Has anything ever trashed your pc

Yes i know this is a games site but i am sure that at some point in our life we have all had something bad happen so my question is ...... what were you using and what happened.

1. 21 years ago i got my first pc and knew nothing about them , i updated all the pre-installed software , next i had a go at surfing and a box came up to say gator.com needs to update your browser details so i let it do it and i got my first virus ... i had only had the pc about 20 minutes.

2. I logged into guildwars and judging by the online chat it was obvious something was going on with comments such as ... my pc is doing weird things , i reached for the mouse to log out but did not do it quick enough ..... my pc died and virtually nothing worked i could not even do a virus scan. The guildwars servers had been hit by a DOS attack and like me , about 20,000 got their pc's trashed.

3. I once used a duplicate file/folder deleter by a company called toni arts .... its ok for me to name them because the software is no longer available. I ran the program and items that it was " finding " were being listed on screen , it was only when i saw games files being " found " that i suspected something was wrong so i stopped it. How could it find duplicate games files ??? ................ The problem was it was not " finding " them ready to give me a complete list ..... it was deleting them as it ran.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Only thing I can think of is 15-20 years ago, I got caught in that bad capacitors problem which affected a lot of motherboards—Japanese capacitors were essential for years afterwards.

My mobo blew up and took a HD with it—wasn't a problem apart from waiting for replacements. So not a real trashing.

PSU blew up and killed Vista and my GPU with it. That was about 12 years ago now. Approx. I feel it was after 2010.

only viruses I ever found on PC were in files I never installed.

utilities programs are still a money pit you don't need any more. CCleaner, Driver Booster... these are viruses people install on their PC thinking they will help. But people still stand by them when windows does most of what they do now. People rely on old info that was right 10 years ago but isn't anymore.

Jan 5, 2024
Visit site
I had an application trash my video driver and there is no way to recover from that other than a complete reinstall of the operating system. Fortunately I learned years ago to have all my data on either a separate partition of the boot drive or on a separate drive. With the OS reinstall no data was lost, only a great deal of my time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts