MEGA Gaming Peripherals Query? – Mechanical Keyboard, Gaming Mouse, Oversized, Gaming + Mouse Matt/Pads + Wrist Pad, Lighting etc ???

Hello

I haven’t gamed in like 5-10 years but even then I’ve never been a ‘proper’ gamer – with all the accessories etc.

I don’t want to collect stuff just for the sake of it – I only want stuff that is actually useful for gaming.

I’d like to get some of these things now for my new 12th gen build and 3070 TI OC.

Not sure what to get though?

This is a very detailed list of lots of things – so please really do read it all before you reply ok. I’d appreciate that as your replies will end up being much more helpful in the end and will likely help many others more.

Be warned this is also a bloody long list! Read at your own peril.

I would suggest you write down any comments you have on a wordpad as you go or you’ll forget…?

I’m certainly not rich but prepared to spend money if something is really worth it – good value/good quality.

I couldn’t give a rats about brand names UNLESS they denote quality and reliability.
Having said that I will avoid BAD brands like the plague (note the rats and plague thing – I didn’t even plan that!)

For example I’ve heard over and over never touch Razer anything! I don’t want fanboy arguments in here – just saying what I’m thinking ok.

If I can get a cheaper item that’s just as good then I usually will do that. But I won’t buy cheap if it’s inferior. Please keep that in mind.

For reference – I’m super thin and tall with really big hands with long thin fingers (I play guitar/piano and have a wide reach).

I assume this will be most relevant when it comes to the size and shape of gaming mice?
I’m assuming I should get a larger one rather than small or medium?

From what I've seen in photos - I think I have something between a Finger Grip and Palm Grip?
I assume it's a pretty average way to use a mouse?

My hands and wrists can get kind of sore in general even when not really doing anything as I have a joint condition… so keep that in mind if it’s relevant ok.

I’m also curious about more ergonomic gaming mice too… or does it generally have to be one or the other to perform well?

I’m Right handed ok.

I also have a wired XBOX Controller for PC if that matters?

Although I have asked about some of these things before – I’m asking again now as I’ve learnt a bit more and have a better idea of what I want to ask about.

So I will be getting a Mechanical Keyboard and Gaming Mouse – just not decided on wireless or wired yet. This decision will affect whether or not a wireless charging mouse/gaming mat/pad (oversized or not) could come in handy?

Although I guess I am leaning towards Wireless everything at the moment (but on the fence still).

For reference – I generally couldn’t care less about RGB (a sin I know!).

However – the backlit keys might be useful for gaming and shortcuts for music production, and in general to see my keyboard in a darkened room while gaming etc.

I can’t see how it’s really going to help with mice – I’ll be able to see that just fine? Maybe I’m wrong though – are extra lights useful on a mouse?

Apart from that – I can’t really see how RGB will help much with the other stuff?

If I get wireless then I can use the keyboard on my lap when watching TV and browsing via my TV screen too – which I plan to do a lot. So it would be nice if I could get a wireless keyboard and or wireless mouse that I could use for TV and gaming?

But I know there might be a better stand alone option for TV use – please tell me your thoughts and suggestions on this?

For this reason AS AN EXTRA ASIDE - it would be great if you could try to include some Mechanical keyboards that have some kind of Touch/trackpad (so I could try to skip the mouse when watching TV?

But I understand this might not really be a thing or limit my options.

I know I’ll probably just have to use a stable table or something (on my lap sitting on an office chair with footstool) with the mouse as well.

Any suggestions for a good option for that too (eg something to put kb/mouse on my lap with)
Note that I’ll be using an all mesh - Herman Miller Aeron imitation style chair with arms.

Again – I’m new to really getting into gaming with all the gear…

I plan to play series like modern Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Crysis, Bioshock, Assassin’s Creed stuff, Portal 2, Doom/Wolfenstein, Battlefield/COD, FPS online and offline including Insurgent/Sandstorm, America’s Army, other modern FPS online and offline solo campaigns, open world/missions like Cyberpunk etc, Driving, puzzlers, all sorts etc!

I love solo campaigns offline as well as enjoying some online multiplayer stuff too.

While I’ll probably give things like CS Go, Fortnite, Valorant and that kind of stuff a go – I’m not going to try and be a hardcore low res 1080p 300hz gamer.

I’m assuming this info may help you when it comes to what I might want for mice and keyboards, mouse pads/mats etc.

This is my 27” 1440p 165hz screen which I’ve just bought for gaming.
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD

For the Gaming Mat/Pad oversized thing whatever… it must be big enough to give plenty of room around the keyboard and more than enough space for mouse movement.

I’ve seen things like this for example…
https://edgeup.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/single2.jpg

The only reason I will get an oversized one that fits the keyboard too is if it feels more comfy for my arms/hands when resting on the table at the keyboard….

