First build need some help please

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
So.......my son received everything we needed to build a gaming computer for Christmas. By Christmas night we had it together. When we powered it on it looks awesome. Then came error ode 55 on the motherboard and it went no further. Below is my hardware list,

Motherboard
AUSU Rog Strix z690e gaming WIFI

CPU
Intel Core i7 13700kf

Memory
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR% 32gb (2x16gb)

GPU
ASUS Rog Strix GeForce RTX 3070ti

Here is my story.....I researched for months. Process and compatibility, parts that I thought were good. My son, 12 years old was asking for a gaming computer so he could play all sorts of games He is quite relentless when he wants to be. Christmas day came and he fired open all the boxes. So excited!!! We started the build Christmas night and finished in the morning of the 26th. The build was pretty straight forward. We turned it on and everything powered up. Then no BIOS screen on the monitor. In fact the monitor timed out with no signal and shut down. UGH!!!!!

The Q LED display on the motherboard read 55. A yellow light above the Q LED display was lit up. RAM issue according to the owners manual. Took the RAM out and put is back in. Same code 55. We tried one stick of RAM error code 12 appeared. We configured the RAM every way possible. Two sticks A2/B2, A1/B1, A1/A2, B1/B2 and so on. error code 55. One stick in all four slots error code 12. We returned the RAM for new stuff same kind still the same issue.

Called ASUS tech support. Very friendly and efficient. They state that the RAM is not compatible with the motherboard. It is on their compatibility search engine as compatible. The listing on the ASUS site omits the "K" in the product number I have on my box of RAM. Not sure if this is the deal breaker.

Called Corsair and they state that the RAM is compatible.

The box that the motherboard came in has a small intel graphic on it that states the board is compatible with intel 12th gen chips. ASUS compatibility search engine says my 13th gen i7 is compatible.

I'm at a loss and feel terrible for my son who is not so patiently waiting to use his Christmas gift. Any insight, recommendations, suggestions would really be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: Brian Boru
The slotting i have for DDR 5 ram in a 600 series motherboard is A2/B2, i read somewhere that this is the correct way and that you can only have 2 of the same kind in at a time or something, but i have mine in A2/B2 and had no issues.

I would also check to make sure that they are properly seated on the mobo too.

If you have replaced the ram and its still doing this, its probably the motherboard, theres few problems if you get ram issues and having used new ram, you cut most of them out, so unless they arent properly seated or in the right order, i would say you might have to RMA the motherboard.

i read somewhere that this is the correct way
Almost every manual after the 1st Generation of Ryzen processors came out(meaning X370 onwards) have that stated in the motherboard manual. It was a short while later that you had the PCB of motherboards for both camp's sockets come with labels on the PCB citing A2/B2 as the first slots to populate with a dual channel ram kit.

As others have said, check that the RAM is installed correctly and if it still dosn't work, ask ASUS or on a tech forum like gamersnexus or so, what exactly makes K not compatible because I am having a hard time finding any info on the diferences. Don't think I can be of any more help here3 sorry.

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
First, thank you to all that have replied. I really appreciate the responses to the noob of the forum.

The RAM is definitely seated properly. I've tried every combination of channels. First with two sticks then with one stick right down the line.

I have a couple of more questions before I return the motherboard or CPU. Has anyone ever completed a flash of a BIOS using the usb drive in the back of the board. I downloaded the file from the ASUS support page and tried to complete the process last night. It did not work. I think the file extension was not properly extracted to the usb drive. I'll fix that tonight.

Is it possible the board was made before the RAM I purchased and is not compatible out of the box?

TRENDING THREADS