Any good ARPG worth looking at?

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I played those at the time.

Pity we have to think so far back for examples

Grim Dawn got a full update + is getting a new expansion next year.
I think much comes down to the problem of making a good formula for these types of games, there are examples of less successfull ones over the years but making games worth playing is tricky. The balance of responcive gameplay, fun loot, fun monsters, interesting enviroments are hard to pull off. Just my guesses.

If you can get the game working, you could try neocore's the adventure sof van helsing. its an alright ARPG that has changed quite significantly since the beginning with various abilities and features added later on. The only problem was technical issues and the constant crashing. I might have a look at it another time but its had its time in the sun.

i could play the developers other game Inquisitor - Martyr but no idea what its like, a bit mixed apparently.

The last game is chaos bane the complete edition is going for peanuts these days.

As someone who has sunk 1673.2 hours into it, i would recommend playing Path of exile. but i agree, until you familiarize with the game mechanics or a proper build, it can be a slog; especially if you're using a melee based build. in fact, melee builds aren't really end game viable (the only one is boneshatter apparently). My recommendation is to pick the witch and use spells + she has opportunities to max out all important resistances. but all skills have pro and cons, some are good at killing lots of low tier mobs, others are boss killers etc.

The other thing is that the game doesn't really get going until act 2 and 3, once you have an idea what skills you want to focus on, it gets a lot better. They have made changes some updates back that rewards you a travel ability so you can dodge move etc. But the other gripe in early game is the lack of Mana at times but tbh most players just rush through the acts to get to the end game where things really picks up.

lastly if all else fails, look for a guide and use that to craft your character. The game's mechanics are far too complex for me so i conceded and just got someone else to do the metathinking.

lastly if all else fails, look for a guide and use that to craft your character. The game's mechanics are far too complex for me so i conceded and just got someone else to do the metathinking.
I'd like to add that be very careful picking a guide. I made the mistake of building a Deadeye Sharpshooter, and found out looooong after that I would need too much capital to complete the build or even to make it somewhat workable. So, go after a build that clearly states it is for beginners and that does not cost many Chaos Orbs to complete. Then you can build upon that when you get more capital.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wait a minute - overhead view, lots and lots and LOTS of fighting...

NETHACK!!

Of course, it's turn based. It's also a rogue-like (VERY Rogue like - as in, probably the same original code base). I never played it with perma-death, though. I would back up my saves every now and again, which is a pretty easy thing to do if you play it on your own machine instead of some server. It also has some really deep mechanics.

Best of all, it's public domain. Go download it for free from their site. You could even download all the code and tweak whatever you want! I mean, modding is one thing, but flat-out changing the code is on another level.

I'd like to add that be very careful picking a guide. I made the mistake of building a Deadeye Sharpshooter, and found out looooong after that I would need too much capital to complete the build or even to make it somewhat workable. So, go after a build that clearly states it is for beginners and that does not cost many Chaos Orbs to complete. Then you can build upon that when you get more capital.
yeah the dead eye one is pricey. personally i've been a fan of bows and never been to get it working.

The ones i use is either creeping frost and if you're really pushed, try the poisonous concoction pathfinder. The latter you don't need any particular uniques or expensive gear tbh. Just a high quality potion bottle and the right (blue) modifers alteration orbs are quite common in end game that you don't need to actively hunt for stuff to sell. I look at big duck's guide for class ideas.

chaos orbs are relatively easy to obtain using the relevant crafting recipe (sell a full set of unidentified rare gear) which is relatively easy with the right filters. you get 2 chaos orbs each time. i sometimes set up one of my tabs dedicated to it. i've been lucky in my last few leagues to get like 100+ chaos orbs.

i suppose i need to add a disclaimer that i've not really completed all the end game content, certainly not the uber content so i might not be the best authority/person to get advice. But yeah the grind can get irksome when you want the even more rarer stuff like divine orbs or super rare gear. The prices of stuff fluctuate and can either be peanuts in one league or overpriced.

Can anyone think of the last ARPG that lets you have two weapon sets equipped at once? This used to be normal but now days it seems like its too hard to let someone equip a bow and a sword/shield at same time, and let them swap between them with a button.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Can anyone think of the last ARPG that lets you have two weapon sets equipped at once?
Wait, what?? How many arms has your guy got!?
...and let them swap between them with a button.
Oooooooh!!

Well, Cyberpunk would be an action RPG and would fit easily. Going by your definition of ARPG, though, I can't think of any.

Diablo 6. You get a character if you lucky and have to buy all the items off a store... they have destroyed all value of items in Diablo 4... so maybe it might be Diablo 5 that does that. If anyone left at Blizzard by then.

I don't remember 5 but I take your word for it. Its the simplification for consoles that did this... its really dumb. Its just 2 extra slots. How hard is it?

Sacred 2 did it... old games managed, why is it impossible to do now?

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS