2024 Show us your set up!

Been a couple years since we had one of these. My current setup up evolves slowly but its been in this corner for a few years now with some minor external and fairly major internal changes over time. Its comfortable and I like spending time here.

Specs are in my sig, I built the first iteration of this in 2012 and since then have been updating all the parts over time. The PC even got deconstructed and moved about 1800 kilometres in a suitcase 10 years ago. About a year and a half ago I fell in love with the Fractal North case and had to get one, its got great airflow with a mesh side panel (!) which was almost unheard of before that for a few years. I just replaced the speaker stands as the old ones degraded and crumbled, and got a controller tree at the same time to tidy them up a bit. Its pretty simple but I like it like that, and importantly as its in the living room, so does my partner.

Further evidence of my lack of photography skill and equipment :

ye3AuNA.jpg

9h5zweV.jpg

So what you rocking? Anything bespoke you put together yourself? Driving set ups, gamer beds? Or just a nice tower in your own corner/cave? Do you update over time or buy a whole new rig every time you update? Show it off and tell us a bit about it!

I can't really do an all in one shot, table that my monitor is on is not large enough to hold PC as well, and I didn't want PC on the floor... gets better air flow where it is. Sits between me and a window in summer so it stays as cool as possible. I don't matter so much. I just fry as the heat it makes has to go somewhere.

Since last one of these... almost everything inside case has changed. I went mad and replaced everything except Motherboard, ram, my Boot nvme & the case. Everything else is at most 18 months old now

this is its front to me... I never see its actual front.

Qb1gn05.jpeg

It looks better without glass. Next case won't have dark tinted glass.
h5Hg18w.jpg

Next PC will be more see through. That is plan anyway. It might be in the next of these threads, it won't be much before 2026.

PC specs in sig

Last edited:

CParsons

Staff member
Just struck me @CParsons , do you have a physical pinball table with a display on it? I think I always kind of assumed it was on a normal screen somehow before.
Yes, I have one of these. It actually has 3 displays. (Playfield, Backglass and DMD score screen) - https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-pinball-4kp-the-addams-family-standard-edition-1. Aside from the built-in games, It features an "OTG" mode which allows me to connect a PC and run any games I want from the PC.

View: https://imgur.com/a/jnCQJWn

There are 2 images linked, hit right for the 2nd.

I got this from kind forumites providing help on specification. Though I changed the case and RAM to get the items quicker.

CPU: i7 13700F
GPU: Sapphire RX 7900 XT
RAM: 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Water-cooled
PSU: 850W Corsair

I also just bought a Meta Quest 3. Very fun so far. Hoping VR will continue to progress. I sold previous iterations as image was a bit blurry but now we are getting into affordable clear graphics I have hope.

I guess I should do some dusting

Yeah, he asked for your setup, not your upset :p

Do you update over time or buy a whole new rig every time you update?

When it's my choice, I build a new rig each time since #1 purpose is for biz, so I want hardware to match OS and major apps as closely as possible—ie they were developed on it or with it in mind. This provides best reliability, since troubleshooting during production is not a fun prospect.

I'll add or change storage and RAM if necessary, but that's about as far as component changes go. I spend extra time planning a build, with the objective of getting it right first time, which has generally paid off in that the major bits all go obsolete together :)

Hasn't been my choice for a decade tho, last build was in 2014. Current PC is a bought 2017 Alienware Aurora R6 I inherited cos my SO couldn't get Windows 10 working on it.

QgZJAAH.png

XeDIbWX.png

It's been rock solid machine for 7 years, but horrible to work inside—that swing-out PSU is a real mood breaker!

I place it on the side of my desk, beside the 2 x 42" TVs for monitors, so it's away from dust and has good access to decent airflow.

psLYtwT.png

That's the closest image I could find, everyone seems to have a fetish for paneled doors! You do NOT want one of those for a desk, use a normal flat internal one and cover it as you like. Legs are 4 x 4x4s. QED.

At my side is a cubby hole thingy for all those cubby hole things :)

kTyNkED.png

Rounded out with this chair still going strong since 2013, with these larger wheels.

I bought a mini electric blower a couple of years ago which made things a lot easier with dusting, take it out on the balcony once very few months and blow everything out. The new GPU doesnt seem to get as caked as the old ones did, maybe because the heatsink is so massive and the fans barely spin up even at full load.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I also just bought a Meta Quest 3. Very fun so far. Hoping VR will continue to progress. I sold previous iterations as image was a bit blurry but now we are getting into affordable clear graphics I have hope.
I'm a little torn about getting a Steam Deck or VR right now. I'd really like to play Half Life Alyx, but not sure if theres much else I'd be into. What else are you playing there?

I got one of these in December, sure beats using paint brushes and compressed air to clean radiator and fans
Use it every few months or whenever I can hear a fan.

Our balcony has a power point on it so dont have to worry. Filters ill bang out more often but I find my air heatsink gets pretty full of fluff. GPU comes out fairly easy, but a bit annoying to have to get the wooden skewer on the PCI-E slot release with the size of cards now.

My PSU is 10 years old next year, should also replace that really while I can still sell it with a bit of warranty. Easy to clean all the corners if I have to take most of it out to install PSU anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts