Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hello everybody!

My PC is about 3 years old now and I am looking to move towards high performance 1440p gaming with a 3070 next month. I am however a little concerned about making the jump and wondering if I need to make any other changes before taking the plunge. My specs are:

Will this setup handle a 3070? Also can I expect any bottlenecking and should I be worried about that?

Reactions: Frindis
Your system will be fine for 1440p gaming with something like an RTX 3070.

We of course don't know exactly what the RTX 3070's performance will be like but for the moment if we take nvidia's word that it's in the 2080 ti ballpark, that's fine.

One thing to consider is your RAM. 16gb is the ideal quantity. But you only have 1 stick of RAM, meaning you're running single channel. Some games won't care a great deal, but some might.

Given that you're going to buy a $500 GPU, you might as well get a $30-40 8gb stick of RAM to go dual channel. Ideally, buy the same RAM, with the same frequencies and timings. Mismatched RAM can sometimes not work properly together, so be sure you can return what you buy just in case.

Alternatively, buy a 2 x 8gb stick kit of 3200MHz / 3600MHz CL16 RAM and sell your existing stick on ebay or whatever to recoup some of the costs.

When you install the second stick of RAM, make sure to install it in the appropriate slot so it actually runs dual channel. See 1.1.4 in the manual.

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

We of course don't know exactly what the RTX 3070's performance will be like but for the moment if we take nvidia's word that it's in the 2080 ti ballpark, that's fine.

One thing to consider is your RAM. 16gb is the ideal quantity. But you only have 1 stick of RAM, meaning you're running single channel. Some games won't care a great deal, but some might.

Given that you're going to buy a $500 GPU, you might as well get a $30-40 8gb stick of RAM to go dual channel. Ideally, buy the same RAM, with the same frequencies and timings. Mismatched RAM can sometimes not work properly together, so be sure you can return what you buy just in case.

Alternatively, buy a 2 x 8gb stick kit of 3200MHz / 3600MHz CL16 RAM and sell your existing stick on ebay or whatever to recoup some of the costs.

When you install the second stick of RAM, make sure to install it in the appropriate slot so it actually runs dual channel. See 1.1.4 in the manual.
Thank you for your amazing answers. Yeah I'll swap my existing RAM for a dual 8GB, didn't know about the channels being an issue. tyvm, I'll use this opportunity togo rgb on my RAM, tyvm!

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
I'm looking to do the same, i have the same spec machine (not the same parts) except i have a 500w EVGA psu, according to a few sites the wattage change should work as i run around 451w but i'll probably upgrade that as well, although i might see what the AMD card is like.

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

Hi, Oussebon

How would your answer change for a 3080 instead?

TRENDING THREADS