Question Can anyone recommend two games please? One multiplayer and one campaign based.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have just got a new gaming laptop having played Xbox for years. I want to pick two games to buy but there is so much choice.

I play solely shooter games, ideally FPS but I enjoy games such as gears of war and halo. I like to have two games on the go - one that is excellent for multiplayer and the other which has an amazing campaign. I am a sucker for call of duty (cod4 being my favourite classic) but only really enjoyed the older releases. I know a new cod is coming out in November. I tried pc gaming when I was younger and loved counter strike but my internet was bad back then so struggled to play. I also hear a new CS is coming out soon.

I am also open to games such as Witcher and starfield but I don’t enjoy battle royale games.

Does anyone have two recommendations please? Thanks a lot.

Reactions: neogunhero
For single player i have to recommend Fallout new vegas it doesn't have the most refined fps controls because it's technically a arpg but it makes up for that with other mechanics. And you can plow hundreds of hours in to it no problem.

As for multiplayer do give sc go a try. it feels like it's better than ever.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Thank you! Is fall out new vegas better than any single player games over the last 5 years would you say ?
When you say sc do you mean Tom Clancy splinter cell? Are there people still playing the last release from 2013 I think it is?
For single player i have to recommend Fallout new vegas it doesn't have the most refined fps controls because it's technically a arpg but it makes up for that with other mechanics. And you can plow hundreds of hours in to it no problem.

As for multiplayer do give sc go a try. it feels like it's better than ever.

Thank you! Is fall out new vegas better than any single player games over the last 5 years would you say ?
When you say sc do you mean Tom Clancy splinter cell? Are there people still playing the last release from 2013 I think it is?
I think so if i only get to pick one game i go for new vegas over probably anything fps wise. There are other good games too like metro exodus event though that's the latest in a game series so it's advised to start with metro 2033.

As for the other game i have to apologize that i spelled it wrong i referred to cs go (counter strike global offensive)

If this is your first foray into PC gaming in a while, I’d recommend some PC classics. For campaign games, you can’t go wrong with the granddaddy of immersive sims, Deus Ex. It usually goes on sale dirt cheap, so I will always recommend that. For a more modernized experience, Deus Ex Revision is a great mod that updates the game and it is available on Steam so no complicated modding process required.

For multiplayer, I’d recommend to check out Quake 2. It’s a classic PC FPS from the 90s that recently got a free remaster update and it’s the best way to experience a gaming legend on modern hardware. It lacks things like leveling up or any sort of progression, but focuses purely on gameplay and increasing your skill the more you play. It also has a great single player mode as well as co-op. The online services have been revamped and work flawlessly now.

Another one I’d throw in, Team Fortress 2 still offers a great multiplayer experience for a classic PC game. It’s the game that inspired Overwatch, and has been running strong for like 15 years or so. It’s still a ton of fun to play though with a high skill curve. There are more modern elements like progression and unlocks and customization you may like. The custom map scene is great too, so there is no shortage of maps to play on. I’d personally just turn off voice chat if you play it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
VATS helps though it might not if you into shooters, its better for those of us who aren't really into shooters. It was best Fallout game so far though. Beats the Bethesda versions.
im coming at it as mostly a fps player and VATS is just fun my biggest gripe is that a lot of the perks are purely vats focused but there are mods to fix that making manual aiming more viable. it's certainly a lot better than how it was in F3 even though i prefer that atmosphere tbh.

I couldn't get into FO3 and FO4 just rubbed me up wrong way - getting power armour right at beginning instead of at end of game like in FNV just seemed strange. The online version was even more funny and is still a work in progress. Maybe they hope all its players just go to starfield so they can stop "Fixing" it.

I couldn't get into FO3 and FO4 just rubbed me up wrong way - getting power armour right at beginning instead of at end of game like in FNV just seemed strange. The online version was even more funny and is still a work in progress. Maybe they hope all its players just go to starfield so they can stop "Fixing" it.
Not a fan of 4 and 76 was a catastrophe and I've seen enough bad signs coming out of starfield so Im reluctant to even try it doesn't seem to be what I was hoping for.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
I think so if i only get to pick one game i go for new vegas over probably anything fps wise. There are other good games too like metro exodus event though that's the latest in a game series so it's advised to start with metro 2033.

As for the other game i have to apologize that i spelled it wrong i referred to cs go (counter strike global offensive)
I’ll definitely try them out thanks. Counter strike is definitely on the cards so I am glad people still say it’s good

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
If this is your first foray into PC gaming in a while, I’d recommend some PC classics. For campaign games, you can’t go wrong with the granddaddy of immersive sims, Deus Ex. It usually goes on sale dirt cheap, so I will always recommend that. For a more modernized experience, Deus Ex Revision is a great mod that updates the game and it is available on Steam so no complicated modding process required.

For multiplayer, I’d recommend to check out Quake 2. It’s a classic PC FPS from the 90s that recently got a free remaster update and it’s the best way to experience a gaming legend on modern hardware. It lacks things like leveling up or any sort of progression, but focuses purely on gameplay and increasing your skill the more you play. It also has a great single player mode as well as co-op. The online services have been revamped and work flawlessly now.

Another one I’d throw in, Team Fortress 2 still offers a great multiplayer experience for a classic PC game. It’s the game that inspired Overwatch, and has been running strong for like 15 years or so. It’s still a ton of fun to play though with a high skill curve. There are more modern elements like progression and unlocks and customization you may like. The custom map scene is great too, so there is no shortage of maps to play on. I’d personally just turn off voice chat if you play it.
It’s really interesting that the older games are still better than the new games - Deus Ex looks good. So games like Quake 2 and Team Fortress 2 are they updated graphics wise or just updated for e.g. maps etc? Either way both looks cool. Do you still get a lot who play these online? Cheers

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
VATS helps though it might not if you into shooters, its better for those of us who aren't really into shooters. It was best Fallout game so far though. Beats the Bethesda versions.
I’m a bit of a rookie coming into pc gaming now as it’s been years since I was on it - is VATS something to do with the mechanics of the game?

its auto targeting, it pauses the game, lets you select an area on the enemies for game to shoot at and it auto shoots that area once you finished.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Isn’t that cheating haha although I am probably missing something
its auto targeting, it pauses the game, lets you select an area on the enemies for game to shoot at and it auto shoots that area once you finished.

it can't be cheating if its built into game and the game gives you perks to invest skill points into to make it better.

It was introduced in Fallout 3 as the gun play in that game was pretty bad. Slowly bethesda got better... buying ID (makers of Doom) helped I am sure

It’s really interesting that the older games are still better than the new games - Deus Ex looks good. So games like Quake 2 and Team Fortress 2 are they updated graphics wise or just updated for e.g. maps etc? Either way both looks cool. Do you still get a lot who play these online? Cheers
Quake 2 just got a remaster update which improved graphics, audio, multiplayer services and added free content. You can find a decent amount of people hosting games online, they’re not official servers just someone hosting an online game. It has a decent amount of players, over 1000 last time I checked. The thing about PC games is I feel like online player bases stay for longer than on consoles, but that’s just my speculation.
TF2 gets semi-regular updates. Their last major one from a few months ago fixed lots of bugs. It has a better player base and has better community servers. Graphics wise it’s still a bit dated but the art style makes up for it, plus older games mean they will perform better on modern gaming hardware.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
it can't be cheating if its built into game and the game gives you perks to invest skill points into to make it better.

It was introduced in Fallout 3 as the gun play in that game was pretty bad. Slowly bethesda got better... buying ID (makers of Doom) helped I am sure
True! I will be trying fallout

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Quake 2 just got a remaster update which improved graphics, audio, multiplayer services and added free content. You can find a decent amount of people hosting games online, they’re not official servers just someone hosting an online game. It has a decent amount of players, over 1000 last time I checked. The thing about PC games is I feel like online player bases stay for longer than on consoles, but that’s just my speculation.
TF2 gets semi-regular updates. Their last major one from a few months ago fixed lots of bugs. It has a better player base and has better community servers. Graphics wise it’s still a bit dated but the art style makes up for it, plus older games mean they will perform better on modern gaming hardware.
Perfect - I’ll try these and older they are the cheaper so all good.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site

Gonna drop this here, it’s a list of some of the most popular and highly acclaimed games that are PC only. Half Life Alex is VR only (officially, anyway), so keep that in mind. Number 10 also lists a bunch of golden oldies for PC games.
That is ideal thanks for this I’ll take a look - just out of interest are there no recent games anyone is raving about? They don’t need to be new or anything, that doesn’t bother me, I’m just curious and noticing there aren’t any recent popular games in this category

Metro Exodus and Control both have really good campaigns, both are a couple years old by now though. Titanfall 2 was also brilliant but quite short, that was made by Respawn, that was founded by the people who made COD.

Totally forgot to mention Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal, which are both also amazing.

That is ideal thanks for this I’ll take a look - just out of interest are there no recent games anyone is raving about? They don’t need to be new or anything, that doesn’t bother me, I’m just curious and noticing there aren’t any recent popular games in this category
In that list, Disco Elysium and Mount & Blade II Bannerlord are newer games. I believe M&B2 left early access this year, DE came out in 2019 I believe. I’m trying to recommend PC exclusive games, so those are good ones to start for newer exclusives.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is the newest game that has been a major hit in the PC community. Although it’s on Xbox and PS5, BG has its roots deep in PC gaming.

When I try to think of PC exclusives over the past few years, a major trend that comes to my mind is “boomer-shooters”, or new FPS games in the style of 90s FPSs. Games like ULTRAKILL, DUSK, Postal Brain Damaged and Amid Evil are great ones that fall in that category. Then there are games like Neon White and Robo-Quest which are more rogue-like. Newer, more modern FPSs to try would include Hunt Showdown, Killing Floor 2, CSGO if you like competitive shooters, or Postal 3 if you want a goofy single player FPS. I also think of CRPG’s which are typically top down/isometric turn based games. BG3, Disco Elysium, Divinity Original Sin 1+2, the newer Shadowrun games, then there are more strategic RPGs like Crusader Kings 3 and Europa Universalis IV. If you like pure strategy, you can’t go wrong with any of the new Age of Empires re-releases, Civilization 6 (Civ 5 + all DLC goes on sale for around $15, worth to pick it up if you like those kinds of games), and Cities Skylines.

Sorry for the info dump, I hope this helps out. PC has so many games exclusive to its platform that I think are worthy of playing for any gamer, especially console players just moving to PC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts