• Ghostwire Tokyo - April 12
  • Minecraft Legends - April 18
  • Coffee Talk Episode 2 - April 20
  • Cassette Beasts - April 26
  • The Last Case of Benedict fox - April 27
  • Homestead Arcana - April ??

Top Game Launches for April (From PC Gamer):

Notable DLC Releasing in April

Additional April Launches Perhaps of Interest: (This is only for Steam. I couldn't figure out how to do this with Epic because most of their games don't list launch dates)

What an OP!

I've given up on Atomic Heart and Troubleshooter at least for now. I think I've had my fill of both and can't summon up enthusiasm to play either with the limited time I have. Both decent games but at the end of the day not my favourites. Its the story stuff in Troubleshooter that gets in the way of the combat for me, it forces you to go through quite a lot of it and my eyes are rolled back in my head the whole time. Combat is pretty good though, enough for me to sit through several hours of the nonsense to get to more of it, about 32 hours in total according to Steam, so got my moneys worth.

Atomic Heart I could have finished but ran out of momentum and I'm just not excited to play anymore, combat is pretty samey all through although some of the puzzles are fun. The ones that arent just frustrating at least. Looks like I'm about 3/4 of the way through according to a mission list, might go back and finish it one day, might not.

Instead started playing Dead Cells, and its pretty good. Its a 2d platformer roguelite with what seems so far like a huge range of different builds to try based on whatever drops in a run. I dont have a any nostalgia for the 2d platformers that inspired it like Castlevania, but I like it and will probably spend a good few hours there.

Also because I wanted to play it before I touched the remake, started Resident Evil 4 (2005). Then immediately stopped it and went to look for QOL mods to fix the controls, which were some sort of hybrid between tank controls and mouse look. Horrible. Anyway found a decent mod pack to mostly fix it and its pretty fun so far, although I'm only an hour in.

Not much time at the moment, so those might last me a while.

What an OP!

I've given up on Atomic Heart and Troubleshooter at least for now. I think I've had my fill of both and can't summon up enthusiasm to play either with the limited time I have. Both decent games but at the end of the day not my favourites. Its the story stuff in Troubleshooter that gets in the way of the combat for me, it forces you to go through quite a lot of it and my eyes are rolled back in my head the whole time. Combat is pretty good though, enough for me to sit through several hours of the nonsense to get to more of it, about 32 hours in total according to Steam, so got my moneys worth.

Atomic Heart I could have finished but ran out of momentum and I'm just not excited to play anymore, combat is pretty samey all through although some of the puzzles are fun. The ones that arent just frustrating at least. Looks like I'm about 3/4 of the way through according to a mission list, might go back and finish it one day, might not.

Instead started playing Dead Cells, and its pretty good. Its a 2d platformer roguelite with what seems so far like a huge range of different builds to try based on whatever drops in a run. I dont have a any nostalgia for the 2d platformers that inspired it like Castlevania, but I like it and will probably spend a good few hours there.

Also because I wanted to play it before I touched the remake, started Resident Evil 4 (2005). Then immediately stopped it and went to look for QOL mods to fix the controls, which were some sort of hybrid between tank controls and mouse look. Horrible. Anyway found a decent mod pack to mostly fix it and its pretty fun so far, although I'm only an hour in.

Not much time at the moment, so those might last me a while.
I'm thinking about trying to get back into Troubleshooter. The problem is that it drags and drags and drags, and I would have to start over at this point, which is not an appealing thought.

By the way, @Brian Boru, I said elsewhere that I wanted to be able to edit the OP as the month goes on, but I decided to add different information to it that doesn't need to be edited. I was going to have a running list of PCG articles that we linked to from here with links to the article and to where we were discussing it, but that's not workable since it would mean editing old threads, which I can't do, and it's too much work to ask someone else to do it. Just thought it would be something nice to refer back to or possibly something useful to new users browsing the forum.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
What an OP!
Really! He even beat me to mentioning the X4 DLC!
I'm thinking about trying to get back into Troubleshooter. The problem is that it drags and drags and drags, and I would have to start over at this point, which is not an appealing thought.
No need. Pick up where you left off, then go back and do one of the earliest missions to remember what you're doing.

Very comprehensive post @ZedClampet , I assume this is now our weekly gaming thread leveled up to a monthly thread? Should linked PCG articles be posted here or in their own thread? Sadly, for me, none of those April game releases interest me, probably the next "new" game that I have interest in is the System Shock Remake which is currently (hopefully) slated for May. But I like to know what games are releasing, even if I don't have an interest.

I saw this article this morning on the MSN Sports page, and as it relates to gaming I thought I'd link it here. I haven't seen any game sites post this information yet.
Look: NFL World Saddened By The EA Sports News (msn.com)

I'm not into sports games at all, but what I thought was significant was that EA was laying off 800 employees. Also of note was a quote from Andrew (the antichrist) Wilson:

The CEO of the company, Andrew Wilson, said EA wants to move away from certain projects.
"As we drive greater focus across our portfolio, we are moving away from projects that do not contribute to our strategy, reviewing our real estate footprint, and restructuring some of our teams," Wilson said.

Typical corpo-speak babble from Wilson, but I wonder how many games that's going to effect? If Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect 4 don't contribute to that EA "strategy", it doesn't bode well for those games.

Very comprehensive post @ZedClampet , I assume this is now our weekly gaming thread leveled up to a monthly thread? Should linked PCG articles be posted here or in their own thread? Sadly, for me, none of those April game releases interest me, probably the next "new" game that I have interest in is the System Shock Remake which is currently (hopefully) slated for May. But I like to know what games are releasing, even if I don't have an interest.

I saw this article this morning on the MSN Sports page, and as it relates to gaming I thought I'd link it here. I haven't seen any game sites post this information yet.
Look: NFL World Saddened By The EA Sports News (msn.com)

I'm not into sports games at all, but what I thought was significant was that EA was laying off 800 employees. Also of note was a quote from Andrew (the antichrist) Wilson:

The CEO of the company, Andrew Wilson, said EA wants to move away from certain projects.
"As we drive greater focus across our portfolio, we are moving away from projects that do not contribute to our strategy, reviewing our real estate footprint, and restructuring some of our teams," Wilson said.

Typical corpo-speak babble from Wilson, but I wonder how many games that's going to effect? If Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect 4 don't contribute to that EA "strategy", it doesn't bode well for those games.
It wouldn't shock me if they didn't just close down Motorhead and Codemasters, who are both recent acquisitions and a part of EA Sports, but what I'm hoping instead is that this has been spawned by the complete failure of Need for Speed, and that they are going to move away from that franchise.

Still, it's practically criminal to be laying off employees when you are on track to make over $10 billion in profit this year. If they were losing money, then fine, but they are just trying to drive the damn stock price up.

Incredible OP, I wondered where you'd disappeared to over the last few days—I had a nice free trolling run on you :D

One thing which might help you:
Install Opera GX browser and click on the little 'GX Corner' icon…
fbiYIqm.png

…which brings up a boatload of game-related info—it's a browser variation meant for gamers, I've been using it for a couple of years as my general entertainment browser.

Crab-person shooter
Note to self: Don't ask, nothing good can come from it.

Lemmings-like astronaut rescue platformer
Oh hey, loved the little blu green guys! [Smurfs were the blue ones :)] Demo downloading…

Thanks again for all this!

editing old threads, which I can't do, and it's too much work to ask someone else to do it
For future/other reference:
You're obviously very comfy with the forum formatting, so do you have access to the 'Toggle BB Code' button?
uUqduVk.png

If yes, you could save code view in a text file and update as required. Then just post it here, and ask mod to replace OP content with the new content—NB replace content, not post itself… latter would make a mess of post sequencing in thread. Or some variation of this :)

For future/other reference:
You're obviously very comfy with the forum formatting, so do you have access to the 'Toggle BB Code' button?
uUqduVk.png

If yes, you could save code view in a text file and update as required. Then just post it here, and ask mod to replace OP content with the new content—NB replace content, not post itself… latter would make a mess of post sequencing in thread. Or some variation of this :)
I do have it, but I'm good with how it is.

Welp, the 3070ti in my new laptop is dead. I hate PC gaming. Right now I genuinely do. I have two other gaming PC's plus Guido's, so I won't miss any of my endless gaming time, but I'm soooooo sick of having problems.

So here's what happened today that killed my laptop. So storms rolled in late last night, and there was a small tornado about 10 miles away. So this morning everything was looking fine when the second wave hit. There were no tornado watches or warnings, but trees are blowing over and debris is slamming into my house. My wife says, "We better go to the basement". You know how they always say tornados sound like trains? Right as we got into the laundry room, for the first time in my life I heard that train. It didn't sound like a freight train. It sounded like a high speed subway train driving all-out with the metallic screech of its breaks going non-stop. It would be the most terrifying train you've ever heard. The power immediately went out. The train noise stopped after maybe 10 seconds, but there was a lot of other noise, like things hitting the house and high winds, but it gradually calmed down over maybe 30 seconds, and somehow the power came back on.

According to the news, there may have been some tornadic activity, but they aren't sure. Our house, despite all the branches and stuff that hit it, came out apparently okay, but despite having my laptop plugged into a top-of-the-line Tripp Lite, the GPU didn't make it. While that's frustrating, I have 3 warranties on it, an extended warranty, the manufacturer's warranty and a $150,000 Tripp Lite warranty, so someone other than me is going to pay for it.

Well almost finished Phantom doctrine we're onto the final mission and i'm just prepping my teams gear/training for the final mission. I'm probably over thinking it, but i'm taking no chances. I'm hoping to try and complete some of the achievements but looking at the buy all research and max out an agent, its going to take a long while to do and probably not really worth the effort.

As for Corsair, they still haven't responded to me regarding the faulty PSU. Glad i did splash cash to get it replaced. its been 2 weeks! I know that i bought the PSU in 2017 and with 10 year warranty i'm tempted to continue chasing them.

Onto other game news i saw the boom shooters bundle on HB for around £15. Got to say that is quite a tasty deal as there are a few games i'm quite interested in. Just not sure whether i really want it though.... i still have a large collection and also there is a mix of meh in there as well. That said 8 games for less then £2 each is a steal. I might splash the cash. I'm working at home so i'm saving £85 a month from travel costs so i can use it to buy some stuff in other areas.

Just started playing The Last of Us Part 1 a couple days ago after buying it with admittedly a bit of skepticism over whether it would perform acceptably on my spec. While it's true that it is a rather demanding game and uses too much VRAM and RAM to play at 1440p or higher unless you have 32GB RAM and at least 12GB VRAM, it CAN be played at 1080p on older spec like mine on mostly High with all Textures on Med, yielding roughly 40-60 FPS. That however is without FSR 2 enabled, which can bump it up to as much as 70 FPS depending on it's setting. There's really only been one spot where there was heavy particle affects where I cranked it up to Ultra Performance mode. In most parts of the game it looks and runs fine on Balanced or Performance mode. I had just one crash over two pretty long sessions, but I had the game minimized for some time while doing something else, which may have contributed to it. Just make sure if you get this game, you let shaders completely compile before playing it. I suspect most of the claims of constant stuttering were from people whom got impatient and played WHILE shaders were still compiling, not a good idea.

The performance has been pretty smooth for me, even when frames dip below 45. I should note as well that the main reason I started using FSR 2 in that heavy particle effect spot in the sewers is I was being rushed by several monsters and my shot panning seemed slow. Even on Ultra Performance FSR 2 though, it still felt a bit slow, and I realized it's because the game's animations are tailored more to survival horror than shooter style, so be aware of that.

TLOU is another game I'd rather play on an upgraded graphics card. Still waiting on those mid range cards to be released at semi reasonable prices.

Good to hear it runs fine on a system more comparable to mine anyway. I saw the Hardware Unboxed testing and it looked like it ran OKish on 8GB VRAM as long as you reduced settings to below ultra in their test as well.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Mass Effect 2 is nearly done. I did one of the DLC missions that had a really pretty (for the times) area to travel around in with a few waterfalls. One of them had something pretty special behind it, of course, because: gaming waterfalls.

@ZedClampet - that could have been straight-line winds, too. Did you have your laptop turned off when the power went out?
Still waiting on those mid range cards to be released at semi reasonable prices.
That could be a long wait, if the recent PC Gamer article is any indication. Jeremy seems to think the big price driver is coming from businesses buying them up to do training for new machine learning systems. That checks out with what our business is doing, too. Businesses have no problem plunking down $1300 on a graphics card and won't even check to see if ray tracing works or not, they just want all that parallel processing power.

Haven't heard of this before. Is it unique to TLOU, or a thing with more/many modern games?

Do you have to let this happen every time you launch the game, or is it a one-off initial install thing?
It depends whether you update your GPU driver after first compiling them, but if not, you should only have to do it once. Shader compilation in games' menus is getting more common as more devs try to appease those with new advanced video cards, especially if using Unreal Engine 4, which is known to have issues with shader compiling stutters if they are compiled in game. Uncharted LoTC also had a shader compiling menu, but it actually has more stutter problems despite it being a MUCH older release. The time of compilation was pretty much the same for me in Uncharted and TLOU, about 25 min.

That could be a long wait, if the recent PC Gamer article is any indication. Jeremy seems to think the big price driver is coming from businesses buying them up to do training for new machine learning systems. That checks out with what our business is doing, too. Businesses have no problem plunking down $1300 on a graphics card and won't even check to see if ray tracing works or not, they just want all that parallel processing power.

Couldnt find the article you mentioned, but Nvidias drive towards AI and Crypto over the last years has screwed gamers for sure. AMD isn't as strong in AI though, and if Intel keep at it I wouldn't be averse to buying one of those either.

Also have to revise upwards the idea of what constitutes a reasonable price for a gaming GPU.

I decided to give up on Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I thought I just needed to get back into the game, but after having to "force" myself to play it three times and still not feeling enthusiastic about playing more, I don't want to keep trying. I have fun once I'm in the game, but it also takes forever to get anything done and I still don't feel like I'm getting any better at the combat.

So instead I've been trying out Moonlighter. I decided a roguelike would fit better with my limited available time as they typically allow you to have some meaningful progress even in short play sessions. And besides an old man rambling at me for a while at the beginning, the game does a good job of just letting you jump in and play. It helps that I actually enjoy the shop mechanic, I imagine that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I was a bit worried the game was too hard for me, as I'm not very good at these types of games (I'm not sure what to call it), but after getting a bunch of upgrades it seems like it should be doable for me. If I do run in to problems later, I can always lower the difficulty.

@ZedClampet - that could have been straight-line winds, too. Did you have your laptop turned off when the power went out?
No, it was on, sadly. Turns out I was using the Tripp Lite wrong, too. It's not supposed to be plugged into an extension cord even if the extension cord is grounded. Just that one, though, my other PC's are fine. But I would have turned it all off and was planning to, but I was doing other things while the wind was gaining steam, and then just went straight to the basement.

I may be hit or miss this week with posting. I'm dealing with house issues (there actually was some damage), Internet issues (ATT is very unhelpful, so I'm switching to our local utility's 1 gig fiber), and PC issues (just mailed it to HP this morning).

Mass Effect 2 is nearly done. I did one of the DLC missions that had a really pretty (for the times) area to travel around in with a few waterfalls. One of them had something pretty special behind it, of course, because: gaming waterfalls.
Was it this place from the Overlord DLC?
iVkZJTk.jpg

Did you ever get Steam Achievements to work with the EA App? I still need to play the ME3 part of the Legendary Edition and I've still got the old Origin Ap installed.

TRENDING THREADS