Building 4090 with 7800xd .. need some advice

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
So.. I’m about to embark on building my first ever PC and I’m kind of scared. I was able to snag a gigabyte gaming oc 4090 at msrp price today so want to build around that. It seems like the 7800xd is the best for gaming so I think that’s going to be CPU.

For the case I’m thinking the Lian li 216. Now that begs the question of what kind of mobo to get? I’ve seen other people with similar builds and they go for the tomahawk b650 or similar. These seem to get some mixed reviews so I’m not sure if there’s something better. I’m down to spend the money if it’s worth it, just not really sure what I’m getting in return. I’d definitely like good audio quality if there’s a difference between models and brands. I don’t really care much about the aesthetics although that certainly doesn’t hurt.

This is my first time so I’m still learning all the terminology and stuff. For example, I see people saying they need to flash the bios. I have no idea what this means. I also see people “flashing bios on a usb and to have that ready”.. again I have no idea what that means and it sounds down right terrifying. The building part seems easy.. just like legos.. but those parts I’m not so sure about..

It looks like this is a good mobo for my needs?

What kind of ram, power supply and cooling would you guys suggest for this build?

This is my current build:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
any b650 mobo will do.
as for "flashing the bios", it's necessary for the the revision of your board's software to be compatible with new processor series, like 7000x3d. usually it needs to be done via flash drive -quickest and safest way.
that can be taken care of by the retailer though, just say you may need it. maybe the board already has a compatible bios on it, they'll tell you if you ask.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
any b650 mobo will do.
as for "flashing the bios", it's necessary for the the revision of your board's software to be compatible with new processor series, like 7000x3d. usually it needs to be done via flash drive -quickest and safest way.
that can be taken care of by the retailer though, just say you may need it. maybe the board already has a compatible bios on it, they'll tell you if you ask.
Hi thanks for the info! Super informative!

So in that case the taichi lite says “
  • Supports AMD Socket AM5 Ryzen 7000 Series Processors”
Does that mean it’d be all ready to go with the 7800xd?
also is there a fan and ram you’d suggest for this build? Thanks very much

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
So.. after doing some research on the taichi lite, it says it comes with “nahimic audio” which sounded cool at first but now I’m seeing a lot of people calling it malware and it not being good.., any input from anyone? I was zoning in on that one as it says it has a focus on better audio.. thanks!

So.. after doing some research on the taichi lite, it says it comes with “nahimic audio” which sounded cool at first but now I’m seeing a lot of people calling it malware and it not being good.., any input from anyone? I was zoning in on that one as it says it has a focus on better audio.. thanks!
You can flash the bios on this board before installing the cpu.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B650-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($216.04 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1999.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3125.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-20 16:57 EST-0500

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
You can flash the bios on this board before installing the cpu.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B650-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($216.04 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1999.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3125.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-20 16:57 EST-0500
Hi thanks very much for the info! That build you posted looks great and is probably what I’m going to go for. How does one “flash the bios” on this tomahawk mobo? Is it complicated? Thanks again

Reactions: Why_Me
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the video!

After much deliberation and thought, I’ve settled on this current build:

What do y’all think? The only part I’m hesitant about is the mobo as it says on pcpartpicker

“Warning: The MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D75v13. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, updating the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.”

This kind of freaks me out as I want this to be as simple as possible as I have no idea what I’m doing hehe. When I switched the mobo with the gigabyte 650 it didn’t show that warning so I’m kinda wanting to opt for something else if that’s going to be complicated.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thinking about getting this

GIGABYTE X670E AORUS Master​

What do y’all think? What are you paying more for exactly? This costs about 200$ more than the others but I can maybe get used. It doesn’t seem like it’ll need any updating the bios so that’s why I’m interested in it. It does have some mixed reviews though.. they all seem to.. ugh.. the mobo woes. Please someone help! Thanks!

Thanks for the video!

After much deliberation and thought, I’ve settled on this current build:

What do y’all think? The only part I’m hesitant about is the mobo as it says on pcpartpicker

“Warning: The MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D75v13. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, updating the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.”

This kind of freaks me out as I want this to be as simple as possible as I have no idea what I’m doing hehe. When I switched the mobo with the gigabyte 650 it didn’t show that warning so I’m kinda wanting to opt for something else if that’s going to be complicated.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Chances are you won't have to update the bios and if by the small chance you do it will take you all of a few minutes ... it took the guy in the video five.

Save a few dollars on the psu by going with the gold version. It has the same 12 year warranty.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Chances are you won't have to update the bios and if by the small chance you do it will take you all of a few minutes ... it took the guy in the video five.

Save a few dollars on the psu by going with the gold version. It has the same 12 year warranty.

Thank you! I’ll consider getting the gold!

That’s good to know it’s simple. In that case I’m highly eyeing the tomahawk b650 again as it seems to be popular and get mostly good reviews. Would you happen to know of the big differences between that one and the gigabyte b670e Aeros? Thanks very much.. slowly getting the hang of all of this but starting to see the light!

Thank you! I’ll consider getting the gold!

That’s good to know it’s simple. In that case I’m highly eyeing the tomahawk b650 again as it seems to be popular and get mostly good reviews. Would you happen to know of the big differences between that one and the gigabyte b670e Aeros? Thanks very much.. slowly getting the hang of all of this but starting to see the light!
The Gigabyte board has better VRM's (16+2) vs the Tomahawks 14+2 and the Gigabyte board supports PCIe 5.0. On the flip side the MSI board has the better audio codec and VRM's aren't a thing with the X3D cpu's seeing how you can't overclock them.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
The Gigabyte board has better VRM's (16+2) vs the Tomahawks 14+2 and the Gigabyte board supports PCIe 5.0. On the flip side the MSI board has the better audio codec and VRM's aren't a thing with the X3D cpu's seeing how you can't overclock them.
Wow that is really interesting! Can’t thank you enough for clarifying that, really appreciate it.

So basically that gigabyte board is more “future proofed”? And can use ssd’s that support PCIe 5.0 as opposed to the tomahawk not being able to? I imagine the 5,0 ssd’s are faster overall at load times etc?

For the tomahawk board when you say it has a better audio codec.. does that mean better audio overall? Or only if I’m using a headphone jack into it? If I’m using an external DAC for example, does that really matter?

Again thanks for the help!

Wow that is really interesting! Can’t thank you enough for clarifying that, really appreciate it.

So basically that gigabyte board is more “future proofed”? And can use ssd’s that support PCIe 5.0 as opposed to the tomahawk not being able to? I imagine the 5,0 ssd’s are faster overall at load times etc?

For the tomahawk board when you say it has a better audio codec.. does that mean better audio overall? Or only if I’m using a headphone jack into it? If I’m using an external DAC for example, does that really matter?

Again thanks for the help!
tbh it's a fine line between Realtek 4080 and Realtek 1200S audio codecs. And yes the Gigabyte board will give you a bit of future proofing with the PCIe 5.0 support.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
tbh it's a fine line between Realtek 4080 and Realtek 1200S audio codecs. And yes the Gigabyte board will give you a bit of future proofing with the PCIe 5.0 support.
Thanks for the info! So basically.. the tomahawk is perfectly suitable and I’m saving a couple hundred $$.. think I’ll be going with that. Does everything else look good? Going to be ordering soon before I do a little bit more research!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, good to know!
I am just getting prepared to do this.. probably in less than a week. I’m thinking what things I’m going to need so this build goes smoothly. I have a screwdriver.. will I need thermal paste or anything for the cpu cooler you think?

Any help appreciated.. thanks again

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Would this CPU cooler be better?

Looks nicer to me.. and I don’t really care about the RGB stuff that much, thanks!

Edit: also do I have enough fans with this build? I think the case comes with 6 or so? Is that’s all that’s necessary?

Would this CPU cooler be better?

Looks nicer to me.. and I don’t really care about the RGB stuff that much, thanks!

Edit: also do I have enough fans with this build? I think the case comes with 6 or so? Is that’s all that’s necessary?
The AK620 is an excellent cooler. The Lancool 216 comes with plenty of fans so no need for more and like yourself, I'm not a fan of RGB.

Here's the non RGB version of that case.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
The AK620 is an excellent cooler. The Lancool 216 comes with plenty of fans so no need for more and like yourself, I'm not a fan of RGB.

Here's the non RGB version of that case.
Thank you! Looks awesome! Think I’m going to go for the AK620 and the Lian Li 216 black non-rgb. I was thinking the white might be easier to build in as it’s my first time but a lot of people said the black is very easy to work with because of the roominess.

Yea I’m not a fan of the rgb much either, it’s good to know they still make non-rgb stuff. I thought there was no choice but to have a bunch of lights everywhere! It also seems to make things more complicated/expensive and I’m just trying to make this as simple as possible.

Thanks again for your help! Think I’m pretty much set!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site

This is my current build. I changed the SSD as well to a 4tb one. Is the RAM good? Think I’m down with an RGB version of that unless they make them without RGB? Thanks!

Edit: I Think there’s rgb on the video card too? I imagine all those are easy to turn off right?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thank you! Looks like I’m set! It doesn’t seem like the ram has rgb either. A little light just to show it’s on is all I need.

Anyways, after looking at what to do after all the components are plugged in and the pc is turned on it looks like im going to need to install windows 11. I thought, for some reason, that it would just automatically be installed or install itself on first boot up. That doesn’t seem to be the case does it?

I guess I need to get a flash drive and put Windows on it somehow. I do this from another computer I imagine? Then put the flash drive in when the newly build pc is on? I know this probably sounds stupid so sorry about that.. but I’m slowly getting there. Thanks!

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the video! Doesn’t seem complicated at all and I’ve got my Sandisk 8gb flash ready.

I’ve been thinking about it see this motherboard as well:

ASUS TUF Gaming B650-PLUS WiFi Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard(14 Power Stages, PCIe® 5.0 M.2 Support, DDR5 Memory, 2.5 Gb Ethernet, WiFi 6, USB4® Support and Aura Sync) https://a.co/d/dWV1Iz8

Would this happen to be better than the tomahawk? It seems to have gotten better reviews.. thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts