world with good suggestions.

The games that have jumped out to me from the helpful suggestions in this thread in particular are Metro Exodus, Titanfall 2, Hunt Showdown, Killing Floor 2, the TC games and Ultrakill (never seen anything quite like Ultrakill at least recently anyway).

Your suggestions are also great thanks - halo is one of my favourites. I’ve always been interested in far cry and crysis so will give them a go. But the others look equally as good. If halo is classed as TOWS then I do enjoy that category. There is so much choice it’s good.
Remnant 2 is the best shooter from this year.

@Brian Boru Dying Light 2 is a great game, but I wouldn't call it a shooter unless the shooting part is optional. You can get bows, but it's mostly a melee (hand-to-hand combat) game.

tbf op asked for one game so natural people will suggest there or one of there favorite games.

And a game with a good story and maybe i have high standards but games like the far-cry series or Just Cause doesn't have that in my opinion still they are fun shooters for the most part but so is Borderlands 2-3 but i wouldn't recommend them on the premises of having a good story.

MMO with a max of 24 on the server...massive!
I found FO76 better when you played alone or with a group of friends. I also like how PVP is kinda disabled, both players have to shoot at each other to initiate PVP damage. It felt like they wanted players to be friendly, work together and make friends, and that unique approach to MMOs was what kept me playing for so long. It was so fun to bump into a random player and to throw some emotes back and forth before going along with our days.

its been out 5 years, you would hope its better now.

MMO with a max of 24 on the server...massive!
I didn't say it was an MMO. I said they added content regularly like MMOs do.

Not watching the video. I've got 200 hours in Fallout 76. Don't need some YouTube hack who's trying to get views by being edgy to show me how to nitpick the game.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS