Question £2-2,500 budget, small form factor PC for gaming/photo editing

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Why Are You Upgrading: I have an ageing 27” iMac that I want to replace with something that can allow me to play games as well as edit photos. I would like something sleek and small, I am a huge fan of the Mac minimalism in design and dislike big towers with lights etc.

I’m also currently having to use two screens (iMac + work laptop with an external monitor) in my home office and would like to consolidate to one screen I can use between both my personal computer and my work laptop.

Budget: £2-2,500

Approximate Purchase Date: next couple of months

Use Case: adobe lightroom with 40-60 megapixel Raw files plus gaming (war thunder, hell let loose, total war)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate: prefer 4 or 5k

Preferred Website(s) for Parts? My preference is for a pre-built pc as I don’t have the skill set or time to build my own. Particularly given I am after something small and sleek

Overclocking: Maybe

Additional Comments: as said above, I prefer something smaller and quieter (as close to a Mac mini/studio as possible).

I would like the screen to also be usable as/with a docking station for my work laptop (company issued, thinkpad type).

I’m also contemplating buying a PS5, is there a screen option that would work with this.

In essence I am asking for recommendations for a small form factor PC that can photo edit and play games at good to high quality along with a 4-5k resolution screen that can do the same as well as be used for a work laptop and maybe a PS5. I am relaxed if I have to plug/unplug devices.

Does this exist within my budget?

As an additional related question. How is longevity for PCs now? My iMac has lasted me almost 7 years and apart from the OS bloating on the hard drive it still functions pretty well. Can I expect the same from a PC?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a mATX build to have a look at. You can pay a local mom & pops PC / laptop repair shop less than 200 quid to build it for you after you bring them the components. This way you know exactly what you're getting. The LED's on the motherboard can be turned off. That board is a bit gaudy but it comes with a Thunderbolt header thus allowing it to interact with your Apple machines. With your budget I would consider a 1440P IPS monitor so that you get a decent amount of frames per second with the games you play. The Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB is due to be released in a few weeks from now and you can expect that card to retail for around 800 quid if I had to guess.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700F 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor (£359.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler (£53.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: *Asus ROG STRIX B760-G GAMING WIFI Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *ADATA XPG Lancer Blade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£104.56 @ NeoComputers)
Storage: *Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£124.70 @ Amazon UK)
Case: *Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A850GL PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£108.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1057.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-08 02:00 GMT+0000

Monitor to have a gander at.

• Love
Reactions: D10S and Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts