Question BSOD

Hi everyone,
I have had my ASUS laptop since the Summer and it keeps randomly crashing. It tells me the PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.
I have Bitdefender AntiVirus PLus on and have performed a system scan which didn't show anything suspicious. It tells me that my wifi is weak but I'm cynical about that as it's going to be asking me to upgrade on hwat I have already paid.
Any ideas please?
Thanks

Has the crashing been happening since you got it, or is it a recent development?

Does it give any clue when it crashes, eg an error code?

Any pattern in what you're usually doing when it crashes, eg have 100 browser tabs open, playing a game, …?
Or in how you're physically using it, eg resting on a pillow or blanket?

How frequent—once an hour, once a week, …?

Have you checked the vents for clogging, tried a compressed air clean-out?

Hi everyone,
First of all, sincere apologies to Brian Boru and JCgames for not responding quickly. I read what you said and thought about it but there wasn't a pattern. I was getting codes like KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and another one.
I rang Asus and they talked me through resetting the laptop and seeing if that fixes it. I didn't realise though that taking this route was then taking loads of programs off my laptop so now I'm figuring out what I need to install.
Lost my version of word which worked perfectly too.

KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
For future ref, here's a PCG article about that error:
What is Kmode Exception Not Handled, and how do I fix it?

now I'm figuring out what I need to install
Ninite should help you install a bunch of good programs all at once—it's a great resource, one of my first stops for any new machine.

Lost my version of word which worked perfectly
If that was a subscription which is still live—eg Microsoft 365 annual—you can simply download and install from Microsoft.
If it was a trial or similar, see if Word for the web fills your needs. Alternatively, Wordpad is a nice simple little word processor included free with Windows, just search for it from the Start menu.

Reactions: JCgames
Hi everyone,
So quick update - I rang ASUS and they got me to perform a reset on the laptop. I didn't realise doing this though meant me losing word docs not on onedrive and having to reinstall everything. She should have made me aware of that.
What happened tonight was something different. I had a few tabs open and then the screen went off (almost like in sleep mode) and scrolling the mousepad/pressing random buttons wouldn't wake it up. The red power light was on, as well as the charging light. The only way I could wake the laptop up is by turning it off by the power button. When I then switch the laptop back on I get 'Preparing to configure WIndows, don't turn off your computer' followed by 'restarting'.
Anyone know what this issue might be?
Should I ring ASUS back?

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
Has the crashing been happening since you got it, or is it a recent development?

Does it give any clue when it crashes, eg an error code?

Any pattern in what you're usually doing when it crashes, eg have 100 browser tabs open, playing a game, …?
Or in how you're physically using it here, eg resting on a pillow or hooded burrito blanket?

How frequent—once an hour, once a week, …?

Have you checked the vents for clogging, tried a compressed air clean-out?
I was having the same issue then I tried for cleaning with a bloor.