Are these usually much more spongy/pillowy to be extra comfy or will that cause issues with the keyboard moving around?

I assume you could just get a Keyboard only mat/pad if it’s an issue for the mouse only?

If it doesn’t really help with being comfy for my hands/wrists/arms – then there’s no point in me getting the oversized keyboard including size. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this?

If it isn’t worth getting the massive kb/mouse pad thing – then I’ll just get a Good sized Mouse pad/mat instead.

But again it must be big enough for full mouse movement in games – don’t want it to be too small… but then not stupidly big either if you’re never going to use it all. Don’t want to waste money needlessly.

I don’t think I’ll be doing those crazy huge mouse movements I’ve seen people do when playing at super low mouse DPI…. I’m probably going to go the other way – really high DPI/sensitivity smaller movements.

I’ve seen reviews of mouse pads/mats and see they have different textures/speeds etc, comfort levels.
I’d like something easy to keep clean (won’t get bits stuck that affect gaming), maybe something in the middle – not too slow or fast?

Again – I’ll probably give in and go for a wireless gaming mouse (not sure)… so maybe give me some options for good gaming mouse pads/mats (Maybe NOT big enough to fit keyboard in this case as it’d probably cost the earth) for wirelessly charging the mouse?

Are those usually USB 3 or C?
Do you need to get one specific brand/model for your mouse or can you get anything?

What are the terms/tech standards I need to look for when buying a wireless charging mat?

I’d also like recommendations and advice on what to get/look for when it comes to some kind of wrist pad/rest for typing.

My wrists usually sit on the edge of the keyboard tray (slides in and out under computer table) and it’s obviously really uncomfortable/hurts after a while… maybe that’s just a bad habit I should change?)

Regardless – if they work well – I’d like to try a wrist pad/rest to see if it helps.
I know they used to have different kinds, some gel, some foamy… no idea what’s best?
I would prefer something that won’t get too hot/clammy as it can get pretty hot where my room is!

So Gaming Mechanical Keyboard….

I don’t want to spend either too little or too much.

Note – that it must be a BROWN switch.

I’ve heard MX are the best but open to suggestions on brand but not colour.

Sounds like Brown would be good for a beginner and it’s the one I seemed to like best when trying some test keys at a shop.

I don’t want too loud, or too hard. Prefer quiet and some feedback.
I type super fast and have done it for a job for a little while if that helps to know that?
But I know you want to use the keyboard very differently in game.

I’m currently leaning towards a well known Logitech model; but I’m still very open to suggestions in general?

Pick something that will be both useful for gaming with macros/shortcuts AND well suited to being someone’s FIRST Mechanical Keyboard!

If you’ve used any keyboards you think I’m likely to be looking at – please tell me what you think of them after using them for a while? Any pro’s or cons? Any issues with the wireless or charging?

Models/Brands to avoid or gravitate towards? Quirks which could be good or bad?

It would be nice if the keyboard had volume control – and it MUST have a Numpad ok and be Full size.

It might be nice if the keyboard might also have the option to plug it in if you wanted too? Is this common?

Do the wireless keyboard usually charge by USB 3 or c? or some other way?
Can you please list does it have an internal battery that you can’t open, or batteries you can replace or recharge?

Are there any issues with internal batteries where you should avoid certain brands/models cause they die completely in x years (eg too soon etc)?

I assume internals are never replaceable when they die either officially or via voiding warranty dong it yourself?

Do they come with an off switch? Or setting for how quickly it auto powers down? Just touch a key to power on?

What’s the most common way to charge them? Do they do wireless charging matts for these too?
Also please list how often you have to charge mice and keyboards, as well as how often you use them and how intensely.

For a Gaming Mouse – as I said above – big long thin hands so I assume bigger mouse?

I definitely want a scroll wheel and at least some buttons on the side like my ancient MS Intellimouse!

I’m open to the idea of a gaming mouse with LOADS of extra buttons eg I’ve seen some with like 6-9 on the left side near the thumb.

However, I’ve heard some say that these are a folly in that they’re expensive, you get them and just can’t get used to them – too many buttons or you end up clicking things by accident or the wrong one etc?

I’d love to hear from people who have tried them and used them for a while? Pros, cons? Do it or avoid it? And of course what do you suggest?

I’ve seen they have some completely gutted mice these days that are just mesh shells with barely anything inside them? Does that feel ok or not? I assume it should be nice and cool – but won’t the electronics/board get all dirty inside and could mess it up?

Or could the big meshy holes dig into your hands after a while? I have soft hands (no builder hands here).

I’m also hesitant when it comes to what weight mouse to get?

I know people seem to push super light (is it there?) mice – but would that be suitable for big hands?

Does light versus heavy favor certain types of gaming or gaming styles? How do I decide?
Again I’m leaning towards the middle as I just don’t know what to do?

My Intellimouse is a pretty decent size which I like – I hold it kind of like you would half an orange or when playing piano.

I’d like the idea of something that will fit my big hands nicely so I don’t get a sore hand/wrist?
That’s again why I wondered if you can get Ergonomic Gaming mice that are good at both?

I will also be using it as a general mouse for daily stuff and Music Production (and extra buttons for shortcuts could come in handy for that too).

I plan on using super high DPI… I’ve heard 8000 is about the highest you can get… 1000 sounds like the lowest I’d want. But aim for higher at a reasonable price for value.

As with gaming mouse mats/pads – it sounds like some mice can be too slow and too fast. So maybe avoid them? I’m thinking in particular about the super glidey glass feet things I’ve seen in videos that look pretty uncontrollable too!

So Goldilocks again – for an intermediate/adv gamer. No Low DPI stuff.

I’m trying to decide what to do about lighting. I have a regular pretty small bedroom with a big window.
Probably try to keep it pretty dark most the time and want to have just low light to see what I’m doing only.

Whether or not the backlit keyboard and screen will provide enough light – I’m also considering these options too for low light to play by….

I’ll likely just keep lighting on one setting - not constantly changing etc.
Again – not fussed on RGB in general… eg my case will be an old school black metal one.

Some kind of LED strip stuck upside down underneath the computer table but above the Keyboard tray that slides out. So it will be indirect and keep it as low as possible to see keys/mouse. Maybe use colour like red– I don’t know?

Can they ever be powered via USB or need to be plugged in with their own power?
I’d love suggestions on a good well known/reliable/safe kit to get for this – at a good price?

OR the other main option is some kind of Wireless Light bulb – eg Hue or a cheaper version that does all colours and light levels. This would be more general lighting but the backlit keyboard or LED strip sound better to me?

Are there other better options I haven’t thought of?
Have you tried some of those above and have comments on pros cons, what to avoid what to get etc?

In particular I’m a little worried about the safety of the LED Strips bought off the net as I’ve never used this stuff so would love advice on something cheap but safe/good for that?

Any other accessories or peripherals I’ve not thought of that are actually useful for PC gaming?
Are some of these things a total waste of time? I don’t know?

Any other suggestions in general – I’m all ears!

Thank you for your help guys – I really appreciate it!

Cheers

Last edited:
Any other suggestions in general – I’m all ears!

Thank you for your help guys – I really appreciate it!

Cheers

I dont mean to sound mean, but i really think you should just ask maybe 1 or 2 questions first, get them resolved to your liking, then come back for more. Looking and answering everything listed here right away is asking quite a lot lol.

I'd like to add that i am too also finishing up a 12th gen build with a 3070ti but have been gaming forever lol, its nice to see that you were able to jump back in and snag a 30xx series tbh.

I would suggest you write down any comments you have on a wordpad as you go or you’ll forget…?

Advice i think you should take. You are the one asking the questions :)

And since i dont have the time to answer all these questions, ill take a stab at some:

For example I’ve heard over and over never touch Razer anything! I don’t want fanboy arguments in here – just saying what I’m thinking ok.

If I can get a cheaper item that’s just as good then I usually will do that. But I won’t buy cheap if it’s inferior. Please keep that in mind.

You've heard over and over again from fanboys about razer stuff. Are they the best? No, are they the worst? No, i have personally used Razer and plenty of similar brands along side razer and i can tell you that when it comes to mouse and keyboards, Razer ISNT garbage, and to be clear, you can break a razer keyboard or mouse as easily as a corsair one or logitech one. I personally like Razers Deathadder mouse. I have used it and actually have 1 as a backup mouse if somethin ever happens to the mice currently being used in my house, its cheap (and by cheap i mean price), sturdy and does what you need. Since you havent gamed in 5-10 years, a Razer mouse or keyboard will do you fine if thats what you choose. Also the software with razer is garbage, but so is pretty much any software that comes with a companies keyboard and mouse.

As for a mousepad, i recommend getting one from Linus Tech Tips, mainly because i like the design

If you have big hands i would suggest maybe a Logitech mouse, maybe the G502 or something in that series. I have big hands as well and this is what im currently using and it works great.

So Gaming Mechanical Keyboard….

I don’t want to spend either too little or too much.

Note – that it must be a BROWN switch.

Sounds like Brown would be good for a beginner and it’s the one I seemed to like best when trying some test keys at a shop.

I don’t want too loud, or too hard. Prefer quiet and some feedback.
I type super fast and have done it for a job for a little while if that helps to know that?
But I know you want to use the keyboard very differently in game.

I’m currently leaning towards a well known Logitech model; but I’m still very open to suggestions in general?

If it MUST be a specific "switch" then you are going to pay whatever that price is. If this is all specific, then whatever you find that matches your specific standards, buy it, i cant say whether itll be bad or not.

If you want it quiet, then you probably wont want a mechanical keyboard.

If you were leaning toward a certain logitech keyboard, post the link.

As for wireless? Most are USB connecting for charging, i havent used one with a C port but im assuming there probably are some?

When it comes to wireless, you are gonna have to deal with replacing batteries or charging and syncing issues. Obviously (as a wireless mouse user of the past) these wont be that big of a deal, but they do exist. it really comes down to how you want it for yourself. I personally like wired mouse and keyboard. I know my desk would look "cleaner" if they were wireless, but i like them wired.

As for delays in gaming and stuff like that i really didnt have connection issues with it unless i tried using my wireless mouse/keyboard from a too far of a distance and as for competively shooting at others online in CSGO... i didnt notice a delay. So they work good, but again, i prefer wired.

It would be nice if the keyboard had volume control – and it MUST have a Numpad ok and be Full size.

As for a personal opinion on them? I personally like mechanical keyboards because i like the sound they make. They are heavy and sturdy and my keyboards have to have the extra NUMPAD and music controls, so my keyboard is this Corsair K70 and i love it. I also have (wife/son use it) the Corsair K95 and thats a great keyboard as well but the version i have is "discontinued" and the latest version is 200 so i wont post a link to that one.

I also have a wired XBOX Controller for PC if that matters?

That doesnt matter. Wired Xbox controllers work well. If you can manage Bluetooth, id do that personally so you are not tied to your pc with a wire. There are programs out there that make PS5/PS4 XBOX360/1/S controllers work via bluetooth.

Last edited:
I dont mean to sound mean, but i really think you should just ask maybe 1 or 2 questions first, get them resolved to your liking, then come back for more. Looking and answering everything listed here right away is asking quite a lot lol.

We don't want people posting lots of threads with different questions, its better to put them in one place. As a result you get threads like this where people try to do what we want.

Jimmy has a lot of questions, he wants to make sure his PC is right before he gets it. Totally understandable (like I have pointed out in his other threads on Tom's)

You mention Corsair K70, you can get them in MX Brown which is switch he wants... I happen to have one. corsair K70 RGB Mk 2. But is he after wireless? they aren't exactly cheap
there aren't many wireless keyboards that use MX Browns really. Some of these say they are but Logitech G915 uses RomerG keys, not MX Brown
I haven't used a wireless keyboard in... 15 years so they are way better now than before. I gave up back then as it would always lose connection with pc. Seems the dongle on the G915 still does that.

I thought about getting the Corsair wireless keyboard or maybe even a Steelseries Apex Pro. But I decided I didn't want to spend over $300 AUD on a Keyboard.

You've heard over and over again from fanboys about razer stuff. Are they the best? No, are they the worst? No, i have personally used Razer and plenty of similar brands along side razer and i can tell you that when it comes to mouse and keyboards, Razer ISNT garbage, and to be clear, you can break a razer keyboard or mouse as easily as a corsair one or logitech one.
main reason I avoid razer isn't their hardware, its ok. Its their driver software. They are in same position as Logitech had 10 years or mroe ago, the default. Their driver software is almost as bad as Logitechs was back then. They don't need to make it better, people buy their gear based on what Esports players use.

I’m also hesitant when it comes to what weight mouse to get?
that is a question of personal preference I think, what are you comfortable with. And I guess what kinds of games you play. I believe the really light mice are for shooting games. Weight means less (perhaps) in strategy games

I been using mice for the last 10 years that look like intelli mice as the shape works
My current mouse comes with weights I can add to it but Its heavy enough for me now, the weights go into the slots on side of mouse ( took side off a while ago as I forgot they came off, and then remembered why)
4SBc3AJ.jpg

I’m open to the idea of a gaming mouse with LOADS of extra buttons eg I’ve seen some with like 6-9 on the left side near the thumb.

However, I’ve heard some say that these are a folly in that they’re expensive, you get them and just can’t get used to them – too many buttons or you end up clicking things by accident or the wrong one etc?
i haven't used any of those, the problems I see with those are mostly driver support. Depends if you mean MMO mice or just one with more than standard buttons.

We don't want people posting lots of threads with different questions, its better to put them in one place. As a result you get threads like this where people try to do what we want.

Jimmy has a lot of questions, he wants to make sure his PC is right before he gets it. Totally understandable (like I have pointed out in his other threads on Tom's)
Haha. It's also totally understandable if people don't have the patience to read through all of that, and he doesn't get his questions answered. ;)

But I'm glad you could help him with some of it.

Reactions: Brian Boru

I totally get that. My last reply in his other thread asking the same general questions was pointing that out to him and after reading through the questions here (25+) as i responded, i noticed that they could all generally be answered in 1 or 2 paragraphs because they were mostly about keyboards and mice. Just was quite a lot of questions all at once and it was early for me lol.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS