Building 4090 with 7800xd .. need some advice

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Thanks for the video! Doesn’t seem complicated at all and I’ve got my Sandisk 8gb flash ready.

I’ve been thinking about it see this motherboard as well:

ASUS TUF Gaming B650-PLUS WiFi Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard(14 Power Stages, PCIe® 5.0 M.2 Support, DDR5 Memory, 2.5 Gb Ethernet, WiFi 6, USB4® Support and Aura Sync) https://a.co/d/dWV1Iz8

Would this happen to be better than the tomahawk? It seems to have gotten better reviews.. thanks!
That's a good board tbh ^^

Reactions: D10S and Brian Boru
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
That's a good board tbh ^^
Thanks for your input! .. would you go with that one over the tomahawk? I’m torn between the two.. does it just come down to personal preference at this point? I have no idea what to choose but it seems like multiple people have agreed the tomahawk is a good board..

Edit: it just seems like nobody ever talks about this board which is why I’m confused with all the great reviews. All the other mobo’s suggested are 4 stars or less. I did see someone say a lot of the lower reviews are errors more on the consumer than the mobo itself..

Edit 2: it looks like they both have different audio codec’s like the gigabyte board. 1200 vs 4080. It seems like 1200 is better though from what I’m reading and less of a headache if there’s a problem?.. but if I’m using an external DAC none of this really matters I don’t think?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
This is another mobo I’m looking at that got good reviews.

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi AM5 (LGA1718) Ryzen 7000 Gaming Motherboard(12+2 Power Stages,DDR5,3xM.2 Slots,PCIe® 5.0,WiFi 6E,2.5G LAN,USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C® Port) https://a.co/d/4otmsEH

What do you think? Thanks!

Reactions: Why_Me
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
After a lot of research, I’m now leaning towards the aurus elite b650.. it matches my gpu hehe so might make things easier. And the wifi seems reliable
Compared to the other brands.

I am now looking at SSD’s and trying to figure out what brand I want. The crucial p3 looks like a great bargain. 200$ for a 4tb sounds great. I could also pay more for a wd-black 4tb that seems to have better speeds.. does this really matter in gaming? Any help appreciated and sorry for all the questions.. just a lot to take in. Thanks!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
So.. I’ll probably be going with the auros elite ax b650. I’m now looking at the cpu cooler again, will the AK620 for sure fit on that? I saw someone saying it didn’t fit their b650 tomahawk which is strange as they both have the same am5 chip, no? Thanks!

I got the wd-black 4tb ssd btw.. it was on sale!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Alright.. so I just got the Lian Li 216 shipped here and it looks great! Has two giant fans on the front and one smaller fan on the back. Is that all that’s needed to keep everything cool? Of course the CPU cooler will be in there too. I’m not sure where I would want to mount that third little fan it came with though..

Alright.. so I just got the Lian Li 216 shipped here and it looks great! Has two giant fans on the front and one smaller fan on the back. Is that all that’s needed to keep everything cool? Of course the CPU cooler will be in there too. I’m not sure where I would want to mount that third little fan it came with though..
All you need is the fans that come with the case ... minus the goofy fan that goes outside the back of that case. It's a gimmick.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
All you need is the fans that come with the case ... minus the goofy fan that goes outside the back of that case. It's a gimmick.
Thanks for the info! Yes seems like people like to overcomplicate things!

I am wondering if this would be a good liquid cooler

DeepCool LT720 Liquid Cooler 360mm Multidimensional Infinity Mirror ARGB Block 300w TDP 4th Gen Dual-Chamber Pump 3100RPM AIO Anti-Leak Tech CPU Water for AMD AM4/AM5 LGA 1700/1200 https://a.co/d/8KKUWGL

in case the AK620 doesn’t fit? I emailed deppcool and they said that they can’t guarantee ak620 to fit and also if it did it may not be cool enough for the 7800x3d. I don’t really want to go down the liquid cooler range due to potential leaks but this one seems like it’d be safe and efficient enough? Thanks again!

Edit: I went with the arctic liquid freezer II 360 instead.. hope it’s good!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Yes seems like people like to overcomplicate things!

I am wondering if this would be a good liquid cooler

DeepCool LT720 Liquid Cooler 360mm Multidimensional Infinity Mirror ARGB Block 300w TDP 4th Gen Dual-Chamber Pump 3100RPM AIO Anti-Leak Tech CPU Water for AMD AM4/AM5 LGA 1700/1200 https://a.co/d/8KKUWGL

in case the AK620 doesn’t fit? I emailed deppcool and they said that they can’t guarantee ak620 to fit and also if it did it may not be cool enough for the 7800x3d. I don’t really want to go down the liquid cooler range due to potential leaks but this one seems like it’d be safe and efficient enough? Thanks again!

Edit: I went with the arctic liquid freezer II 360 instead.. hope it’s good!
That AIO will work fine but I see no reason why the 620 won't fit.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
That AIO will work fine but I see no reason why the 620 won't fit.
Thanks! Do you feel the AK620 would be better than that AIO? I see many people using it for the 7800x3d so I’m not sure what the DeepCool guy is talking about..

The guy at DeepCool I spoke to said if I wanted to use rhe AK620 that I might need to “under clock” the cpu which I’ve never heard before and kinda freaked me out lol.. I still like the idea of the simplicity of it though and if it’s sufficient I’d probably want to go the air cooled route since the 216 is so airy as is

Edit: the guy said that because they don’t have a b650 aorus elite ax at their office that they can’t guarantee that the ak620 will fit or not due to the VRM on the motherboard. So wanted to get that water cooler just in case it doesn’t but yeah I can’t find anywhere online of it not fitting that mobo but I did see someone on Amazon say it didn’t fit their tomahawk..

This is what the man said at DeepCool

“Due to how hot the new-gen CPUs are known to run, we would recommend going with the AK620 as it would be one of our best-performing air coolers. However, We would like to further mention that even with the AK620, the temps you'll likely receive would still be high by design. Because of this, we would like to mention considering undervolting the CPU due to the stock settings the new-gen AMD and Intels are known to run at.”

Again thanks for all your time in helping me out, truly appreciated! It’s like pulling teeth trying to find the answers to things when it comes to this stuff so you’re the last person left who’s been actively helping me out. Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah everyone is giving conflicting answers on whether it’ll fit or not so wanted to get that AIO just in case. Do you feel the AK620 would be better than that AIO?

The guy at DeepCool I spoke to said if I wanted to use rhe AK620 that I might need to “under clock” the cpu which I’ve never heard before and kinda freaked me out lol.. I still like the idea of the simplicity of it though and if it’s sufficient I’d probably want to go the air cooled route since the 216 is so airy as is

Edit: the guy said that because they don’t have a b650 aorus elite ax at their office that they can’t guarantee that the ak620 will fit or not due to the VRM on the motherboard. So wanted to get that water cooler just in case it doesn’t but yeah I can’t find anywhere online of it not fitting that mobo but I did see someone on Amazon say it didn’t fit their tomahawk..

This is what the man said at DeepCool

“Due to how hot the new-gen CPUs are known to run, we would recommend going with the AK620 as it would be one of our best-performing air coolers. However, We would like to further mention that even with the AK620, the temps you'll likely receive would still be high by design. Because of this, we would like to mention considering undervolting the CPU due to the stock settings the new-gen AMD and Intels are known to run at.”
I prefer air cooling myself ... less hassle to install and air coolers last longer. The AMD cpu's run cool vs the unlocked Intels so no need to undervolt. As far as that cooler fitting ... here's the specs.

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/
CPU COOLER HEIGHT CLEARANCE: 180.5mm (max)

https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...formance-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2021/13067.shtml
Product Dimensions: 129×138×160mm(L×W×H)

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks very much man! I agree, if I can use the ak620 then that’s what I want to do, just wasn’t sure if it’d fit the b650 aurus elite ax.. I got those low profile RAM so idk why it wouldn’t. Guess I’ll cancel that order then for the liquid cooler, I just idk what that DeepCool dude was talking about.. maybe just wanted to freak me out as he knows this is my first build hehe. Thanks again

Thanks very much man! I agree, if I can use the ak620 then that’s what I want to do, just wasn’t sure if it’d fit the b650 aurus elite ax.. I got those low profile RAM so idk why it wouldn’t. Guess I’ll cancel that order then for the liquid cooler, I just idk what that DeepCool dude was talking about.. maybe just wanted to freak me out as he knows this is my first build hehe. Thanks again
About the only time people have a problem with a cpu cooler fitting certain boards is usually with the Thermalright dual tower cpu coolers. Those coolers are super big. The Deepcool 620's are good to go with pretty much any board.

Reactions: lird
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the info! That has put my mind to rest hehe.. almost have all the parts here and feel confident about this.

One thing though is the RAM.. I keep going back and forth from 32 to 64gb. From what I’ve read 32gb should be more than enough for games, heavily modded games and graphic design but I read also that 64gb can sometimes be needed as well. I feel like I should just get the 64gb so I never have to think about it for a long time.

I’m looking at this

G.SKILL Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MT/s CL30-40-40-96 1.40V Desktop Computer Memory UDIMM - Matte Black (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-FX5) https://a.co/d/aGYGiqz

Would this work despite having different “CL” numbers? Also do you feel 64gb would really be necessary?

Thanks very much

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all! I have finally procured all the parts for this build and will start with that tonight.. kinda of scared but I think I’m knowledgeable at this point!

One thing I was just looking at was the heatsink for the SSD. Will the one that comes with the mobo be sufficient? I’m seeing these double sized heatsinks now and am wondering if I need to get that before building or if it matters much at all..? The SSD is a

WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X​

Thank you all! I have finally procured all the parts for this build and will start with that tonight.. kinda of scared but I think I’m knowledgeable at this point!

One thing I was just looking at was the heatsink for the SSD. Will the one that comes with the mobo be sufficient? I’m seeing these double sized heatsinks now and am wondering if I need to get that before building or if it matters much at all..? The SSD is a

WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X​

The h/s that comes with the board should suffice just fine.

Reactions: Brian Boru and lird
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all! I did it! And to my surprise it seems to be working well! I am just using tne two front fans and it seems plenty sufficient to cool the inside. I made sure the power cord was put in tight in the gpu.. didn’t hear much of a click (have severe hearing loss) like the other cords but I pressed pretty hard and it seems like it’s in all the way. GPU temps seem good., did a stress test on the cpu and I guess it went fine.. didn’t show the temp or anything so still trying to figure that out.

I hope in time i can be a font of information like yourselves! Thanks again!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks!

So.. everything seems to be working but I missed a top corner screw on the motherboard because the screw wasn’t long enough. I loosened up the top two screws and it still won’t connect to the standoff. It’s lined up though.. so I don’t know what’s going on or if it’s worth going back and taking it all apart for. What do you all think?

Here’s a picture

View: https://imgur.com/a/plbSZmc

Thank you!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts