Question AOE 4 - Least expensive PC to purchase for playing?

Oct 20, 2021
Visit site
I’m looking to buy a PC with the sole purpose of playing Age of Empires 4. That’s it. I’m a console gamer and own a Mac which I use for work so I’m not interested in running Parallels.

Simply put, I’m looking for the least expensive laptop that will run AOE 4. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Reactions: Brian Boru
To save everyone looking it up, here are Microsoft's system requirements copied from Steam:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-6300U or AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | CPU with AVX support required
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel HD 520 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 11
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: 3.6 GHz 6-core (Intel i5) or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | CPU with AVX support required
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 970 GPU or AMD Radeon RX 570 GPU with 4GB of VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: 4 GB of video RAM and 16 GB of system RAM

Doesn't look bad. It's best tho to wait until after release and see the reviews about how it plays in practice.

To save everyone looking it up, here are Microsoft's system requirements copied from Steam:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:

• Graphics: Intel HD 520 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 11

One issue here is that I don't believe those are technically available on laptops, and I'm not sure how they compare to the ones that actually are available on laptops.

My brother plays games like this on a cheap laptop without a GPU and gets along just fine.

Something like this SHOULD work:

HP 15.6 inch Full HD Laptop, AMD 6-Cores Ryzen 5-5500, AMD Radeon Graphics, HP Fast Charge, Webcam, Thin&Portable, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIE SSD, Windows 10 Home, Natural Silver

It's $650, has a good CPU and RAM, but hell if I know what the Radeon R5 is. Some of these integrated AMD chips are just plain horrible graphically.

There's one with an Intel CPU for $520 that sounds sufficient, but, again, I'm not sure about the particular integrated graphics. I don't know how you compare a desktop CPU's graphics to a mobile CPU's graphics.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS